Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

New Additions

zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
edited December 2015 in Galleries
There have been several new additions this year and I haven't introduced any of them on here yet (well, except Norma, but I'll introduce her properly again now!!) So I thought you might appreciate a bit of photo spam :D >:D< Not all the new additions had a long life, so I am going to concentrate on those that are here right now :)

First off - Norma. Norma was in the Pets At Home adoption centre near me and had been handed in at a year old because the owner "couldn't look after her anymore." She's a lovely ham but a bit neurotic and doesn't believe in not getting her own way :P

Then there is Mercury. I collected Mercury from a breeder during the summer with the intentions of him keeping another male company but Mercury has taken some time to mellow!! He's been neutered and finally settled down enough for me to put him in with little Fozzie (one of the little males I got from Baggymousers :) ) He is a huge, smoochy boy who wants out every night for a cheek rub :) I'm convinced there may be something other than his being neutered that's led to his weight gain but he seems ok.

And this is Aladdin. I'd went into a pet shop a few towns over to have look att he tropical fish and was about to walk out in disgust when my mum shouted that I'd missed something. I went to look and she pointed out a mouse in the tiniest cage I have ever seen (not much bigger than an egg box) in a dark corner on top of, next to, in front of and basically surrounded by all the dangerous reptiles in the shop. The poor mouse was terrified, had no room to move and there were numerous bars of this so called cage with blood spattered on them (possibly from trying to escape I'm hoping and not anything else.) The pet shop owner commented on the mouse being part of what he was using to breed snake food in the back of the shop and any of the "pretty" ones he tried to sell. if they didn't sell they went back for snake food. I know, people see me coming. So he ended up coming home. It's taken almost 6 months of him being so terrified that he would attack anything near his cage or anything new put in it, but he now comes up to the bars and rests two paws on me to get a little sunflower seed :) He's a gorgeous boy - and he has absynian rosettes on his bum :)
Then there is Flump - who I blame entirely on Racingmouse :P (Sorry April!!) A member of hamstercentral had taken on two hamsters that had been dumped on a neighbours doorstep by a child that was "bored" of them. The poor hamsters had been badly treated (taken out and forced to "play" with other hamsters, carried around in pockets to use as toys at friends houses) and although the member was able to take them in she was only able to keep one hamster. I took on Flump - she was a very nippy, unhappy little devil ham. It took time but eventually she let me pick her up with a glove and was fine for handling out the cage...by which time I discovered that "she" was actually a "he!" Flump still wont allow me to handle him in his cage but he is fine outside of it and actually enjoys a cuddle now. He has however been having a lot of problems with abscesses around his scent gland lately.

Then there are my newest additions, of which there are many. I made the mistake of looking on gumtree to try and find  a female mouse or two to go in with one of my girl groups that has been struggling with losing a lot of their family members from tumours lately. I came across an advert and contaced the person, only to find they were a feeder breeder (she was actually really nice and for all I don't like why she was breeding the mice were kept in immaculately clean conditions with some toys, so I was quite impressed given the conditions I've seen in other feeder breeders set ups.) She had an empty freezer, and too many mice so was selling her "surplus" as pets. These are the mice I ended up taking (and I took on wayyyyy too many. And there will be another thread about them soon too :( )

So here are the boys:

Huey:

Dewey (top) and Louie (bottom)

Ricicle:

Crackle:

Snap:

The girls:
Selina:

Peep (a little reverse Siamese :) Her nose, edge of her bum and edges of her legs turn white :\"> )

Turvy (she's really ill with a bad RI and is on baytril just now :( )

Topsy:

And these girls are the youngest of the ones I took away - they are all under 9 weeks old.
Winter:

Fuzz (despite her age I've had to put her on baytril, she's been seriously ill since she arrived on Saturday and I thought I was going to lose her.)

Copper:

Ebony:

Molly:

Pebbles:

And an unnamed girl:

And the last of the new additions. This is Sylvester. I'd been walking past the hamster cages in PAH on Wednesday just before they closed and saw a really deformed little hamster with a domed head, shortened nose, and a strangely positioned eye. I couldn't face another heartbreak but decided that if Kat (who ran Scritches Rescue and breeds hams and mice under the name Doric) said that there were likely to be health issues and it wasn't just appearance then I would get him. She said there was a high risk of problems so I phoned the shop and asked him to put him aside until I could get down on Christmas Eve. I went down...and it turned out it was the wrong hamster :( The hamster I'd seen had been sold literally while I was being served at the checkout. I felt guilty about asking the staff member I knew to put him aside as they aren't supposed to and knew they had no cage for him now he'd been separated so ended up taking him. And he's been an amazing sweet, confident little ham who has (so far) been very calm and within 24 hours was climbing into my hand and wanting cuddles :)

So those are the new additions...so far...!! I hope I haven't bored you all to tears :P

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    They're adorable, I'm in love with Mercury and Fuzz (I haven't had a fuzzy mouse yet).
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse

Just the tonic I needed! Great to see all the newbies Roz and they are all guaranteed a decent life now and that`s all that matters. Mercury looks half rat!!! What a bug lad he is! And Awww...wee Flumpsie! :\"> Great to see the cheeky monkey! Another little life saved from an unknown fate. And yes...I had to stick my nose in when I saw the post on HC. No doubt I could have ended up with him but ehem....you were closer!

Your new mousies are all lovely, albeit a little on the skinny side but n doubt with the better diet they will have that will soon change! And I know you had some pregnancy concerns with a few of them so looking forward to updates on that.

Sylvester is just too cute! It was meant to be. x

• NickyNicky Mouse
    I'm glad am not the only one who finds it hard to walk away lol but your newbies are all lovely. Mercury a real stunner I had to read the post twice about him as I was not sure he was a mouse at first :-* . I dare not look on free adds at the moment as because Christmas is over people will start getting bored of their new little ones and start to get rid of them. :(
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Do my eyes deceive me or does Pebbles look like a brindle or a variation of it? x
    Wow! And people say I don't do things by halves... You clearly don't either :D They're all adorable
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    AnnB said:

They're adorable, I'm in love with Mercury and Fuzz (I haven't had a fuzzy mouse yet).

Thank you :) I hadn't had a fuzzy mouse before either - Fuzz is my first :) And Mercury is my favourite, he just loves getting cuddles :\">

Just the tonic I needed! Great to see all the newbies Roz and they are all guaranteed a decent life now and that`s all that matters. Mercury looks half rat!!! What a bug lad he is! And Awww...wee Flumpsie! :\"> Great to see the cheeky monkey! Another little life saved from an unknown fate. And yes...I had to stick my nose in when I saw the post on HC. No doubt I could have ended up with him but ehem....you were closer!

Your new mousies are all lovely, albeit a little on the skinny side but n doubt with the better diet they will have that will soon change! And I know you had some pregnancy concerns with a few of them so looking forward to updates on that.

Sylvester is just too cute! It was meant to be. x

Yes, Mercury is big :( Really, really big :( There are no obvious signs something is wrong but I do think there might be as his weight just started piling on :(

And the new mousies are a bit skinny, but Fuzz is the worst. I'm hoping that clearing her of the RI might help.

As for the updates you were looking for, you might want to look in the breeding section :P
    Nicky said:

I'm glad am not the only one who finds it hard to walk away lol but your newbies are all lovely. Mercury a real stunner I had to read the post twice about him as I was not sure he was a mouse at first :-* . I dare not look on free adds at the moment as because Christmas is over people will start getting bored of their new little ones and start to get rid of them. :(

We are gluttons for punishment aren't we :P I've ended up having to add gumtree and preloved to my list of banned websites on my internet browser  as I know it would be hard to resist them otherwise :(

And yes, Mercury is huge and has more of a chubby hamster's blob like shape doesn't he?

Do my eyes deceive me or does Pebbles look like a brindle or a variation of it? x

She's a splashed mouse :) She is very pretty :)