Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Supreme `Cosi n Dri` substrate

I use wood shavings normally and have done for a few years now for previous hamsters and now my Russian Dwarf hybrid hamster and having tried Carefresh when I kept my mice, I hated the stuff mainly because of the fine cadis dust it holds. I wouldn`t personally use Carefresh with mice because of this. But recently,I read a few revues on Hamster Central about the differences between Carefresh, Tumblefresh and Cosi n Dri, all made my Supreme. It seems this company make quite a few paper and wood based beddings and some are better quality than others.

So, thinking about the autumn/winter approaching, I wanted to try adding something to Chubs cage that would be soft and cosy for him, especially in his nesting box, so got in touch with my local pet shop supplier yesterday to ask if they could get this product for me. Steve managed to get it today! Although the shop is closed until Thursday next week so I can`t pick it up until Friday, but can`t wait to unpack it and mulch it all into a spare bin! I`m sure Chubs will love it. I watched a YouTube tutorial revue on this product and it looks really good. I will update once I have my bag and have opened it, mulched it and had a good feel and sniff at it! t costs around £8.00 for the 8 litre bag and comes in a larger size, but expands, so might be something mice would enjoy on it`s own, or mixed with cardboard beddings. However I would hold off until I report back. Will let you all know what I think. Will add an image of the bag so you can see what it looks like.

Cosi n Dri.JPG
449 x 590 - 41K

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Will do Ann. Just a shame the shop is closed for four days but will have it on Friday. Will let you all know what I think and I`m quite fussy so it will have to past the racingmouse smell and dust testing! x

It`s here! Just opened the pack and broke up the block into one of my storage bins. Taking into account I will be using Cosi n Dri for a dwarf hamster, this revue will take into account my own view of whether it`s a good substrate for mice also.

It has little/no smell, just smells like paper pulp really so no issues there. As I was breaking up the block, I watched to see if any dust flew up from the fibres and I have to say, I was happy with what I saw. I would say any fine residue is nothing compared to wood shavings or Supreme`s other product, Carefresh. So again, very happy with any dust extraction they carry out, although it doesn`t state any on the packaging. But it does state, "Hypo-Allergenic and virtually dust free" and I tend to agree with that statement.

Not being a small rodent myself with tiny nostrils! I find holding a handful to my nose and breathing in the fibres quite pleasant. I can smell a nice, deep, paper smell like fresh cut cardboard? Nothing unpleasant at all. No sneezing or irritations at all when I had a deep smell of the stuff.

The 8 Litre bag (the smallest bag) cost me £6.90p ordering from my local pet shop supplier in the local high street. I will order that larger bag next time as I wanted to try it first. I would say look in Pets At Home if this is your nearest store and convenient, but you may be able to get it cheaper online or better still, from a smaller independent high street pet shop. They often order items in for customers, so do ask.

So, I gave Chubs my Russian dwarf hamster a handful at the door of his sleeping box. Needless to say, he`s dragged the lot inside! So it seems it`s a hit with Chubs! I have half a boxful of wood shavings left that I aired and sieved outside a week ago, but once those are used up and the fact that Chubs is now 16 months of age, I can see me switching to Supreme Cosi n Dri bedding now as it seems to be a very good product for him in his dotage!

Hope this has been helpful and a pointer to anyone looking for a nice alternative for their meecers. It makes a lovely cosy nest and could also be mixed with Aubiose/hemp or card-type beddings. x

Don`t know if this will be readable but will post it anyway. Someone reviewing Cosi n Dri on the Pet Planet website for their mice said this: Used Cosi n Dri for their mice as it`s softer and good at controlling odours and most importantly, hasn`t caused any respiratory problems!

Quote from revue on Pet Planet.JPG
    533 x 99 - 20K