Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Any advice on keeping 2 males together?

Comments

• supamouse87supamouse87 Mouse
    On Saturday =))
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Can`t wait! x
    Are u in pet mice and rats group on Facebook? I post on there alot x
    No, I don`t do social media sadly. I think it`s just the way I feel about having myself too `out there` if you know what I mean. I prefer to be on a few forums and content myself with the time I spend on here and Hamster Central....or ebay when I`m looking for a bargain! A childhood friend has tried to get me to join Facebook but I`m not interested. x
    Ah ok that's a shame cuz the groups so good n people post lots of pics of their lovely mice n rats, I'll put some on here when I get the babies, especially the baldy =))
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Yes we'd love to see some photos, I'm not on Facebook either.
    Oki doki, I'll post on here anyway =)) so u can see them, their hanging fluffy bed n pet carrier come today
    They are going to be spoiled, that`s for sure! I always leave groups to settle in by themselves and sit by the cage and let them come to me while I watch what they are up to. Maybe once they have settled in you can intervene more with short handling sessions. x
    Yes that sounds good x
    One day to go! Getting excited yet?
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    Eeeekkkk I'm so excited!!!! Their new bedding come today, it's like jay cloth bedding cuz butch always had wilkos shredded paper bedding n then I run out n wasn't able to get to wilkos so my dad went to our local pet shop n got some similar bedding but like softer n now since then butch won't stop scratching... Don't know if it's a coincidence or its give him mites or a allergy so tomorrow he's having a spot on put on n the new bedding, that might of been why he seemed ill n stopped eating, he's fine now but scratching alot n he's scratched off his fur under his arms on both sides, I thought is he losing weight n I had a good look n it's his fur gone from both sides, he's constantly grooming n scratching, his face, his ears, his. Back n he's 2yrs n 6mnths so it ain't fair on him, my poor baby :(

I would keep Butch on the same bedding/substrate he`s been used to supamouse as sometimes sudden change can cause reactions like this, although with paper based products that shouldn`t happen. He is a good age though and sometimes bodily changes can affect their skin and emotions. Keep stress (if any) to a minimum where you can.

It`s the big day now so can`t wait to hear how the newbies are doing. x

Thing is I ran out n couldnt get to a wilkos n they had none at the one 3miles away from me only had that fluff stuff so whilst I was at work dad went our local pet shop n bought the other one.. Anyway treating him for mites today
    Pickin the babies up at 4pm yayyyy I'll update u later =))
    Just looked at my laptop clock and that`s 4:45pm so I imagine the mices are now in your carrier?!!! x
    Hi, got the babies yayyyy, they had a good journey home, they stayed under the bedding, they were abit shy, they are sooooo tiny!!!! They were born on 21st July, they are so adorable, I love them all.. Bailey, Benny, Paddy and Lucky
    How sweet, they will wonder what`s going on the little people! Have a good evening watching them explore their new cage and settle in. Welcome to Bailey, Benny, Paddy and little Lucky. x
    I saw on facebook, the pics the rescue posted are great :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I'm really looking forward to hearing more about them once they've settled in.
    I'll get some pics, all the pics I took are too big to upload, think one has attached
    received_1601401466791414.jpeg
    2048 x 1365 - 234K
    They r like little fleas, pinging around the cage lol
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Hope they settle in OK. You forger how small baby mice are :\">
    Thanks, they are teeny weenie lol, they seem really happy n confident... Should I handle them straight away or leave it abit?
    They are all soooo cute n really funny, little Bailey actually now has bit of hair so he's not bald, he's a fuzzy, he's got a very very thin layer of fur
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

If they seem happy and confident I think you can start handling them straight away.

They sound absolutely adorable.

Little munchkins! Hairless mice do tend not to be nude. Nude mice have no fuzz or fur at all. Hairless mice are actually born with hair and then they lose it due to a gene they carry.

I agree about small handling sessions but I would keep things short so as not to cause the newbies any unnecessary stress as they settle in. Remember they are young males so they will still be sorting out who is who and what rank they hold. x

Ok thanks, love them all xx
    How are the boys now supamouse? Bet your having fun watching them all clamber around! x
    They are Brill =)) love them, they are so fun to watch n they never stop Eating lol they absolutely love millet spray, the one with hardly any fur is sooooo cute, he has really big ears n has such a sweet look, he's just got abit of bum fluff lol
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Awww, your newbies are lovely supamouse :) Well done on taking all four of the boys on, they are absolutely adorable :)

I hope you manage to keep them together. Keeping males together is hard but it is worth it when it works out. I've had about a dozen male groups over the years and that's not counting the neutered male groups :) I would suggest though not using any hanging toys or beds - I always used to find they would eventually set a fighr off in my boys as they were big enough to treat as a separate territory :( Lots of single ropes to run around on though seem to work fine. And in terms of toys I really recommend having ones with multiple exits - that way if a fight breaks out no one can get cornered. Multiples of toys like wheels also really worked for mine, as did scatter feeding and multiple bottles - I had a few boys who started "claiming" resources like this and when that happened it often led to separation :(

Can we please have some more photos :) I love looking at tiddly meeces :)
    Hi I'll post some pics, I keep takin pics on 15megapixel n it's too large to attach to here, it won't let me , they have a hanging bed, I bought it n it cum all the way from China n they've got a hammock coming too from China, they had a climbing Tower but I took it out as one mouse seemed to like goin to the top n claiming it as his property, it probably seemed like another level u see, they love the hanging bed but the mice like sitting on top of it n it's high up, another mouse also went up there n the mouse that was on it made him go away, so he's being bossy, he tried scratch him, I feel sad to take the hanging bed out as it's cum along way and they love it, they sleep in there, they have other sleeping areas but they like that bed, I've scatter fed n they like that, first night alot of squeaking, I thought perhaps getting used to the cage n deciding who's boss, the caramel n white boss seems to be the dominant one, to be honest Wen he's having a drink n another mouse goes to the bottle he looks at them n they run off!!
    Uve had males so u know.... Ok... Ive been observing things, caramel n white mouse is the boss, a few times he's told the other mice off for goin in his space, also chased them the odd time, now scatter feed n took that tower out, right, a mouse went on top of the hanging bed where he was snoozing, they sniffed eachothers mouths, then the boss mouse, lucky started washing the other mouse, is that OK? Also did it to another mouse, or is that dominance? There's no aggression or bullying, just the odd time he told a mouse off for coming in his space,just tried scratch them kind of, told them go away, so they do