Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Dolly's diet!

So Dolly is a bit of a heffalump at the moment... she weighs 68g and the vet says she's got to lose weight.  So I've cut down on fatty treats, but I do still want her to have something special every once in a while, especially since she has to put up with her eye drops.

I'm terrible with human nutrition, but I'll always make an effort with my mice, so if someone could educate me on low-fat mouse treats then I'd be very grateful.  Something especially useful would be things I can feed by hand, just to remind her that I'm not the enemy! :P
Tagged:

Comments

Just had a look at where I've got protein/fat/fibre of stuff listed for use with our mouse diet. Canary seed, pearl barley, rye flakes, barley flakes, puffed wheat and wholewheat fusili are all pretty low in fat. Would any of those help at all?
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    Ooh, canary seed is a good one, she loves that.  And I'll try hand-feeding her some barley or rye flakes and see if she likes them. :)
    I'm glad some of those helped :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Yoghurt drops are also good :) Especially if your mice have a sweet tooth :)
    Thanked by 1superwolf
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Can I just say that it made me giggle that you actually tagged "Heffalump!" :P I just spotted on the list of tags on the home page :P :P
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 529
    zany_toon said:

Can I just say that it made me giggle that you actually tagged "Heffalump!" :P I just spotted on the list of tags on the home page :P :P

I completely missed that, its fantastic!  :-& :-bd
    The heffalump in question would probably be less amused, but we'll keep it a secret between us. :P
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Cous-cous. It`s gluten free and high in fibre....but you need to feed in a small amount obviously (mouse portion in a bottle lid!) and add boiling water, allow to swell and then fork through. Just plain though, not the flavoured. x
    That's great April, I have some cous cous at home already. :)
    I keep meaning to buy a few packets myself and keep forgetting when I`m in the supermarket! Although I rarely eat rice or cous cous, usually just now and then. x
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

I'm not a huge fan of couscous but I love rice - eat it almost every day!

Poor Dolly, I know how hard it is to diet.

I like Uncle Ben`s rice but it bloats me so I don`t eat rice that often now. x