Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Shredded tbag paper

Has anyone used this as substrate ? I have been recommended it for the rats so thought when it comes I would try the mice with it as well.

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    I`m sure I used something similar Nicky ages ago but can`t remember the brand name. It was a small bag of paper that were kind of triangular shapes and expended well once out of the small packaging. I imagine is similar and the rats/mice will like it. Paper based products do them no harm, unlike wood shavings or anything that`s dusty or smells strong. I always advise airing things out in an open topped box prior to use. Anything that comes in a sealed bag for example usually has some kind of aroma.  x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thanks racing mouse. Will give it an airing.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Well it came. 20kg bag it's massive lol. Done the rats with it tonight and will be doing mice over the weekend. It's lovely and soft and it will last ages so really hope it does a good job.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I hope it turns out to be as good as it sounds.
    Any images of it Nicky? Just curios to see the bag or the product really. I remember buying what resembled t.bag type paper bedding but it was only a small bag. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Will try and put a photo on of it x
    Thanks for that Nicky, it looks nice. :) Looks a little bit like Fitch bedding? Possibly lighter in texture. The good thing about large bales is they last longer and are better value. It`s great that there are safer alternative beddings now for small animals, particularly mice and rats who tend to have more issues with dusty substrates. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    They do other interesting bedding as well. I usely use shredded newspaper but to be honest I forgot how pongy rats can be so I'm hoping this helps. And I'm sure the mice will love building their nests with it :D
    Come back and let us know what they think? Fitch is around £16.99p with free delivery I think for a 20kg bale, so keep it in mind for the future. The Fitch site seems low on, or out of stock at the moment apart from the 10kg bags, so it`s better to wait and get 20kg bag if you ever fancy using it. It`s very popular with hamster owners. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Is it !! Flipping heck I never realised it was that cheap! And to think I've spent the last few months shedding newspapers, which I hate doing and have got through two shedders!!! Lol
    edited August 2015 Posts: 1,228

Excuse my ignorance Nicky, it`s £20.99p The image is small so hope you can see it?

fitch.JPG
    135 x 380 - 20K
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thanks racngmouse that's still a good price. Will keep that on mind.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Well so far this is going down a treat with mice and ratties both seem to love it. Please remember they were both on shedded newspaper before so I never tried other substrates but for me its great. But I will be trying Fitch next.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I'm glad it's going down well. I like the look of Fitch too but would find it really frustrating if it was out of stock when I needed it (as seems to be the case sometimes).
    I`ve only had a sample of Fitch from someone a while back and liked it but never ordered the larger bag. It`s a shame it recently went out of stock as many hamster members were in need of it. Your tea bag bedding sounds nice though Nicky! x
    I'm glad they like the shredded tea bag bedding. What does it feel like?

I'm considering trying it now. Kinda feel fitch has done me a favour going out of stock for so long as its convinced me to look elsewhere. I'd been going off it for a while (especially when they added a surcharge for getting 8 bales to my area when they never used to have a surcharge for it) so I'm fairly happy to have an excuse to look for alternatives :)
    Saw some shredded egg box bedding on ebay a few days ago so might try that too
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    It feels like tissue paper Kyrilliondaemon. It does have slight traces of tea in it so be warned if your not happy about that.The company I got this from does shredded eggbox as well, so may try that at some point as well.oh and its not easy to get out of the packet, in fact it's a bit of a nightmare lol
    Thanks, thats really helpful :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)