Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

What on earth?

Last night when I got Hermine the mouse out I noticed that she has a bald area on one side of her face, it starts just below her ear and stops at her chin. What on earth could it be? It doesn't look sore. I have no idea how long she has had it as for once I was wearing my glasses. A few weeks ago Beatrix her cage mate had some fur loss just above her nose. I didn't worry to much as it looked as if she had been rubbing and it has completely cleared up.

Comments

• zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Could it be barberism? It certainly sounds like it based on the location as the face is one of the most common areas I've seen my mice barber one another. Other options (but I think less likely when it has cleared up on it's own in Beatrix) are mites or a fungal infection which may require treatment by xeno or something like athletes foot powder respectively.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you. Why do mice start to barber each other and is there anything I can do?
    Nicky said:

Thank you. Why do mice start to barber each other and is there anything I can do?

I don't think anyone has figured out why they do it - I suppose it might be something to do with liking the fur texture or maybe being bored but I doubt it to be honest. As for being able to do anything about it, some people have had luck giving their mice a bed or toy with a long pile furry type texture but not all mice will pull that apart instead!! I tied hay, beds, soft beds, fleece and a few other things for mine but had no luck. One of my girls totally defurred her sister!! Poor Truly ended up completely hairless because of her sister Scrumptious barbered her all over.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Gosh I will keep a close eye on her. Thank you for your help. I have herd of barbering but never experienced it. If it is that but from the sounds of it its looking that way.
    Nicky said:

Gosh I will keep a close eye on her. Thank you for your help. I have herd of barbering but never experienced it. If it is that but from the sounds of it its looking that way.

It does sound that way - I think there are two ways to rule it out. One would be to treat them for the other things it could be and the other is to keep an eye on them and try to catch them in the act. If it is there is little you can do, but for the most part it's not something that seems to bother them :)

I managed to find my photos of Truly to let you see what her sister's severe barbering did to her:

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Good grief that's some hair style her sister gave her. I will keep a very closer eye on them and treat her if it does not seem to be clearing up I think.
    Nicky said:

Good grief that's some hair style her sister gave her. I will keep a very closer eye on them and treat her if it does not seem to be clearing up I think.

Yeah it was a bad hair style wasn't it :P