Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Any advice on keeping 2 males together?

I'm the owner of sweet little Butch from primrose mouse rescue.
Im adopting a hairless baby that was born at the rescue, also takin one of his furry brothers, there's 2 baby's left now.... They are gonna be in the ferplast duna multy till any squabbling happens, I had 3 males from same litter before n all had to be parted due to squabbling, I know it's unlikely for males to get on but is there anything I can do to help minimise fighting?
I'm havin the one at the front in the pic and the hairless one
received_1599475863650641.jpeg
960 x 574 - 77K

Comments

• supamouse87supamouse87 Mouse
    They are not going in with butch lol,he lives on his own in his bachelor pad :)
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    edited August 2015 Posts: 1,200

A pair of brothers will live together for a time before their hormones kick in usually but I did have two black & tan brothers who adored one another but sadly, they both took acutely ill and died one after the other. :(  They were very sweet lads too.

All I can suggest supamouse is what I would do. When you get them from the rescue, keep the substrate or bedding they are kept on, transfer this into the carrier with them and put everything into the Multi cage which should be all set up for them to move into. Don`t have any shelves in the cage as a shelf can cause them to squabble. It`s the same with dwarf hamsters kept in pairs.

Once in, NEVER do whole cage cleans. I know that sounds mad with smelly male mice, but there is good reason behind it. Half cage cleans, spot cleans and wipe downs mean their scent will always remain inside their habitat, their `domain`. The danger of making too many changes with males can unsettle their dynamics, so always do as little as possible but at the same time, use just wetted kitchen towel to wipe the cage sides down and any accessories, only clean one at a time. Their scent means a lot to them. Obviously as the months go on and the lads are getting along well, you could perhaps do a little more, but at the beginning, it makes sense to leave things alone and let the brothers settle in, pee their scent around and let them decide who is dominant/subordinate. They should be fine together at least for a while if rules are kept.

I love male mice. I had my fair share of them and then due to the separations and the time spent with them individually, I moved on to keeping female mice only. It came as a bit of a relief in many ways as the girls were not so `hands on` in terms of playtimes or attention seeking because they had each other for that.

Hairless mice are known to have some health problems so do bare that in mind. I had a hairless female called Ruby and she was a shy little thing but sweet. She darted around more then the other mice! But she also started having epileptic fits. Hairless mice don`t have the same heat retention as their coated siblings, so make sure they have plenty of nesting. x

Thank you very much for all ur advice, I'll do all that, I won't do the whole cage cleans n I'll clean one toy at once n not all of them... And I'll tell the lady from the rescue to bring their substrate from their cage when I go to collect them :) fingers crossed they will be ok for a bit
    That`s all you really need to remember supamouse, I`m sure they will be fine. Escalations of males falling out are usually noticeable like chasing, stand offs, tail rattling at each other or actual ball fights. When this happens, it`s time to separate them. When are the boys arriving? x
    This is Bailey baldy
    received_1596815073916720.jpeg
    574 x 960 - 127K
    Bailey baldy again
    received_1596815100583384.jpeg
    960 x 574 - 98K
    Benny
    received_1597058543892373.jpeg
    2048 x 1529 - 388K
    I'm travelling to Derby next Saturday the 5th to meet the lady from primrose mouse rescue, she's bringing them half way, I'm really excited
    They are lovely, Bailey looks very much like my Ruby did with soft `fuzz` and red eyes. x
    Could you use a cage smaller than the duna multy for them? I only ask because the times I've seen male mice stay together longer it seems to have been in smaller cages. Clearly doesn't do the mice any harm but might encourage them to stay friends with each other :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    Unfortunately no, I bought this cage from eBay last week, paid £44 so im stuck with it.. There's 2 other boys, their brothers, wots ur thoughts on takin the 4? I can't leave them behind.
    Fair enough, I understand that.

Er... The only times I've tried keeping unneutered males together it didn't work out, but if you're prepared for all four falling out then it could be worth a go :) When we got males we got them together so let them stay together, didn't last long but it was nice while it did. I know Alison (on this forum) had a lot more success than I did with keeping males together
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    How long do u think they may be ok for
    It depends entirely on them. Alison's group of males were ok for most (all?) of their lives and she had more success with a pair than I did too.

Our pair lasted a month or two I think but they fell out when they started to grow up more, our four did the same. The five only lasted a week or two before we had to split them to a pair and trio, then it wasn't too long before all five were single but they had been through loads of stress in the recent past (including us separating them from the group of females they arrived with) so its not surprising that they ended up falling out.
    Ok thank you I'll be ordering more cages ready

It`s so tempting to take on four brothers. I started out keeping mice with four baby brothers. Two ended up living together in a Pennine Rat starter cage and the other two (Chalky and Oddy) hated one another! So they were split. I agree with kyrill about the cage size though for a pair. It`s not easy to say how they will get on in a larger tank but obviously, you want them to have space and plenty to do. With males though it`s more a case of tough love sometimes to keep the harmony between them. My four males all started out in a Pennine Rat starter cage. This is a barred cage with a half upper level. This may have caused them to have too much height and an area to claim. So a single floored cage like the Multi should help with that.

What you could do if you really do want the other two brothers, is take all four, keep them in the Multi and then if trouble flares later on, you could always split them up into pairs or singles and use Ferplast Duna tanks or similar set up`s? Your a brave soul though taking on four! But hey, you know what the outcome might be and if your prepared for that, then I don`t see why not. x  

Thanks, yes I can't leave the other 2 as their sisters have someone who wants them all and they are gonna take the momma mouse too so that would leave just 2 male baby's, realistically they will probably be at the rescue months cuz they are not neutered n the lady advised against neutering as their momma wasn't in the best health so they don't wanna risk it.. They have so many male mice needing homes, I just can't leave the other 2, so I'm prepared to separate, I had 3 brothers before n 1 was bullying the other 2 so he was separated n the other 2 lived together for a couple more months till they also fell out lol then I had them in all separate cages, I am considering makin some BIN cages ready for if they fall out... Never made any before but they look good.... Ive named the babies Bailey, Benny, Paddy and Lucky =))

Sounds good supamouse and it would be a shame to leave the other two brothers if you feel you can offer them a good home and company until such a time (if ever) they decide to fall out. Follow the guidelines I posted about spot cleaning and not interfering too much and always keep them together, even for vet visits if necessary.

I`m not totally against neutering, but I would rather take the cowards way out and let the mice decide what they want. It`s fair to say neutering allows a male to have female and sometimes male company, but there are the risks involved too. Given your males genetics, I would be leaving things to fate too. x

Yes I did ask about neutering but the lady said cuz their mum wasn't treated well n the babys were slow developers sed said she thinks it's risky, she said if they grow into healthy adults she would consider it but to be honest I'd be too worried about losing them.. I don't think I'll bother, I don't want any to die during the op... Their dad lives with another male n they are fine together so far, will see wot happens but I'm prepared for fall outs, I just want to give them a good home, I'll make sure I do everything u advised n I've told the lady to bring their old bedding from their cage too xx
    Good for you, I'm glad you will be getting all four :)
    Great supamouse. They will have a wonderful, loving home with you and I like your attitude towards them. Males don`t always get a chance to shine due to their tendencies to fall out, but you have given this some thought and asked the right questions, so don`t be worried. The mice won`t be! You know we are here to advise on anything your worried about. x
    Thank you, I was worried the poor little mice will be at the rescue for months as nobody wants un-neutered boy's... I have plenty of nice toys for them and ordered them a hanging soft furry bed and a hammock also they have a plastic house :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I think it's lovely that you're offering a home to some more boys. I do hope they behave and are able to stay together, otherwise you'll have a lot of cages to clean out!
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Hope all goes well with the new boys x
    I don't mind lol, I've got no kids n no fella so it will keep me busy lol
    No kids and no fella....sensible young lady! Mice won`t judge you, just love you. x :\">
    Lol... Just ordered a new pet carrier for when I collect them as the one I've got is only big enough for 1 mouse
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Sounds like you have everything under control. I bet you can't wait to pick them up.
    I'm really excited n I've always wanted a Hairless mouse so I'm very excited
    When do you get them supamouse? x