Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

I think Isla is dying but showing bursts of energy?

I recently lost my boy, Rannoch around the age of two. Isla is the same age and so I decided not to stress her by introducing more mice, instead I've just given her lots of love and attention. She's been fine until now, although showing signs of old age.

This morning I checked on her and could see her curled in the middle of the cage, not breathing. I went to pick her up and she was cold but moved very weakly. I brought her out the cage and put her on a hot water bottle, covered in a blanket and half curled in my hands. She lay like that for 3 hours, eyes open, weak and laboured breathing. She also passed a small amount of blood into my hands.

I leaned over to get a tissue and she started leaping about. She leapt out my hands then onto the floor and did this about 3 times before staying completely still. When I went near her she did it again but instead of leaping it was more like a seizure, her legs and feet didn't seem to work or hold her up.

I left her to chill out on the floor before going to pick her up, and after more leaping was able to pick her up, and I've put her in her cage for her own safety. She's curled up where I put her, still breathing.

I have no idea what to do. She is hand tame and never reacted negatively to me picking her up so I think it's to do with what she's going through, but I can't find anyone else who's experienced this energetic leaping? I didn't take her to the vet earlier because she seemed so close to death and I would rather she died comfortably at home, but now I don't want to take her because she'll stress and possibly injure herself.

Any advice gratefully appreciated

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    It does sound very much as if she's near the end and she will probably pass peacefully at home but if she looks in any discomfort, you might consider a trip to the vet.
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    I agree with Ann. Sometimes it`s better to leave them where they are if they seem cold and on their way. The leaping around could be a sign that her heart if fluctuating or closing down or brain activity. I wouldn`t hold her or lift her anymore to be honest. Sit by her and let her rest where she feels safe. Inside her cage. But as Ann said, if she seems to be holding on but is in any distress, it may be better to take her in and have her peacefully put to sleep if your vet isn`t too far. So sorry to hear this though, it`s never easy. x
  • larkalarka Lemming
    Thanks all. Left her in her cage but stayed by her. Decided to take her to the vet about 7pm but she died on the way
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I'm so sorry. Rest in peace Isla.
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Such a shame. She did sound in a bad way though so it`s better she`s at rest now poor love. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Very sorry x
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    :( I'm really sorry :( Run free Isla xx

(To answer your question though, the leaping can be muscle spasms as their body starts shutting down, it's similar to "death throes" just as they have passed away where the body starts twitching and jerking about  :( It's horrid to watch :( )