Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Homemade mix

I feed the rats on a homemade mix that was recommended to me what do you think of it for the mice? In order of amount.
Fruity rabbit mix.
Rolled oats.
Rolled barley.
Porridge oats
Dried mealworms.
They are on Reggie RAT at the moment and I would like to get them off that.

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse

It`s been a while since I had ratties but I followed the Shunamite diet principle too. I remember using a rabbit mix as a base but can`t remember which one. It`s a broad range really. I would be more inclined to use a rat mix as a base than a rabbit mix, although I do remember some rabbit foods being listed on the Shunamite website. Burgess used to do Suparat but I think they just do a pelleted one now called Royale? I`d need to check the Burgess website!

Rats like dried pasta too but it makes a hell of a noise!!! x

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Thanks racngmouse. I will try some dried pasta as well. X
    We use a shunamite style diet for our mice. Works really well. The only thing to bear in mind is that mice need a slightly lower amount of protein in the diet than rats.
    We use a rabbit food as a base and our mice've done fine on the diet, have been using variants of it for quite a while now :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you Kyrilliondaemon. What sort of thing do you add for the mice?
    Dry mealworms are a high protein content alone Nicky for both. Depends how many you feed. Try finding out how much protein dry mealworms are and base your amounts on that? Mixing food together is a bit of a science really and it probably won`t ever be completely balanced, but if you have all the good elements in there with variety, you can`t go far wrong. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you racngmouse i will do that. Homemade mixs are a bit baffling arnt they ?
    Most people mix in the same sort of things for mice as they would for rats. I'm always worried with diets as I know how dangerous an unbalanced diet can be so I use a spreadsheet that works things out for me. I follow the principles used for rats and just aim for a little less protein than would be used for rats. Then I use my spreadsheet to find out what the overall protein/fat/fibre percentages work out as :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you. I have ordered a copy of the scuttling gourmet so I'm hoping this helps me understand more about their diet.
    It helped me understand a lot :) Took me two read throughs before it all started to come together and I felt confident enough to make our own diet but it works really well now and the more we use and adjust our mix the better I understand things and the more confident I get with it :)
  • NickyNicky Mouse

It helped me understand a lot :) Took me two read throughs before it all started to come together and I felt confident enough to make our own diet but it works really well now and the more we use and adjust our mix the better I understand things and the more confident I get with it :)

Thats what I'm hoping for. Bet it will take me more then two reads to understand it though lol
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 529
    lol I didn't understand all of it after two reads, just enough to feel reasonably ok making a mix based on what it said. I had about three A4 pages of notes to use at first too, just tried to summarise everything important on my second read through and then referred back to my notes instead of the entire book while I was working through making the mix.
    You do sort of get there in the end, its a good few months (maybe a year?) later and I get most of it fairly well now :D
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thats a good idea making key notes. Thank you I will do that.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    The books come it looks really good but daunting :-O
    I know the feeling. It'll get easier to understand if you take your time reading through a few times though :)

Good luck with it!
  • NickyNicky Mouse

I know the feeling. It'll get easier to understand if you take your time reading through a few times though :)

Good luck with it!

Thank you I will.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Just thought I would put a little update. The mice have been on this mix for a few weeks now and they seem to be really enjoying it and they all look in tip top condition as well with bright eyes and shiney coats, Even Hocus who was looking a bit rough before looks like a new mouse.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    That's great news Nicky.
  • superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    Just catching up on stuff - the Scuttling Gourmet is a great book, although I agree it's a lot to take in.  I love some of the quotes they have at the beginnings of the chapters - my favourite being "Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat." :P

I'm glad the mice are doing so well on their new diet Nicky - I use a mix recommended to me by Tracey at Primrose Rescue, which goes down very well, but for variety and just for peace of mind I use a good commercial mix (usually JR Farm stuff from Zooplus), which seems very nutritionally balanced.  That way I know they're definitely getting all the nutrients they need, as well as having a bit of a change every once in a while. :)

I'd love to see how Hocus and friends are doing - have you posted any pictures recently?
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Yes I have looked at JR farm stuff and planning on getting some. Keep trying to take photos of the mice but the little blighters won't keep still lol but won't give up trying. I also love the quotes in the book and the drawings.

• superwolfsuperwolf Mouse
    Can you do videos instead, Nicky?  I find them much easier to do with my mice than photos (I'm a terrible photographer at the best of times, so getting pics of uncooperative mice has never been my strong point! :P ).
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Ooohh never thought of videos. Will have a try. :D
    Really pleased you got your mix just right Nicky. Little additions or changes every now and then can also perk a mix up, so experimentation is the way to go. x