Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Mouse has a swollen face and neck????

What is happening to her??? :(

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Could she have been stung by an insect?
  • staceyspetmicestaceyspetmice Lemming
    AnnB said:

Could she have been stung by an insect?

I'm not sure will she be okay? :(
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    edited July 2015 Posts: 1,229
    Has this just appeared Stacey? How is she? What are your immediate concerns?

Has this just appeared Stacey? How is she? What are your immediate concerns?

Yeah I think it has just appeared she's eating a drinking as what I've seen im just hoping she's going to be okay as I've never had this happen her face is all puffed and arou
    around her neck
  • superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    Poor girl.  I'd guess if she's eating and drinking then that's a good sign and you might want to just monitor her for now?

Taking pictures of her daily might help you to see how she's progressing.

Best wishes to you and her Stacey. :)
    That`s good that she`s eating/drinking, but she may need to see the vet if the swelling doesn`t go down just to get a second professional opinion. What age is she? Has she had anything new to eat in her diet or added to the cage/environment? x
    superwolf said:

Poor girl.  I'd guess if she's eating and drinking then that's a good sign and you might want to just monitor her for now?

Taking pictures of her daily might help you to see how she's progressing.

Best wishes to you and her Stacey. :)
    Thank you I hope she does get better as I hate for her leave me :(

That`s good that she`s eating/drinking, but she may need to see the vet if the swelling doesn`t go down just to get a second professional opinion. What age is she? Has she had anything new to eat in her diet or added to the cage/environment? x

Yeah I will see how she goes and if it doesn't go down by Wednesday I will book her into vets and see what's happening to her. She's only a year and a half and no everything else is the same I haven't changed anything for them x
    Yes, keep a close eye on this Stacey for any changes or behaviour. Sounds like some inflammation has occurred for some reason. It could be that she`s been bitten by something as Ann suggested or she may have some underlying health condition. See how she is tomorrow and if your worried, talk to a vet but make sure they are good with rodents as many won`t be able to diagnose it and prescribe Baytril anyway or an anti inflammatory in the hope it will work. x

Yes, keep a close eye on this Stacey for any changes or behaviour. Sounds like some inflammation has occurred for some reason. It could be that she`s been bitten by something as Ann suggested or she may have some underlying health condition. See how she is tomorrow and if your worried, talk to a vet but make sure they are good with rodents as many won`t be able to diagnose it and prescribe Baytril anyway or an anti inflammatory in the hope it will work. x

I just hope it's starts to go down she hasn't been out much today I will be checking on her before I go to bed to see how she is, I have a feeling it won't go down :( x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    I hope she gets well soon.
    Any news?

Any news?

She's still got a puffed face and neck :(
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I think it's time to book her in for that vet's appointment to find out what's going on.
    Swelling can cause pressure in or around that area so it might be a good idea to let a vet have a look if she`s currently managing this in case it`s something that might worsen, but respond to anflammatory treatment. Is her weight the same or have you noticed any other changes? x

Swelling can cause pressure in or around that area so it might be a good idea to let a vet have a look if she`s currently managing this in case it`s something that might worsen, but respond to anflammatory treatment. Is her weight the same or have you noticed any other changes? x

Her weight and eating and drinking is all fine. She's getting around okay and seems to be doing what a mousey should be. I will check her again today and see of its gone down at all if not I will book her in and see if a vet will have a look at her.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 1,229
    That's good that she`s carrying on regardless but frustrating that the swelling is unexplained. Very strange. I would weight up whether the swelling is affecting her eyes or generally doing much to affect her ability to function. Seeing a vet might help, but unless they can say exactly what the cause is, chances are they will give you Baytril for a suspected infection. I`m never one to race to a vet unless I feel it`s warranted and weigh up whether they could actually do anything. That`s not to say you wouldn`t see a good vet who may well be able to say what`s going on. But my scepticism of vets goes back a long time and apart from the times they prescribed Baytril for respiratory infections, I never felt they had much of a clue regarding mice illness in general. However, I would definitely see your vet if this swelling seems to either worsen, or seem to feel hard. She may have fluid build up or have a bite that has turned into some kind of abscess-like infection. That said, antibiotics could help. But you have to have a plan of action to get her antibiotics into her, which is never an easy task. x

That's good that she`s carrying on regardless but frustrating that the swelling is unexplained. Very strange. I would weight up whether the swelling is affecting her eyes or generally doing much to affect her ability to function. Seeing a vet might help, but unless they can say exactly what the cause is, chances are they will give you Baytril for a suspected infection. I`m never one to race to a vet unless I feel it`s warranted and weigh up whether they could actually do anything. That`s not to say you wouldn`t see a good vet who may well be able to say what`s going on. But my scepticism of vets goes back a long time and apart from the times they prescribed Baytril for respiratory infections, I never felt they had much of a clue regarding mice illness in general. However, I would definitely see your vet if this swelling seems to either worsen, or seem to feel hard. She may have fluid build up or have a bite that has turned into some kind of abscess-like infection. That said, antibiotics could help. But you have to have a plan of action to get her antibiotics into her, which is never an easy task. x

My vets seem to know little about mice and only give me things such as you've said. What are the clues in if the swelling is affecting her eyes just so I can look at her and know what I'm looking for. I feel so hopeless that I can't help her as much I would like too :( I would do anything for them but is such a struggle when nothing I can do about it.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

We all have stories of doctors and vets seemingly taking our money and prescribing medication without having a definite diagnosis. Sometimes they seem to get it wrong but in the case of a little mouse who would appear to have quite a serious problem that hasn't got any better over a 24-48 hour period (and who could potentially be suffering) I always think it's well worth seeking the advice of a qualified vet. It's true, sometimes they can't do much to help, in the case of a tumour for instance but what if it's an abscess that could be successfully treated with antibiotics. Isn't it better to have access to that qualified opinion and possible treatment in order to try and help the mouse?

Ann is right. At least if the vet is able to see the swelling they could give you an idea of what it is, or what it might be and prescribe accordingly. It does sound as though seeing the vet would put your mind at ease somewhat stacey rather than wait and see. What do you think?

I mentioned the eyes wondering if the face swelling was over her eye or lower down near the neck? x

AnnB said:

We all have stories of doctors and vets seemingly taking our money and prescribing medication without having a definite diagnosis. Sometimes they seem to get it wrong but in the case of a little mouse who would appear to have quite a serious problem that hasn't got any better over a 24-48 hour period (and who could potentially be suffering) I always think it's well worth seeking the advice of a qualified vet. It's true, sometimes they can't do much to help, in the case of a tumour for instance but what if it's an abscess that could be successfully treated with antibiotics. Isn't it better to have access to that qualified opinion and possible treatment in order to try and help the mouse?

I completely agree she's booked in for an appointment with the vets Saturday morning they said that's the only appointments left I did insist on it being ergent and Im not willing to wait any longer than it already has been, and she needs to see someone sooner than Saturday, she said she's going to see if she can get me in for tomorrow morning still waiting on her to phone me back.
  • superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    I hope you do get an earlier appointment, it must be horrible both for you and the mouse! :(
    Quite right to push for an earlier appointment since the swelling has been there for a few days already. Hope whatever the vet think is the cause is treatable, fingers crossed. x
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I really hope it turns out to be something treatable like an abscess and fingers crossed for an early appointment.
    The only oppointment time I could get was half 3 tomorrow so I took it. Hopefully I can get her sorted and back to good health. It's going to break my heart if there's nothing they can do for her :/
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Fingers crossed for her x
    Nicky said:

Fingers crossed for her x

Thank you, I'm dreading it tomorrow :'(
    Try not to worry. If the vet knows what it is and can treat it good. If treatment doesn`t work, then you can keep the vet informed and just decide if anything else will. x 
    They said it looked like she has been stung by something as he couldn't feel any lumps where the bump under her chin is. So he's gave me medacam medication for her to take
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Poor girl. Hope she gets better soon.