Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Blood in cage !!

Can't believe it this morning found blood on the sides of the zoozone so checked all the mice and Lilly has what looks like bites on her tail. Lily came to us because in her other home the older mice were biting her tail. I have never seen them fight or bully here so could it be them? Or could she be doing it to herself? What could be going on and how do I clean her tail, salt water?

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

Difficult to say whether it's the others or whether she's been chewing her own tail. If she is chewing her own tail you might only cause her to do it more by bathing it with salt water. I think I'd be tempted to watch their behaviour first before deciding what treatment is best.

Have you treated any of them for mites recently? If you haven't done so yet, it's probably worth doing all the mice and rats so you can rule that out as a possible cause.

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Thanks AnnB no we have not treated them. What do I use please and where do I get it from?
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse

Hang fire. Wait and determine the reason for her tail bleeding Nicky. She may have opened old wounds by chewing at her tail, or the other mice may have been biting her tail. Are the mice in the same room as you? It helps to keep them near when intos have been done because they can look fine for hours but if you are not in the same room as the cage, all hell can break loose.

The best mite treatment on the market is Xeno50 mini. It`s sold on Amazon but your vet could possibly sell you some pipettes cheaper as the box sold online usually has too many. Although knowing the vet they will want to see the mice beforehand. An extra expense you don`t need unless of course Lilly`s tail needs looking at for any treatment. But saline is good. Does she have deep wounds or are the smaller, superficial cuts? x

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

As Racingmouse says, Xeno 50-mini is probably the best spot-on mite treatment you can get. It's available without prescription online at Amazon (where you'd have to buy a box of 9 (I think) pipettes) or often available in single pipettes at the vet. There's no reason why the vet should demand to see you as it's not "prescription only" medication. Each pipette contains about 12 drops and depending on the weight of the mouse you'd need 2 or 3 drops per mouse. There are more dosage details on the box.

I have also discovered a rather strange cure for scratching, I bought some of those Hay Cookies for my mice about 6-8 months ago and since then I haven't treated a single mouse for mites with the Xeno. I don't know whether the mice just concentrate on chewing the hay rather than themselves or whether they were lacking something in their diet previously but for a few pounds the Hay Cookies or those Hay Tunnels are worth a try.

Of course if you find out the other mice are responsible for Lily's wounds then it would make sense to bathe the wounds with salt water.

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Thanks both x yes the mice are in a room we are in a lot and no we haven't noticed any battles. Looking at the blood I thought the wounds would be massive but they are tiny. I will put a hay cookie in today. I keep them in for the guineas. Will keep a close eye on them all.

I forgot the pipettes are not prescription only! So yes, a vet should be able to sell you a few if you tell them you only have a few mice and don`t want to go to the expense of buying a large box online that may not be used. Although some vets use Ivermectin from a large bottle so it depends if they stock the pipettes.

The grass/hay things sound good, what do they look like Ann? Not too sure which ones you mean? x

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    They're basically compacted blocks of hay, in a tube shape. They're quite large, about as big as a mouse.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Mine went crazy about them AnnB.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Great, I hope it keep their little minds off scratching or fighting.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    AnnB said:

Great, I hope it keep their little minds off scratching or fighting.

So do I AnnB :D
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    More blood in cage this morning and poor Lilly has back and tail wounds. I am almost certain its Beatrix who is doing it as Hocus and Hermione were in my sight when I went to the cage this morning and I herd a fight and Lily yelling.Should I split into two groups? I'm so worriedworried. Its strange but when we took lilly it was Beatrix's mum who was attacking her in her other home.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Sorry about the double worried not sure what happend there.

Such a shame this has happened after things were going well Nicky. For Lilly`s sake, I would remove her. If you have four females and have identified one that isn`t picking on her, she could live with that mouse and having the other two live together who get along. Or just remove Lilly and bathe her wounds and keep her on her own. It`s not ideal, but I had to do this with Maisy for a while until she could be paired up with my bigger female Betsy. Keeping their barred cages a few inches apart for a while means Lilly can still see and smell the other mice, but if you use tank-style cages, it won`t matter. What does matter is they are attacking Lilly and this can only be stressing her which can make her ill.

What do you feel would work best? This is the downside of taking in more mice when you have a settled group. It doesn`t always work. x

• NickyNicky Mouse
    God it's horrible I feel sick with upset. I just couldn't bare Lilly to be on her own so I may pair her up with Hocus. I feel so guilty about all this my lack of experience is to blame

Not at all. Lilly will be fine. If you think Hocus is the best match for Lilly then go for it. Two pairs is better than a trio and a single. If it`s all you can do Nicky, it`s all you can do. It`s great that you took Lilly in for being bullied and sadly, the same thing has transferred in her new home with you, but perhaps the mice are picking up on something about her that we can`t read? A weakness perhaps or just the numbers in the cage....who knows.

Is Hocus okay with Lilly?

Its not your fault. Mice do sometimes decide to fight a cagemate and you can't always prevent it. If Hocus gets along well with Lilly then separating them to be two pairs sounds like a really good idea to me :)

We have recently reintroduced some mice who had been fighting and its working out well. We realised why they were fighting and solved the issues, now as long as we're careful we can trust them to be good with each other. We still watch them closely but its been a few weeks and its all good at the moment. It shows mice can be reintroduced after fighting if you're sure you can avoid the same issues in future but if two pairs'd be less stressful for you then that should work nicely too :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you both so much.Racing mouse I have never seen Hocus have a problem with any of the others so I think she will be better with Lilly.And I myself have thought maybe they are picking up on something from Lilly. Fingers crossed all goes well with the split.
    Kyrilliondaemon I didn't realise you could reintroduce them once split. Maybe a little hope for the future?
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I must admit I did wonder whether there was a reason the other mice were picking on Lilly. That's nature for you, sometimes the weaker ones are bullied.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    AnnB said:

I must admit I did wonder whether there was a reason the other mice were picking on Lilly. That's nature for you, sometimes the weaker ones are bullied.

yes I agree AnnB it does seem strange that two lots of mice have picked on her. Well I have split them when I went to get them Hocus and Lily were curled up together and Beatrix and Hermione were together at the other side of the cage so hopefully that's a good sign they will be OK together.
    It`s as if they were telling you just by their body language Nicky by sleeping with the ones they prefer to be with! Job made easier! How are they all now in their pairings? No doubt they will be a bit strange to begin with wondering where the others are, but if no arguing or bullying persists, it will be worth it. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Only seen Hocus out and about since I split them she was having a little run on her wheel, Lilly hid in a tube and Beatrix and Hermione didn't even wake up THE HARTLESS IMPS lol. I will be keeping a close eye on everyone. X
    My feeling is that Lilly could be causing the arguments not by being aggressive herself, but something else the mice are picking up on that we can`t see and if she`s inclined to hide a lot, she may be instagating the others to see her as a weak link. But lets hope She and Hocus get along now. Keep us updated. x
    I'm glad it seems to be ok so far after the split. Reintroduction can definetly be possible but it'd depend a bit on why Lilly keeps being picked on. In the case of the mice here the fights were over two specific things so it was more easy to reintroduce and resolve than it'd be when its more difficult to see why the mice're picking on the one mouse.
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you both. I'm hoping she settles down with Hocus. I will certainly update because if the split goes wrong I will go into hysteria lol
    How are they today Nicky? Don`t want to tempt fate by asking! x
  • NickyNicky Mouse

How are they today Nicky? Don`t want to tempt fate by asking! x

Lol fingers crossed all seem OK at the moment so I hope it continues. Just on a look out for a cage thats a little bigger then the one Hocus and Lilly have gone into as its just been used as a temp cage before.
    I`m sure they will be fine in there until they have `bonded` and will play in a wheel, egg box and whatever else they have in there. The Ferplast Kios cage is a nice size although access is naff with only one door on the top, but it`s always better to take the entire lid off anyway for better access to the mice and for spot cleaning! Keep a lookout for second hand as they do come up sometimes and this cage has the 7mm narrow bars, which is a bonus. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Oh thanks racingmouse I will x
    I forgot too that the Kios cage has those two holes in the wire part with the plastic blockers in place, so a smaller cage can be added on top via a ferplast tube. Kind of like a little penthouse for mice!!! x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you will keep an eye out.