Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Rat rations syrian mix?

I just wondered if anyone had tried the Syrian hamster mix from Rat rations? It's not a complete food but I was going to buy some and mix it in with Hettie's food.What do you think?

Comments

• edited September 2015 Posts: 529
    My honest advice would be to avoid it, but I do have a bad history with those mixes because I was involved in the fuss when the mixes changed to be labelled as not complete. They used to be advertised as complete and fed alone they can do a heck of a lot of damage (I had three pets at the vets being diagnosed with a permanent health issue after being fed the dwarf ones, the vet themselves did say they felt diet was the cause). Seems safer to me to stick with more complete mixes if you want variety, for example the JR farm mixes on zooplus're really varied and complete mixes :)

That said - it is *probably* fine as long as its not treated as a complete food. I just wouldn't risk it myself after the issues my pets had because of the dwarf mixes. I believe its supposedly based on the shunamite style rat diets, if its made with the right values of protein/fat/fibre in mind and is correctly made based on those then it may well be fine mixed in with your mix. One issue I have is that its a lot harder to find accurate ideas of the correct protein level for hamsters than it is for mice, which is why I trust my shunamite style mouse diet and the ratrations rat foods a lot more than the hamster ones.

If you do use the ratrations syrian mix then I'd stick to small amounts though, its definetly better safe than sorry with that one if you ask me.

Edit - I knew there was something I'd forgotten! I've also had a pet allergic to the dwarf mixes due to the ingredients being so different to more standard hamster foods, although I must admit I'm pretty sure she'd have been allergic to the JR farm foods too lol. Figured it was worth mentioning all the same though, especially when it was a nightmare working out what'd caused the allergy to begin with.
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Gosh thanks for that,I'm so glad I asked before I ordered it. I wouldn't to touch it now. I will look on zooplus for the JR farm mixes. Thanks again.
    No worries, the mixes had a good reputation for a while... Then a few of us wound up in the vets getting our pets diagnosed with issues caused by diet and people noticed a concerning trend in health issues hams on the mixes were developing (and it was syrians and dwarf hams affected). It caused a huge fuss on another forum I use unfortunately. In the long run the fuss got the mixes labelled as incomplete which is good as hopefully now other hamsters will be spared what a lot went through.

Like I said, I'm just one of those who had the bad experiences but its definetly made me way too wary to ever go near them again.

I hope you like the JR farm mixes if you try them :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse

I think I remember that discussion kyrill as I found a few articles regarding the raw lentils that were added to the hamster mixes and what the articles said was that raw lentils contain a substance that can actually prevent the body from absorbing other nutrients from other foods, causing weight loss. I wasn`t too popular for bringing those facts up. I can`t remember all that was written as it was quite some time ago, but like you, I found them rather wanting in terms of professional analysis. Many commercial brands vary too in content, but these possibly have to go through more rigorous testing and certification before being allowed in the market place.

The JR Farm mixes are good Nicky. I bought four bags of the dwarf version for my Russian dwarf even though I feed Burgess Supahamster  too (one you may want to consider for a Syrian) as it has good variety like whole peanuts, pumpkin seeds, poultry meal biscuits and the usual mix of flaked grains, sunflower seeds etc....x

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you both. I will also try the Burgess racngmouse. She just does not seem to be enjoying the food she is on at all.
    I tried a few mixes when I had my Syrian Boris from Harry Hamster to WAGG and then onto Burgess Supahamster. I also bought a bag of the Tesco hamster food and he enjoyed that too. Sometimes mixing a few together can whet their appetite! I still use Supahamster for my Russian dwarf even though Burgess do a dwarf version of the food, I feel it`s mostly canary seed mix and alfalfa. The main mix they do (Supahamster) used to be aimed at Syrians alone, but they changed the packaging and now just market it at ALL hamsters, even though they still produce the dwarf version. x
    Don't worry racinghamster, any comments on raw lentils can't have gone down as badly as some of my comments on the mixes, it didn't help that I refused to shut up either because I felt people should be warned given how popular those mixes were at one point. On the bright side the whole fiasco did inspire me to really get some forum rules memorised and to really, really consider those rules when typing every word of some of my posts. Was kinda educational for me in that respect :)
    Plus the ratrations mixes for rats contain lentils so unless its a species specific thing it may be that the possible issues with lentils are kinda countered by adding the recommended supplements. Although since supplements weren't advised for the syrian mixes at the time it might be the lentils made an existing issue even worse I guess.

It can be frustrating when you know something to be fact and highlight your concerns and then get nothing but negativity while others will listen. Producing a hamster, mouse, rat food from scratch I imagine takes a lot of homework and calculations. Something I could never do! I often wonder where companies who make these foods get their analytical information from. I suppose it`s from animal scientific studies regarding their nutritional needs? When we call a hamster mix "complete" I don`t suppose a human diet could be called the same since we eat what we want, when we want and our diets seem to keep us going regardless, although comparing the two is probably silly anyway, but you know what I mean! x