Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Mouse is pregnant and her cage mate passed...????

Hey everyone! So, Midnight (My last mouse) had three cage mates before but they all recently died of old age :( Midnight is my newest and youngest mouse. She is also pregnant. What do I do? Will her loneliness affect the babies? Should I get her a friend even though she will give birth soon? Thanks everyone for the help!
Tagged:

Comments

• zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    How close is she to giving birth? It's a hard one either way, but if she is noticeably unhappy I'd get her a friend if it were me as it also means she'd have some one to help out with the babies. If you don't decide to do that then when the babies come along it will be stressful for her so I'd try to give her as much out of cage time as she wants so that she has regular breaks from the babies and doesn't become overwhelmed. Hopefully some one with a bit more experience will come along and give you some more advice :( Sorry I wasn't able to give you a definitive answer :( Welcome to out forum though :)
  • Vanessa8mouseVanessa8mouse Lemming
    Thank you! and you can see that she is pregnant so id say a couple more days until birth?
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Welcome to the forum.

I think I'd worry that introducing a new mouse might also be stressful for her and could cause her to eat the babies when they arrive, especially now that you've mentioned she is close to giving birth. It's always so difficult to know what to do for the best.

Thank you, I hope that everything will go well for my little girl :)
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse

She should birth and care for her new babies fine but keep things simple and quiet around her. Don`t feel you need to intervene right away or too often until she`s seeming comfortable with her new life as a mum. Mice are good mums and instinctively know what to do, so provide her with good protein sources AFTER the little ones are born with things like small dried mealworms. The babies particularly will benefit from high protein once they start eating solids.

Are you in the UK? Pesonally, I would let her have her babies and as they grow, you will possibly have a few females in the litter to stay with their mum anyway, so she will have company soon enough! Let us know when the little ones arrive. x

Thanks for all the help everyone! I will hopefully post pictures of the babies when they are born :)
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Oh yes, if she is that close to giving birth then I'd do as Ann and Racing Mouse suggested and leave her as she is to prevent stress!! I hope that everything goes well and I can't wait to see photos when the babies are born :)
    She looks as if she is going to pop with babies! hopefully she doesnt have to many for me to handle!
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Have you dealt with baby mice before? Just remember to write down their birth date so you know when they are four/five weeks old as any male babies will need separating from their mum and sisters. x
    No, this will be my first time with babies. and thanks, I will be sure to do that!