Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Broccoli...superfood for mice?

Did anyone see the Channel Four programme last night called Superfoods - The Real Story? In a nutshell, it told of chemicals contained in Broccoli that reduce/supress and can even kill off cancerous tumours. The programme featured a man who has/had prostate cancer, which even after chemo and radiotherapy, kept returning. His consultant asked him to consume one bowl of broccoli soup every day. The man did this. After more scans, his tumour first shrunk smaller and then disappeared!!! It seemed unlikely, but the scans showed this.

Got me thinking that maybe mice could be fed a very small raw piece of broccoli daily so as not to cause any bowel upset which could be beneficial? But before everyone rushed to feed broccoli to their meeces, I would suggest not overdoing it as too much fresh foods can upset their bowel/gut, so if your mice are not used to eating their greens, I would start with a very tiny piece and work up from that. Some mice may not even like broccoli so I suppose some may now eat it when offered. Hamsters love it and I make sure Chubs my Russian dwarf gets a fingernail sized piece every few days as hamsters can also suffer from tumours in old age.

The compound found in broccoli is far higher than in brussel sprouts, cauliflower or kale. x

Comments

• SummergirlSummergirl Lemming
    It might well be true. I have been giving mine broccoli twice a day (if they choose to eat it) ever since I got mice. Never had a tumor in any of them.
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Very interesting Summergirl. It`s something we can think about given the basis of what science is saying. I buy a bag of ordinary frozen broccoli florettes and take a small piece out and run it under water for ten seconds to thaw it and let it lie out for a few minutes and then offer it to my hamster, who nabs it without hesitation! Fresh broccoli to is good although the frozen stuff is just as good and will keep longer. x
    edited July 2015 Posts: 1,227

Just to add guys and if you want to google this, the compound in broccoli is called Sulforaphane. A Daily Mail extract also said that it "reduced the incidence of tumours in mice"...

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Just googled it, very interesting. I had some broccoli the other day but never even thought to give any to the mice. The hamster used to love veg but I gave up trying it with the mice because they always turned their little noses up at it - I think it's worth trying again.
    It could be the taste Ann as broccoli can have a bitterness about it unless it`s steamed or cooked a bit. I`m lucky that Chubs the hamster loves his little pieces he`s offered but mice can be picky. Such a shame because it may prove beneficial for them. x
  • BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse
    My mice absolutely love fresh veg! After the heatwave i've also found they adore peas! I'm on a 'super mega, irritating to other people, healthy diet' that includes a lot of broccoli and a lot of veg. I've noticed a huge difference in my skin, my hair, my energy levels and best of all my moods. 

I'm definitely be one of those healing foods people now. I've also heard wonders about turmeric for anti-cancer and tumour properties? Not a clue on how i'd give it to my mice though. 
    I`d love to live on non meat products and detox my life but we are surrounded by stress and junk food! We would be so much healthier as a nation if we only ate salads and nutritious anti-oxidants. x
    Yeah I totally get the stress thing. I kind of wish I could exercise as a form of stress release, but when it really gets to me, I reach for a bag of crisps or a choccie biscuit.  #:-S
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse

Yeah I totally get the stress thing. I kind of wish I could exercise as a form of stress release, but when it really gets to me, I reach for a bag of crisps or a choccie biscuit.  #:-S

Ditto for me, and unfortunately my mice seem to be the same!!! They won't eat fresh fruit or veg, but the second a biscuit is on the go all hell breaks loose! I would far prefer that they were on fresher food though. I don't mind being on junk myself, but I don't like it for my animals :-*
    I try not to eat too much sugar these days. I used to plonk chocolate bars and crisps into my shopping trolley most days, but now I`m a bit less keen to do so and look for a packet of Asda chicken and mayo sandwiches or Walkers `baked` ready salted crisps as they have less fat! Chubs my hamster gets his wee piece of fresh veg or apple every day so he doesn`t get shop-bought treats, just natural nuts, seeds and fresh stuff. I was the same when I had the mice and always fed them little bits of bread, tea biscuit etc... x

Havn`t had time today to do much searching on these but broccoli sprouts might be a good way of feeding mice broccoli:

broccoli sprouts.JPG
    419 x 325 - 22K
  • NickyNicky Mouse

Havn`t had time today to do much searching on these but broccoli sprouts might be a good way of feeding mice broccoli:

oohh I have some of these for the birds will try the mice with some
    Should make a nice treat for them Nicky if they like the taste. I suspect they need to be sprouted for the mice though as in the image. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Yes I have a sprouter so will give it a go
    God stuff! Let us know if they like them. :))
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Will do x
    I forgot to mention here that my mice go wild for Kale, pop corning all over the place. It's very very cute and it pleases me that they enjoy something healthy for once instead of just peanut butter on digestives....  X(
    It`s great that they enjoy some Kale Baggy. Some mice can be quite picky with fresh foods. They do love their tea biscuits though! x
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Yes I don't think I've known a mouse to refuse a tea biscuit, I'm sure kale is much better for them though!