Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Alaska cage?

Helloo all! Is the Alaska cage any good for mice? The bar spacing is 0.9cm, but the top of the corners are a little wider but I could get some garden wire and make it smaller? How many female mice could I have in there????????
Thank you!!!!!!!!! :D :) :o ;) :P

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I haven't actually seen an Alaska cage yet but it's certainly a good size for a group of 4-6 female mice. I think the cage can be folded flat so that might be why the top corners are a bit wider. If you're good at meshing cages you could certainly give it a go or you could perhaps look at the Barney cage which doesn't fold flat but has narrow bar spacing and is very popular with mouse and dwarf hamster owners. 
    We used ours for some fairly small and young mice with no problems. Don't think we had to mesh the corners either thinking back. Ours does have fairly consistent bar spacing though, looking at the corners I'm not at all sure the bar gaps there are bigger than anywhere else in the cage. It does seem to be pot luck exactly how good quality each individual Alaska cage is and I think we got fairly lucky with ours. Floodmouse, Moxyfru and Dot seemed really happy in there when they had it and they were definetly only 2-3 months old at the time :) We only moved them out to reintroduce them back to family members and get them as part of a bigger group later. Now ours has a dwarf hamster in it instead
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • PetaleafPetaleaf Lemming
    Thank you! Do you recommend any good cages for mice? And with small bars so even younger mice can't get out? Thank you :) 
    Er... It depends on what you're looking for really. Have you got any ideas roughly what you'd want size-wise at all?
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    Hmm... Probably the Alaska size?? Smaller bars maybe? I can't really have anything that is higher than 40cm(ish) as it would need to go on a shelf. I would like to get something that young mice wouldn't be able to slip through the bars and something with large(ish) doors? I don't really mind as long as there is lots of room for at least three female mice, if not four. I am a big fan of bins cages, but only with hamsters.
    Thank you :)
    Er... Thats a tough one. The grosvenor has 1cm bar spacing, the barney used to be about the Alaska size and with smaller bar spacing but its now 100cm long instead of 80cm (its 45cm tall too so may be too tall for you), the ferplast mary is close to the alaska in size but is a bit shorter, the downsides are its 1cm bar spacing and small front door... I'm starting to notice a distinct gap in the market for 80cm cages with small bar spacing now :P If smaller is ok there's always the duna multy (tank style) or the kios (downside being bad access)... To be honest if the Alaska'd be ok then I'd probably go for that, the corners should be easily covered if it comes to it anyway :)

Hopefully someone else can chip in with a few cages I don't know soon though and give you a few more options :)
    Sorry for being difficult :/ Thank you, this has helped a lot. I think I can just manage 45cms!  Thank you very much! Is there a chance that very small/young mice would get through the alaska bars (Not the corners, but the main bars in general)? Thank you :D
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 529
    Its not your fault, either I need to find more cages to know about or they need to make more cages for me to know about, one of the two :P
    I'm really fussy with cages myself actually so compared to what I've wanted before... Listing those really wasn't too bad. I've spent hours trawling through the internet to try and find my ideal cage before - then inevitably ended up compromising and going for one of the cages I'd been considering in the first place lol

Er... Honestly I think some really, really small/young mice might, but its definetly pretty unlikely I think. When we used ours for young mice they can't have been more than 2-3 months old and they'd been half-starved before we got them (but caught up quite a bit by overeating madly in their first cage lol), those three were fine but some even smaller may have a chance at getting out. The Barney, Kios and Duna Multy all have 7mm bar spacing and I don't think anything'd get out of that so maybe one of those'd be better if you wanted to be on the extra safe side? Or yeah, there may well be a cage out there that I urgently need to learn of thats just like the Alaska but with smaller bar spacing lol
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse

If I was looking for a narrow barred cage again for mice, I would consider this one, the Varassi. It comes in different sizes though. You don`t want the smallest one, it`s the middle size I think. It has small doors, but you may find access on other barred cages much the same unless, like the Alaska, the bar spacing is wider.

varazzi cage.jpg
    938 x 704 - 94K
    Thank you, this has helped so much!!!!!! Thank you :D :) ;)