Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Multimammates in an explorer

I recently bought a liberta explorer on a whim, but the only animals I could keep in it are the multimammates.

Does anyone have any comments on this cage for multis? I'm a little worried about the bar spacing. I already have some deep trays so the bedding isn't an issue.
Thanks. :)

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Hi yoonicorn. I`d need to google this cage as I can`t recall what it looks like or what the bar spacing is, but Multis are said to enjoy climbing so barred cages are probably good habitats for them rather than big tank-style cages unless they were glass as Multis can and will chew out through plastic! It sounds like a decent size for them but the bar spacing ideally shouldn`t be over 1cm for fancy mice. Multis are that bit bigger in size though so you might get away with bars that are a little wider. Not sure though. Hopefully someone else can reassure you more. x  
  • yoonicornyoonicorn Lemming
    Thank you! That's very helpful. :)
    I'm sorry, I completely left out any useful information! The bar spacing is 12mm, it's a HUGE metal mesh cage with plenty of room for climbing and hanging things. I'm worried about how safe they're going to be, as it's originally designed as a rat cage, and I've not heard of any very small animals being kept in them. (it's nearly always used for chinchillas, degus, and rats, from what I've seen)
    12mm is often ok for syrian hamsters if thats any help? We used 13mm bars with Scamp (our first syrian as adults) for a while, she wasn't a huge girl and wasn't fully grown at first but she couldn't get out through them :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)

Is it this cage? There seems to be two versions. This one and an even larger one with two levels? Looks a nice big cage with a level and ramps though!

explorer cage.JPG
    178 x 201 - 13K
    Yes, that's it! I've decided to take the plunge and put them in there next week in the free range room, so even if they do get out, they'll be safe. (there is no way for them to hurt themselves in that room at all, short of charging at the wall or something)
    Thank you very much for the advice. :)
    Lucky mice! :) Do they use all the cage space? Climbing, scooting around? I imagine they do being active mice. They do love to chew though so I imagine they chew everything they get given?!!!! x
    They're currently in a glass gerbilarium with a topper, and they definitely use all of it! They use the top half to sleep in, but go down to forage or use some of the other toys. The main concern I have is that I'm not sure it's large enough for them anymore, hence why they're getting an upgrade. :)
    They actually don't chew much at all, which surprised me! They do chew cardboard if the access isn't to their liking (I sometimes put in closed boxes), but their hammocks (which they have had for months) are still in perfect condition, despite being one of the most used sleeping places, as are the wooden structures in their cage. The other ones I've had have chewed a lot, though, so I'm not sure if that's to do with their upbringing or something.
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    You could put them in the cage for a whole day while you are around to watch as a play session. I imagine that they will try to get out at some point during that time frame and if they manage it then you know it's not safe :) And if it turns out it's not safe and they can get out of their cage then you can mesh it over and use either wire ties or cable tidies to secure wire mesh around the full cage :) Or you could just do that from the get go :) Either way I think they will appreciate a cage of that height :) I imagine though it will be safe for them unless they are on the small side :)
    That's a much much better idea! I'll definitely give that a go. :) Thank you!
    yoonicorn said:

That's a much much better idea! I'll definitely give that a go. :) Thank you!

I hope it works and they don't manage to get out :) Are your boys about the size of a syrian or are they more fluffy large mouse size? I've found my ASFs were able to get through that size of bar spacing previously because they were on the small size, but my normal girl wasn't able to get through.
    Was this a cage you previously had and now want to use yoonicorn or did you buy it specifically for the Multis? If it doesn`t work out (and I hope it does) you could always look at other cages made for rats like the Mamble cage, which is quite roomy and tall but not as large as the Explorer. The bar spacing is narrower I`m sure on the Mamble cage but there are others on the market as well. Some sites sell the Mamble cage quite cheap. x
    bumping for an update.
    I put them in there about 3 weeks ago, and boy do they love it! There are no escapees yet and they are thoroughly enjoying themselves in the cage. They use the entire thing, and they're very active in there. It's still a little bit bare as the previous cage was very difficult to customize so I didn't have many accessories lying around, but I'll try and get some nice pictures at some point.
    The main reason I got the cage was because it was so cheap (£30!) so didn't see it as much of a gamble, but if things don't work out with this, I'll definitely look into some other rat cages as I don't think I could put them back in the old cage now.
    I'd love to be able to compare their size in case it might help anyone, but having kept both show and pet shop hamsters, there's been quite a bit of variation! They're about the same size as the smallest syrian I've ever kept, although he was ridiculously tiny.

Thank you for the brilliant advice and help. The boys seem really happy in their new home. :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    It sounds as though your gamble paid off. Great news that they are so happy in the Explorer and fingers crossed that they never manage to escape.

So pleased to hear the cage is okay for them I`ll bet they are loving it! The good thing about larger cages is you can add extra shelving, tubes, hanging bits and bobs etc...

Would love to see some photos sometime of them and the cage if you have time. x

That is fab news yoonicorn :D I'm glad that they have enjoyed their new cage and not been able to escape :D I hope you manage to get photos as i'd love to see your set up for them, I've not tried my multis in a cage as large as an explorer :)

And sorry for comparing them to a syrian - I forgot about the size differences!! I'm used to an average pet shop sized one and have never seen show ones!! I'll remember that for next time :)
    And sorry for comparing them to a syrian - I forgot about the size differences!! I'm used to an average pet shop sized one and have never seen show ones!! I'll remember that for next time :)
    It was a more than reasonable question, I hope my response didn't sound rude! 

Here is the cage, although a lot of the toys are hidden due to the shelving. I'll try and get some nice pictures of them actually in the cage a bit later, but they're all asleep at the moment, and the lighting is terrible so I can't get any good pictures of individual shelves.
    yoonicorn said:

It was a more than reasonable question, I hope my response didn't sound rude! 
    No, it didn't sound rude at all :) It was a point I hadn't even thought about so I'm glad you made it :)

The cage looks fab :D I love the way you have laid it out for them - I hope they cooperate and let you take photos later as i'd love to see everyone having fun in there :)