Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

It's a big day for Pete

AlisonAlison Mouse
edited October 2015 in Health
So I have finally gotten around to booking him in for neutering.

So it's going to be a day full of pacing until I know he has come through the op ok.

Think I will concentrate on cleaning my kitchen...
imageimage
11228906_10206361106281282_4365704563695743777_n.jpg
540 x 960 - 62K
12108882_10206361106321283_162306985602659536_n.jpg
540 x 960 - 43K
The Pink Paw Gang are back in town! 2 mice, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 2 springer spaniels, 1 sprollie and 1 sprocker. Is this what you call a multicultural house :)

Remembering my gorgeous boy Griffon, my cheeky Merlin, my beautiful Womble, the handsome Mr George and my 'grumpy' old man Buster

Run free Lilo, Meeko, Stitch, Molly and Davey (hamsters) Zelda, Princess, Ninny and Link (rats) and Squeak (guinea pig)

Playing at The Rainbow Bridge are Wooster, Baldrick, Sir Edmund, Parker, Daisy, Poppy, Lily, Rosie & Fleur, Mitch, Alex, Pyscho, Tango & Cash, Little Misses Trouble and Mischief, Coco, Cookie & Hazel, Lilley & Tilley and Ernie, Pete, Strawberry and Shortcake and Mr & Mrs Mabel & Eric Mouse

Every little life matters

Comments

• CritteryCrittery Overlord
    Best of luck Pete!

Fingers crossed
    :)
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Fingers and toes all crossed firmly for you Pete. x
  • AlisonAlison Mouse
    I am in bits here. Vet's have just phoned to say he died an hour after the op. My poor little guy. Devastated
    The Pink Paw Gang are back in town! 2 mice, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 2 springer spaniels, 1 sprollie and 1 sprocker. Is this what you call a multicultural house :)

Remembering my gorgeous boy Griffon, my cheeky Merlin, my beautiful Womble, the handsome Mr George and my 'grumpy' old man Buster

Run free Lilo, Meeko, Stitch, Molly and Davey (hamsters) Zelda, Princess, Ninny and Link (rats) and Squeak (guinea pig)

Playing at The Rainbow Bridge are Wooster, Baldrick, Sir Edmund, Parker, Daisy, Poppy, Lily, Rosie & Fleur, Mitch, Alex, Pyscho, Tango & Cash, Little Misses Trouble and Mischief, Coco, Cookie & Hazel, Lilley & Tilley and Ernie, Pete, Strawberry and Shortcake and Mr & Mrs Mabel & Eric Mouse

Oh I'm so sorry hun. It's such a hard decision to make, but you did it with his best interests at heart. Run free Pete
    :(
    crittery.co.uk

edited October 2015 Posts: 1,269

:(  I`m so sorry this has happened Alison, what a rotten shame. It`s so easy to feel positive about these surgeries and to be fair, many do go well, but it`s a risk. Remember though you had his best interests at heart and his future being a brighter one. Sometimes they just can`t recover from anaesthetics. If it`s any consolation, when I had one of my female mice Betsy in for a large tumour removal, the vet did say he nearly lost her during the op, but thankfully, she got through it. That was enough to put me off surgery in mice. Neutering in males, although not new, is not something many vets get asked to perform. I doubt they even see many pet mice in their surgeries but some vets are happy to do these operations regardless.

Chin up honey. I feel your pain. x

I'm really sorry to read this :(
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Oh no Alison, I'm so sorry.

Rest in peace Pete.

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Aw I'm so very sorry xx
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Oh Alison :( I'm so, so sorry :( You made a decision that would have been best for him, I'm so sorry that he passed away after the op :( Run free Pete - and sending you huge hugs Alison xxxx
  • AlisonAlison Mouse
    edited October 2015 Posts: 84
    There is always a risk with small animals that the anaesthesia is too much for them. Apparently he survived the op ok and came round from the GA but stopped breathing shortly after and they couldn't get him breathing again. I understand there is a risk, perhaps having had a few successful neuters before, I was a little more blase, who knows. I do know I didn't feel totally comfortable taking him over yesterday morning, hence why I took some photos of him. Just some strange feeling I had that I wish I had taken more notice of now. My intentions were good, the aim was for him to be able to live with other mice and have a more fulfilled life in doing so and had this been me commenting on anyone elses thread I too would be reassuring them that they couldn't of known, that they acted with his best interests at heart etc etc. I know all of that and it's all true, it just doesn't stop me feeling like a murderer though. There he was playing away quite happily in his cage yesterday morning until I hoiked him out of it, stuck him in a small cage, lugged him all the way across town and left him with a strange person, who for reasons he will never know now, nor would of he have understood at the time, put him through the pain and distress of what he went through. And all alone too. And now, because he didn't come through it, he will never understand why and how it could have been for his benefit.

I feel like ***!

:(  It`s no wonder your having these feelings Alison, I would be exactly the same. Questioning why. But you know why you did it and the intentions were for his life to be bettered. All in all I had around seven male mice at various times and they all lived out their lives as single males eventually. It was hard work sometimes because I spent a hell of a lot of time with them. I saw them as my companions, my focus. Just as any of my small pets are now. I was always sceptical about neutering mice even when many were taking that route and some mice survived while a few didn`t. It`s a bit like putting your horse in the Grand National. You don`t know if it will pass the finishing line alive. A game of chance.

Was Pete a rescue mouse or from a shop? He looks small in the images. Maybe that went against him? x

It's a very personal decision. I'd just add that from the statistics I've seen, from people I respect, chances are in the favour of it being successful. Any surgery has risks though of course :/

Please try not to second-guess yourself Alison, you cared for him and did your best. We can't know how these things will turn out.

(We don't seem to have a hug emoticon, what kind of fool setup this forum!! :-* )
    crittery.co.uk

• zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Alison, I imaginge that Pete wouldn't have been in any pain or distress. Your vets will have had him on pain killers and he will at the very most have felt tired - I know from all the one's I've had through ops that they are far too active to be in pain when they get home. He won't have been distressed either - you've been going to the vets (the same one I assume) for a while and I think they will have been very gentle with him so as not to scare him, and if Pete is anything like your other mice, and the boys I've had he will probably have had a blast checking out the new surroundings. Mine have been known to redecorate the vet's offices when they have gone in for ops or check ups and always have people stopping by to speak to them and with a vet that is willing to treat and operate on mice I think they would be the same and have enjoyed his company as much as he enjoyed them.

I know none of this will stop you second guessing yourself, but if you want to chat give me a shout. We've all done things or made decisions we regret for our animals but I promise you, you did not kill Pete xx
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 529
    For what its worth Alison I remember feeling guilty after Conker passed during his neutering surgery. Zany is right and you did not kill Pete. Given how Conker was behaving before the surgery I genuinely believe he'd prefer we'd given him the chance to have a life with friends again and that he'll be ok with not having made it through the surgery. He knew we loved him and Pete knew you did. Animals are forgiving, Pete and Conker will've trusted that we thought we were doing the right thing and I really don't believe Pete would blame you for it not working out as you'd hoped.

There are risks to neutering, we all know this when we choose to put males in for the surgery (or to not put them in for it). Every time I've made the choice for surgery I've been aware of the risks and that it might not go as I hope, I've also been aware of the benefits for the mouse and the reasons I feel its worth taking those risks. I'm sure you weren't more blase about the surgery just because a few'd been successful before, maybe you were a little more confident but thats not neccessarily a bad thing. I'm a lot happier with the idea of putting males in for neutering in future than I was before I'd had any boys neutered, I think thats just starting to see the statistics play out and the benefits it brings, its not being over confident, its having a more realistic idea of how likely/unlikely bad news is and of how much the boys can stand to gain. I genuinely believe you were just trying to do your absolute best for Pete and you were hit by bad luck. I know none of this'll help much now, but if you're anything like I was after losing Conker you will stop feeling quite so bad in time. One dayyou'll believe all those words you'd tell others (and probably did tell me when I lost Conker). I'm just sorry the time until then sucks so much :(
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • supamouse87supamouse87 Mouse
    So sad to read this, I was thinking of having my 4 boys that are together neutered but now I'm not, they are 3mnths old now n still living together n I was gonna have them all neutered so they can stay living together but it would break my heart if I lost them, I'm so sorry for u but it's just one of those things unfortunately, alot pull through, the odd one doesn't xx
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    So so sorry for your loss. Big hugs x

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Really sorry to hear this :( as others have said, you had his best interests at heart, so try not to beat yourself up about it. It's your intentions that matter, and if Pete had pulled through he would have had a more fulfilling life because of it. Rest in peace, little guy.
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger