Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Samla bin?

Afternoon all! I was looking on the ikea website for some bin cages for the pair of Robos I plan to get within the next few months and I was wondering how many mice (female) can live in the the Samla bin? http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S49871676/#/S69903214 I know many hamster owners love this bin, but I plan to get my bin cages from wilko as my nearest ikea is two or three hours away. But I was just curious as I do plan (HOPEFULLY) to get some mice in the new year and I just wondered how many could live in it happily. Thank you :D :) :P

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse

Hi Petaleaf. The Simla storage bin is popular with hamster owners and it would make an equally good mouse habitat, but I would also want to mesh parts of it. The front for example, as it would hold a water bottle better than trying to hang one inside or over the bin edge having the lid secured. You would just need a small sheet of square mesh, some short bolts/nuts and washers and something to make the hole. A small hacksaw is good or a soldering iron to cut the plastic without it breaking.

You could even stack a couple like this image, but a single one with an internal shelf inside would be just as good.

stacked bin cages.JPG
    645 x 416 - 45K
  • PetaleafPetaleaf Lemming
    Thank you very much racingmouse! :D
    Forgot to mention, you may notice that the front panels on those Bins in the photo are old barred cage panels, so old, small cages can be used to make the panels rather than buying mesh. You just need to buy/find some short bolts, nuts and washers to secure it to the plastic. Melting holes in the plastic is easy, just use a metal knitting needle, heat it over a gas cooker ring and mark there you want the holes to be. Gently heat the needle and melt the holes one by one. Add the barred panel and screw on. x
  • PetaleafPetaleaf Lemming
    After a quick read through the thread I can't see anything saying how many mice the SAMLA'd be ok for. I'd think likely at least 6, maybe a couple more depending on both the mice themselves and how the space is used.
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    Yes, I agree. Sorry I missed adding that. If the Simla is well made and enriched inside, then up to six mice sounds fine. x
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    I think it's worth pointing out, bin cages are great, but one of my hamsters almost overheated in her bin cage yesterday. So always mesh as much of it as possible. I had the lid half off and it still got too hot for her.

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Kawaii - where do you live? It is warming up where I am in the west country in England, but I'd hope not so warm to adversely affect hams/mice etc.  Just checking. Temp 18-21C OK for small furries?
    Mum to Bosley the rat and Teddy the hamster.
    Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills and Charlie the gentle-man Rat.
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Oxfordshire. High yesterday here was abouf 21celsius.....but in her cage it was hotter than that. Not saying don't use a bin cage. It's just something to be aware of. :-)

(chins for the win!)

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    And yes but I wouldn't go any hotter than 22 or 23.

(chins for the win!)

Ah OK, not that hot here yet. Thanks for info on temps.
    Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills and Charlie the gentle-man Rat.
    But today it got hot. Thermostat 23C in the house.  Moved girls to basement during the day where is cooler.  As per Crittery website placed ceramic plant pot in environment during home changeover this evening.  Will they go in it; do they recognise it's hot and go somewhere cooler?  Any other tips that I can use for mice?
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    If they get uncomfortably hot, they'll try and find a cooler spot and go to the plant pot. If they just stay in their usual nesting spot, it probably means they're feeling fine. Try not to worry - they're not silly, if there's a cooler spot available and they need it, they'll find it.

Just make sure they've got plenty of water available and keep them in the shade. Sounds like you've done everything you need to do really. I'm sure your meecers will be fine :)
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
    Thanks ML. I have seen them active today (I have an Internet camera on them :) ), so looking OK ATM. Is cooler though, all possible windows are open.
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    You can put flower pots/ceramic tiles in the fridge or wrap a freezer pack in a towel and put in the cage.

(chins for the win!)