Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

A little question

Can mice have those little veg dog chews ? They are shaped like crocodiles or toothbrushes, I think they are called Whimzees. And can they have dried crickets? Xx

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse

Crickets are more natural because they are an insect and provide natural protein, just like dry mealworms, although some mice may not like them so I suppose you could pop one in the food dish and see if it vanishes!

The Antos(?) crocodile chews I`ve heard of but in all honesty, they are not something I would feed to mice or to hamsters/gerbils. If they are vegetable based then yes, they are probably okay as a cage chew.They are probably safe enough ingredients-wise but maybe someone else can answer this for you as they are not something I use. x

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Thanks racngmouse will try them with a cricket tonight but not the chew until I find out more. X
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    The chews are fine too - some of my mice loved them and others just ignored them so I don't generally buy them any more but they're definitely OK.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thanks AnnB that's great will try them with one.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Oh and at first everyone ignored the cricket (mice and Hamster) but then they disappeared. So enjoyed by all I think :D
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 529
    I contacted Antos directly to check the ingredients a while ago (wanted a clearer list than those I could get online as I wanted to know if a pet with dietary restrictions'd be safe with them). Ann is right and they're definetly safe for mice and hamsters :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Oh that's great Kyrilliondaemon thank you.
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Thanks for clarifying guys. x
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    My mice and hams love the antos chews, but funnily enough none of them will eat anything other than the green ones. It's caused a bit of a problem though as Amber (pup) loves them too...and has decided that if a cage door is open for too long while I'm cage cleaning just to steal any uneaten antos chews!!
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Lol naughty Amber. Hettie spent ages putting one in her pouch (one of the tiny ones) then walked four steps and hid it under her wheel !