Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Butch Is poorly, help

My mouse Butch seems ill, he seems stiff, how he's walkin, yes he's a old mouse but he was totally fine n now past couple days he's walkin stiff going off his food, he's only eatin the really tasty stuff, wots wrong with him!???? Is he gonna die :(

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I guess what seems to us like just a couple of days, is actually quite a long time in the life of a mouse. It does sound like he's just ageing but if you're worried it could be something more, you could make an appointment with your vet.
  • supamouse87supamouse87 Mouse
    I might do yes cuz there's no reason he should stop Eating, my other mice ate right upto the end
  • CritteryCrittery Overlord
    Let us know how it goes. The weather has been a bit odd recently where I am and older animals can sometimes be affected by rapid changes like that. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about.
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
    Hope he doesn't die :(
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse

Sorry to hear this supamouse. Is he making any noises when he breathes? Or has he suddenly just went slow and not as he was a day or so ago? Poor wee lad, you`ve only had him a short time. I often wonder if older mice in private rescues should really be rehomed if it means sudden change. I don`t mean that in a negative way, just thinking about perhaps that older mice may not cope well with being so long in a rescue and then routine changes are made.

If he`s well enough to cope with travelling to your vet then that may be helpful, but you will probably end up with Baytril and either have to administer it orally, in soft food like a small amount of peanut butter or softened science selective biscuits. There is a mouse version of this food.

How is he generally? x

He was a permanent resident at the rescue but I wanted him, he's been totally fine for 4weeks now all of a sudden seems be walkin slower and stiff, and gone off his food apart from really tasty stuff.... He had a biscuit last night.... The other week I got him out n he made a squeak which I thought was unusual but then someone said they do squeak, he had made a little sound, it was like a sniffing noise? Or like... Can't explain yeah like he's sniffing something or like teeth goin together, and he's been vibrating on my hand which he never does... He seems perky tho n doesn't look depressed or ill apart from walkin slow, that sound was very quiet and it was only once or twice n heard it today but it's like a nose twitching or like Syrian hamsters sniff

He could just be starting to feel his age supamouse. What is he currently fed on and does he enjoy it? I`ll comment more on that once you say what he`s eating.

What is his cage and layout and is he managing to move around is cage okay? I would certainly make things easy for him now and keep everything at his level, low down and easy reach. Water spout, low sided food dish (not a narrow one he can`t sit inside) and soft bed. It`s good if he`s not making any constant breathing noises or sneezing. x

He's fed on wagg mouse food, thinks it's for hamsters, gerbils n mice, he's never been a massive eater, always preferred his treats, he's in his ferplast duna multy, with a wooden house, he likes to inside, he has a bendy bridge to get to his water bottle n he has toys lots, n soft hanging bed he goes in n plastic house he likes

Okay, WAGG food is a food they will survive on but it`s not great to be honest. What was he fed on at the rescue, do you know? Was his diet changed when you adopted him? I don`t always believe mice need mouse food or rat food. At Butch`s age, I suspect it might be better to feed him a varied variety of things even if it means feeding a hamster food that is low in protein and combining this with other food stuff. Would be interested to hear other members views on this but I will off the top of my head go with what I might use if Butch were mine.

Supreme Science mouse food (this is a complete food shaped into a biscuit)

Supahamster Dwarf hamster food (this has various millet seeds which mice enjoy as well as alfalfa pieces, but most of these can be picked out if he doesn`t like them. Most rodents don`t!)

Perhaps still use the WAGG mix but break up some of the biscuits and any large pieces within it using a pestle & mortar or a rolling pin and a freezer bag. Older animals appreciate smaller mouthfuls.

Mice don`t always like fresh veg but a small amount a few times a week is good for them and is full of vitamins. Frozen veg can be used and thawed in cold water. Garden pea, broccoli, carrot, water cress, green bean and most of the safe veggies, but in very small pieces. 

His immune system may also be lacking so anything elderly rats enjoy can be fed to mice, so google `Shunamite diet for rats` and have a look at many of the things within this as it may help.

I`m feeling a bit run down today having been out this morning so my little brain isn`t thinking clearly so apologies if my list is lacking. Will come back to it again later on. x

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

From the little noises you were describing, it's possible he has a slight respiratory infection. He's reached a grand age and as with elderly people, elderly mice can often become quite frail and succumb to infections too. Some Baytril from the vet might help and I'd be tempted to give him all the treats he will take. Have you tried him on Rich Tea biscuits? My elderly mice have always loved them, it's not something I would give to younger mice except as an occasional treat but all of that balanced diet stuff goes out the window when they're getting old and I give my mice whatever they seem to enjoy.

Hi, he had a malted milk biscuit he loved that and some pasta and abit of my crumpet today, he was fed on something different at the rescue, I didn't realise wagg was no good, my mouse Casper enjoyed it n he lived till 2yrs 4mnths n he had it all his life so I assumed it was good.... He also has other things in his diet, he has meal worms, mouse treats, some look like a dog biscuit n he has some nuts which he loves n malt paste As a treat, I think I'm gonna take him vets tomorrow
    Anyway I'm gonna buy some different food now cuz I'm havin 2 new baby mice from the rescue
    Is this food ok
    Screenshot_2015-08-25-17-42-26.png
    720 x 1280 - 198K

Ann, your absolutely right about ethics going out the window when they are old or ill. supamouse, your doing fine. Don`t take my work that WAGG is not a `good` food. I used it once myself for a Syrian hamster I had and he did eat it. But I would still break up the larger pieces for him as mice are smaller than Syrian hamsters!

I can`t see the image well but if that`s a Beaphar food, I`m sure it will be bright coloured biscuits and not much else. If you can buy food online, there are many available, like the few I mentioned earlier. Google them and see what you think?

Ann hit on something too regarding elderly mice being much like older people who can be more prone to infections. It`s always a good idea to keep mindful of what they are eating, how they are coping generally and add or change things if necessary. x

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Just wanted to say hope Butch gets well soon x
    For what its worth I like the mr johnsons rat and mouse food (I think thats whats in the pic?) and would much prefer that over science selective for my own mice. I hope the vets goes well if you do go
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    Yes the food in the pic sounds good, it's got meal worms in it too, it sounds very good
    Yes in the pic I attached it's Mr.Johnsons supreme rat and mouse food
    Gonna order it. Why didn't I know? Wagg isn't good enough!!! I know that now, it was the only food I could find local to me that said for mice, but I'm gonna order that other off ebay
    Ordered it
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

I'm sure you'll see an improvement in quality with the new food but I wouldn't worry about feeding Butch on Wagg, I used it too when I first had mice. Life is one big learning process and we all adapt and change as we gather more information.

Hope the mice enjoy the new food supamouse, I`m sure they will if it`s labelled for rats and mice. Can`t say I was aware of this food myself but then I only have a dwarf hamster! let us know what it`s like when you get it. How is wee Butch today? x
    Thanks the new food should be here Friday, butch was on his wheel n flying saucer most of the night so I'm hoping he's pickin up, he also had been in his food bowl, as some food was moved, he seems perky so not goin to the vets today, I'll be keeping a close eye on him though
    Pleased to hear that. I`m sure the new diet will be good for him too and give him some new smells and tastes to enjoy. I wanted to mention the Supreme science selective mouse food you may already know about, or maybe not. It`s a biscuit shaped food for mice. They do one for rats and hamsters as well. The reason I mention it is that it`s a complete food, so if they don`t particularly like certain pieces of another food, like for example the extruded biscuits or grass pellets, adding a few science selective biscuits could make up the difference. I have a bag of the hamster one and my Russian dwarf loves them. What I also like about science selective is that the biscuits can be used softened in water for old or ill mice and be mashed up with crushed nuts or other foods as a tasty food to give Baytril on, even with a little peanut butter added. For the cost of a bag, I feel it`s worth having in the house. I will post an image but if you google `supreme science selective mouse` more information will come up. :)
    selective mouse.JPG
    626 x 363 - 45K
    Thanks, shall I add some of this to the food? Is this a food they enjoy?
    I can`t say if they enjoy it but my hamster eats the hamster version! If you bought a bag and also used the Mr Johnsons mouse & rat food, the science selective would just be an addition to that. So feed the Mr J mix and just add a couple of the science selective biscuits in and see if they get eaten? As I explained above, these are tasty little biscuits that are a complete food, so they are very handy for not just adding to the diet, but using as a `soft` food or using to add Baytril to if you ever need medication masked in food. The hamster biscuits smell a bit like gravy bones sold for dogs, so they do smell nice. x
    Ours definetly don't mind science selective but I'm not sure its a favourite either. I personally completely avoid all science selective pellets for all my pets now though. A few bad experiences with foods mean that I just don't trust many/any foods to be absolutely perfect so I kinda prefer ones with a mix of bits so that if there is something missing from one bite they'll be more likely to get it in another.
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    One of my mice used to love the Science Selective food but most of my mice haven't been all that impressed and would only eat it if I broke it up into little bits.
    Ok thanks guys for ur advice, much appreciated
    It usually does benefit from being broken into smaller bite-sized pieces, I have to do the same with the hamster version. I feel it`s a nice addition especially when you have a few mice to feed and for the reasons I gave regarding ill or old mice requiring soft food or a biscuit type food that can be crushed and mixed with other things. x