Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Ernie

Little Ernie is now just over 2 years old and has been living with Strawberry and Shortcake for the last year. Ever since he was neutered in fact. Strawberry and Shortcake are the two girls who came up from Cornwall last year to be his companions after I had to separate and neuter him and Eric. These are the two girls whom I have never really managed to bond with, my 'mini-jaws!'  Well last night I removed him from the cage with the two girls as I thought he was possibly on the way to Rainbow Bridge and the bigger of the two girls (and they are both huge mice next to poor Ernie) seemed to be intent on hounding him wherever he tried to go. He has been scratching his face and chest for a while now and the skin on his face is looking very thickened but other than that up until last night he has seemed fine. So I set him up in a temporary cage over night to give him a) chance to have a bit of a breather and b) take stock of whats actually going on with him. His fur was ruffled and spiky last night and his breathing deteriorated a lot by the time I went to bed. I don't have any baytril in the house right now (waiting on the vet to call me about him). However this morning he seems miles better, although he slept on the heat mat side all night, his breathing is vastly improved and his fur is virtually back to normal.

Now normally if I had a sick mouse, especially if its one that I thought might not be with me for much longer I would put him back in with his/her family and not stress them out by keeping them alone but Ernie seems to be much better on his own. I am feeling guilty, if this is a bullying induced issue, I have been here before and I should of picked up on it a lot earlier :(  If Ernie fully recovers from this do you think it would be fair to leave him alone or should I look for a new little house partner for him? Just wondering if a young mouse would be better for him. Certainly apart from this little episode he does not look his age. I would appreciate a bit of outside perspective on this :/
:-?
The Pink Paw Gang are back in town! 2 mice, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 2 springer spaniels, 1 sprollie and 1 sprocker. Is this what you call a multicultural house :)

Remembering my gorgeous boy Griffon, my cheeky Merlin, my beautiful Womble, the handsome Mr George and my 'grumpy' old man Buster

Run free Lilo, Meeko, Stitch, Molly and Davey (hamsters) Zelda, Princess, Ninny and Link (rats) and Squeak (guinea pig)

Playing at The Rainbow Bridge are Wooster, Baldrick, Sir Edmund, Parker, Daisy, Poppy, Lily, Rosie & Fleur, Mitch, Alex, Pyscho, Tango & Cash, Little Misses Trouble and Mischief, Coco, Cookie & Hazel, Lilley & Tilley and Ernie, Pete, Strawberry and Shortcake and Mr & Mrs Mabel & Eric Mouse

Every little life matters

Comments

I'd wait and see how he seems to be doing. If he seems to stay happy on his own then I'd probably seriously consider leaving him alone, might be safer than risking intros
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I'd be inclined to agree, if he seems to be happy, pottering about on his own I don't think I'd worry too much.
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    I agree. You always have his two ladies to hand in case he feels like some company again although that would depend on them I suppose if they were the cause for his flare up Ann. Maybe he just needs some time out? Obviously you don`t want his health compromised by any stress related behaviour from the girls so you have done the right thing and can monitor him for a few days. Male mice love their humans anyway! Hope the wee man is okay. x
  • AlisonAlison Mouse
    Well I have left him in the hospital cage. He is looking a lot better now, so I think this was more stress related. I'll set him up in his own cage over the weekend. Unfortunately now his fur is not all spiky and he is moving freely around the cage he looks to have an internal swelling that is growing out of the left side of his abdomen. So it looks as though this is just going to be palliative care and yet another trip to the vets when the time comes :(
    The Pink Paw Gang are back in town! 2 mice, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 2 springer spaniels, 1 sprollie and 1 sprocker. Is this what you call a multicultural house :)

Remembering my gorgeous boy Griffon, my cheeky Merlin, my beautiful Womble, the handsome Mr George and my 'grumpy' old man Buster

Run free Lilo, Meeko, Stitch, Molly and Davey (hamsters) Zelda, Princess, Ninny and Link (rats) and Squeak (guinea pig)

Playing at The Rainbow Bridge are Wooster, Baldrick, Sir Edmund, Parker, Daisy, Poppy, Lily, Rosie & Fleur, Mitch, Alex, Pyscho, Tango & Cash, Little Misses Trouble and Mischief, Coco, Cookie & Hazel, Lilley & Tilley and Ernie, Pete, Strawberry and Shortcake and Mr & Mrs Mabel & Eric Mouse

I'm sorry to read that :( I hope he's comfortable and happy with you for a while yet
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    Sorry for calling you Ann Alison, I must have had a senior moment! Poor lad, if he`s managing better alone now with cuddles and having his own routine, it`s better to allow him some peace if it`s helping him mentally and physically. At his age mice can be picked on by younger mice not in a bad way, but because he`s more likely to be pushed out or feels harassed by the others and because he may feel weaker, can affect his overall health in a negative way as seems here. x
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    :( I'm sorry it's not looking good for Ernie :( I hope that he manages a bit better on his own though for whatever time he has left x
  • AlisonAlison Mouse

Sorry for calling you Ann Alison, I must have had a senior moment! Poor lad, if he`s managing better alone now with cuddles and having his own routine, it`s better to allow him some peace if it`s helping him mentally and physically. At his age mice can be picked on by younger mice not in a bad way, but because he`s more likely to be pushed out or feels harassed by the others and because he may feel weaker, can affect his overall health in a negative way as seems here. x

No worries at all April, I do it all the time here, I think my life is one big senior moment. The children, dogs and small furries get called all the wrong names all the time, so much so that they all tend to answer to anything now :D

Well Ernie is pottering on. He is far happier in a Ferplast Paula and on his own now. He is now losing use of his back legs and I have left the heat mat on for him as he prefers to sleep over the heat. Without it he seems to deteriorate before your eyes :( But other than that he seems happy enough

Give wee Ernie cuddles from me Alison. It`s all you can do is make his life easy now and I`m sure he`s being pampered. x