Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Wheel/ball accessory?

Don`t know if anyone has/uses one of these, but they seem cheap enough on Amazon for the micelings to play in?!! The ball has three `gaps` in the sides where the mice can go in and out. Someone on Hamster Central posted about one and because I hate hamster balls with a passion, this seems to be on a stand, so the small animal, be it a hamster or mice, can go in and out as they please. Thought I would post an image just to let you all see one. I would think where the ball attaches to the stand though may be a little flimsy, so maybe metal nuts can be screwed on to secure the ball and stop it from detaching from the stand? `ve never had one so can`t really say if they are good or not.

Ball wheel.JPG
947 x 376 - 55K

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Sorry the image isn`t all that clear, I`m not sure how to enlarge it! Thy are sold on Amazon and possibly other websites for around £5.50p. x
  • CritteryCrittery Overlord
    you can click to see it a bit better :)

I've wondered about these as well, I think the main points against exercise wheels are the enforced nature of it - plus the unfamilar environment - so this could be an interesting test! Anyone used one?
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
    The only area I would want to nit-pick if you like, could be the slits in the ball made for ventilation purposes. I`m not sure how wide these are or whether using aquarium silicone to block them off would be a good idea. I can ask the person on Hamster central about that and post back. I`m not too sure if the slits are even on the running surface or to the sides, but I will find out. x  
    Actually, the slits on this ball do seem to be on the sides and not the actual running area looking at a close up of it, so they should be fine. The member on Hamster Central did point out though that where the ball attaches to the stand on the sides, they use small metal nuts to secure it as it can tend to fall off! I suppose it`s one of those little plastic toys that you can make better just by tinkering with anything that needs tinkering with! Not sure I would bother with one for a dwarf hamster if I already had a decent wheel, but mice may like it as an extra play toy. x
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    It would take up more room in a cage than a wheel too but perhaps it would stop small furries flying off when they end up going too fast.
     I can visualise a mouse washing machine in my head!!!! One mouse running while the other tumbles over! x
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

I can just picture it now!

Do you remember that fairground ride, the cage that pinned you to the sides as it spun round? When it was raining they called it the "Spindryer".

Yes! Although I wasn`t a fairground person myself but I was a dodgems fan! Or hook the duck to win a measly packet of sweets! Not that I ever won anything....

I suppose this sphere is like most other things, buy it and try it and if it turns out to be a hit with the mice, all well and good. But then again it might be a flimsy piece of plastic that needs work on it before I would be happy for them to use it. I even superglue my silent spinner wheels to make sure there are no minute cracks on the running surface! x

The Hamster Central member posted an image of the wheel from the side so we can see it close up. I imagine one of these would be great for baby/young mice to go crazy in, but older mice I don`t think would bother much. Looks fun though all the same and at the price, could be a nice play item for a group of younger meeces!

play ball side image.JPG
    563 x 473 - 46K