Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Young mice and the Alaska cage.

Helloooo! I haven't been on here for ages and ages and ages :P Sorry about that. Been very busy :) But I'm sort of sneaky and normally read other peoples posts instead of posting my own. But I do have a question that I need answering :) Can very young mice (4-5 weeks and up) get through the bars of the Alaska cage?????
Thank you very much :)

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

It's good to hear from you again.

I haven't ever had an Alaska cage but I think the bar spacing is 0.9cm. I definitely wouldn't chance it with very young mice but unless your mice are particularly tiny at 5 weeks they probably won't be able to escape. One other consideration is that it's a flat pack cage which might mean there are some larger gaps at the sides or where the sides meet the top.

I've used an Alaska for youngsters but Ann is totally right that its best not risked with really small mice. There are slightly bigger gaps around the top corners and if any creature could find and use those gaps... Mice'd be the ones to do it! I have used it for small mice with no problems but I'd not trust any really teensy mice in one.
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • PetaleafPetaleaf Lemming
    Okay, thank you! :) :) :) Could I cover the gaps with some more wire (garden wire?) Would that work???? Thank you again, this has really helped :D
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Is the Alaska a cage you already have? In which case, yes you could buy some of that really small, square mesh to cover the gaps. Make sure you don't leave any sharp edges that the mice could hurt themselves on.

If you're buying a new cage, there are other cages that might have better bar spacing, at around the same price as an Alaska.

• edited November 2015 Posts: 529
    I can't see why covering the gaps with wire wouldn't work if you've already got the cage :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    In a nutshell, no. You would run the risk of the mice escaping and baby/young mice are full of skills in that respect! Meshing could be the answer yes, but the mesh would need to be attached on the outside of the cage and carefully done so as not to have any jagged edges exposed. The Ferplast Kios is a nice barred cage for mice and has 7mm bars. x
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    It would work if you are careful :) I imagine your options are either to mesh the whole cage or, if there are only a few areas with a wider gap you could use some thick wire and weave it through the bars around these areas a few times to make it impossible for a mouse to get out :) If I am home early enough I will photograph the cage I had to wire weave up - the bars had been widened in an area as a result of damage and it left an area where my mice could get out of. If you weave the wire a few times in different directions it also means that it's not as easy for the mice to move the wire around :P
  • PetaleafPetaleaf Lemming
    Okay, thank you! This has helped a great deal! Thank you very much!!!! :)