Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Any advice on keeping 2 males together?

Comments

• supamouse87supamouse87 Mouse
    This is Bailey
    DSC_0676.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 745K
    Bailey again
    DSC_0675.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 753K
    And again
    DSC_0662.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 716K
    Lucky left, and benny
    DSC_0656.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 640K
    Lucky and benny again
    DSC_0655.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 605K
    Just need show u paddy x
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    I bet Bailey will end up being the maddest! My female hairless was such a lovely, energetic little mouse. I was gutted to lose her to epilepsy. Keep a close eye on Bailey supamouse, he will also feel the cold more than the furred boys will in wintertime, although I know you will give them plenty of nesting material. x
    He has a very thin layer of hair, like abit of fuzz, he has plenty of bedding, he sleeps with the others, also he likes the pink furry hammock bed =)) he's such A cutie even my mum said he's really cute n at first she said he will be horrible, think him and paddy are the smallest of the 4, the other 2 are bigger, 3 have red eyes n paddy has black eyes
    Lucky
    DSC_0708.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 686K
    Paddy
    DSC_0705.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 745K
    Bailey, he doesn't wanna be handled :(
    DSC_0697.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 623K
    This is old butch, hes 2yrs and 6mnths
    DSC_0683.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 443K
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I must say Butch looks very good for his age. The new boys are all very sweet!
    Hairless mice can tend to be a bit scatty! Let Bailey do his thing though as it`s just his way. Butch does look like a little wavy coated mouse! x
    Thanks, I wanna handle Bailey, him and the other mouse benny are abit more shy whilst paddy and Lucky are confident n they wanna come out
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    They are gorgeous x
    Thanks xx
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    edited September 2015 Posts: 631

they love the hanging bed but the mice like sitting on top of it n it's high up, another mouse also went up there n the mouse that was on it made him go away, so he's being bossy, he tried scratch him, I feel sad to take the hanging bed out as it's cum along way and they love it, they sleep in there, they have other sleeping areas but they like that bed, I've scatter fed n they like that, first night alot of squeaking, I thought perhaps getting used to the cage n deciding who's boss, the caramel n white boss seems to be the dominant one, to be honest Wen he's having a drink n another mouse goes to the bottle he looks at them n they run off!!
    Uve had males so u know.... Ok... Ive been observing things, caramel n white mouse is the boss, a few times he's told the other mice off for goin in his space, also chased them the odd time, now scatter feed n took that tower out, right, a mouse went on top of the hanging bed where he was snoozing, they sniffed eachothers mouths, then the boss mouse, lucky started washing the other mouse, is that OK? Also did it to another mouse, or is that dominance? There's no aggression or bullying, just the odd time he told a mouse off for coming in his space,just tried scratch them kind of, told them go away, so they do

Washing another mouse is generally ok, but making another mouse run off can be bullying behaviour and can quickly escalate into fights as the boys get older. I would still not recommend using any hanging toys like beds and hammocks, but if you do you are going to have to be very careful and make sure that this behaviour doesn't escalate. This can also be a hygiene issue as cleaning these things can really set males off so you might end up just cleaning them with a damp cloth to retain as much of their smell and ick as possible! The same for the water bottle - another mouse looking at one or rattling it's tail at another is usually a sign that they are bullying the other mice enough to scare them off. I'd recommend a water bottle for every two males you have as it means if a mouse can't access one bottle it can go to another.

Signs their behaviour is escalating can include chasing, preventing another mouse sleeping, stopping them drinking or eating, stalking (one mouse follows another silently around the cage as if they are hunting prey and waits to pounce) and actual fighting. Ball fighting is a sign that things are at their worst and the second blood is drawn you need to separate the attacker from the others. I always used to keep a small spray bottle filled with clean water and a towel near my entire mouse cages - that way if a fight starts off you can spray them to distract them or throw a towel over them to separate them without getting bitten in the process (a bite from a mouse mid-fight is much worse than a normal "leave me alone!!!" bite!!)

And the boys are gorgeous supamouse :D I love Lucky and Paddy though - Paddy is the spitting image of my Houdini :) And Butch looks fab for his age :D
    Pics of Bailey
    DSC_0726.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 439K
    Bailey
    DSC_0728.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 413K
    Bailey again
    DSC_0731.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 432K
    Thank you for all the advice... It's very helpful, it's cleaning day Saturday so I'll just be cleaning half of the substrate out, also buyin them another flying saucer as they all wanna run on the one they have =))
    Bailey is just gorgeous and those ears!!!! be careful with the cleaning and try not to remove too much too soon. x  
    Is half clean ok?
    Those pics are great :)

I think a half clean should be ok (although to be safe I'd probably either clean the toys or swap half the substrate) but you might want someone with more success with males to answer really :P
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    I'm dreading cleaning it lol
    I've had to clean the flying saucer today n the other day cuz it had poops all over it n dried pee n I just couldn't leave it like that... But everything else I'll leave, they have a wooden bridge, a wooden two storey playhouse, a silent spinner wheel, a wooden log toy, a bendy bridge, and their furry bed that hangs, don't need clean anything, it's all ok
    Bought them these
    DSC_0740.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 778K
    And can't leave old butch out
    DSC_0741.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 737K
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse

I've had to clean the flying saucer today n the other day cuz it had poops all over it n dried pee n I just couldn't leave it like that... But everything else I'll leave, they have a wooden bridge, a wooden two storey playhouse, a silent spinner wheel, a wooden log toy, a bendy bridge, and their furry bed that hangs, don't need clean anything, it's all ok

Spot cleaning like that is fine :) I used to use all cardboard or plastic toys for my male groups - you can replace half the cardboard and use a dry cloth to wipe half of the plastic toys down. A few days later you can do the other half :)

I hope Butch enjoys his cone :P I can imagine him munching into that :P