Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Dry crusty tail!

One of my little girls has a very very dry and scaly tail, compared to the others it's very noticeable. She was the runt of the litter and has always been a lot smaller than the others, at least half the size. 

What is this?!

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    edited August 2015 Posts: 936

I had a mouse with a similar tail problem. I think the vet mentioned dermatitis (I'll try and find the original thread) but my poor mouse ended up losing the end of his tail. The vet suggested I moisturise the tail and that seemed to work quite well.

Edit: I found the original thread but it looks like my post on the vet's visit is no longer there.

http://rodentsnest.com/discussion/1914/a-sad-tale-of-a-poorly-tail/p1

• BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse
    Thanks Ann, do you have the picture so I can compare? I can take a picture of my ones tail if you can't. Dermatitis sounds about right...i thought when I felt and looked at it that it seemed like she had eczema. It's a bit flaky and also...very hairy? It's not smooth anymore, it's furry. 

Any non scented moisturiser be ok? I have a Vaseline coco butter one as well as simple baby lotion? 
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Hi Baggy. You could try cheap Vitamin E capsules from the local chemist? Pierce one and use the oil from the capsule? Vitamin E is good for the skin, as is olive oil. Neither should cause any issues if she washes her tail. I would apply it using a cotton pad or ball gently. Baby products like baby oil might be licked off, so I would choose oils that will help moisturise, but won`t cause harm if ingested. x
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

I just used a baby lotion.

Here's a pic.

Tail resize.jpg
    600 x 234 - 148K