Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

So about those new additions...

Well it looks like some of my new additions will be having new additions of there own!! I could cry, I really could, but look:

Molly:

Copper (excuse the blur)

Pebbles:

And Winter (again, excuse the blur):

They are four of the youngest of the girls from the feeder breeder :( I suppose it's a good job that Laura gives me a bulk neutering discount :( I think I'm going to need it!! Do you think I will be ok leaving the girls in the cage with their friends - there are seven of them in total in the cage and they get very anxious being separated :( I haven't increased their protein intake because I know that increasing it too much can lead to problems, especially with them being so young, but I have been giving them a lot more food and they are choosing what they want from that (which seems to naturally be some of the higher protein foods like the sunflower seeds.) I was at my limit taking on these mice, which I shouldn't really have done but I'm such a soft touch and now I'm going to end up with goodness knows how many more!!!

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Oh my word, what a lot of mice you're going to have. Lets hope they have small litters, both for their sake and yours.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Flipping heck! I would have kittens (excuse the pun) am terrible at sexing rodents. All the best and as Ann says I will cross my fingers for small litters.
    Oh no :( I'm really sorry you've got pregnancies as well! I'll keep my fingers crossed for small litters... At least girls generally live well together I guess... Will you be planning to keep all the pups? (I'm guessing yes from the neutering comment but figure its worth checking)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    AnnB said:

Oh my word, what a lot of mice you're going to have. Lets hope they have small litters, both for their sake and yours.

Thanks Ann. It's going to be a population explosion :( I'm not 100% sure that the last three mice are pregnant, but their bellies are all quite low and rounded underneath, and with all of them having plucked the fur around their nipples I'm guessing they are :( I'm still praying that they are just being gutsy.
    Nicky said:

Flipping heck! I would have kittens (excuse the pun) am terrible at sexing rodents. All the best and as Ann says I will cross my fingers for small litters.

I've had more than a few meltdowns since I noticed them all getting rounder :-* And thanks for keeping your fingers crossed.

Oh no :( I'm really sorry you've got pregnancies as well! I'll keep my fingers crossed for small litters... At least girls generally live well together I guess... Will you be planning to keep all the pups? (I'm guessing yes from the neutering comment but figure its worth checking)

Yes, I'll be keeping them all. It's going to be a bit of a struggle but I think I've got it worked out. I had considered taking them to a rescue but I know I'd feel guilty doing that and it's not the babies fault that I'm in this position. Their cages won't be great but I figure that if I can get the boys neutered I could split boys and girls up to maybe one or two groups of each depending on numbers and to make it easier to get through all the cage cleaning I'm going to fill most of the cages with boxes so I can just toss the majority of the cage contents and refill them.

As scary a thought as this is, I'm looking forward to having babies that I will know about and be able to get in and handle :-* Most of the babies are quite jumpy just now, but Molly is very friendly so I'm hoping her personality rubs off on them all :)
    I'm glad you think you've got it worked out. I understand why you wouldn't take pups to a rescue and its always difficult to rehome privately. I hope you can get the boys neutered and keep them as one or two groups, it sounds like you've got things as well planned as you could hope for :)

Its great you should be able to get the pups nice and friendly :D
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    When all is said and done Roz it sounds to me as though you have a plan and it will just be the male babies you will be concentrating on really as all the baby girls can stay together. So if the baby boys will all be going to visit Laura when the time comes, that should solve the issues of them being able to either live together, or with the girls in smaller groups. Happy days! x
    WE HAVE NEW YEAR'S DAY BABIES :D

I don't know how many yet, and Molly and the gang are being very protective of the nest so I'm going to wait until the babies have fur before checking :)

As for the other girls, there are still 4 with slightly round bellies. I'm a bit concerned as I thought they would be showing more by now, unless they are very, very small litters (fingers crossed!!) I'm also really worried about Pebbles - Pebbles is the youngest of the girls who is pregnant (she is just 6 weeks old and is tiny.) She's getting rounder, but she is very frail :( I can feel her spine and tail bones very clearly despite putting in loads of food. I've been providing baby porridge and mealworms to try and encourage her to eat more, but I think that the pregnancy is too much for her :( She's on baytril as well as she took a very bad turn two nights ago. She was out, looking very lethargic and the next minute totally slumped over, eyes half shut, not moving and struggling to breathe. I know that baytril isn't suitable for pregnant mice but Pebbles is my priority just now and I'm just hoping that she pulls through and doesn't give up :( I think the pregnancy is taking too much out of her :(
    Oh wow, new years day pups are awesome! I'm sorry Pebbles is so frail though and I really hope she makes it through whatevers wrong with her at the moment :(

So pleased the first of the babies are here Roz but sad to hear Pebbles isn`t good. Your doing the right thing though by putting her health first. If she has any babies or you find she`s passed on, at least you will have done everything you could, but I`m hoping that won`t be the case. These mice probably have those built-in skills coming from a feeder background so it might be the case of let them be and let them handle things. Can`t wait to hear more about them though and how many babies eventually appear! x

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    New Year babies, that's wonderful. Fingers crossed for Pebbles and the other potentially pregnant girls though. It's not an ideal situation but they couldn't be in better hands.
  • CritteryCrittery Overlord
    Glad to hear they've started arriving safely, and fingers crossed for the rest and small litters!
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Hope all goes well and I really hope Pebbles is OK.
    Thanks everyone. Molly is being very attentive to the babies and she's actually been letting everyone else back into the big nest (she kicked them out yesterday :P ) so it looks good. I haven't seen babies yet and won't go near them until they have fur just with some of the other girls being a bit jumpy but I can hear healthy little lungs squeaking out in protest :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Pebbles too, I shouldn't have favourites but she's a very sweet little mouse :( I'm just hoping that if she is pregnant that she only has one or two and that maybe Molly will adopt them as Pebbles needs to concentrate on herself :(
  • NuttySianNuttySian Mouse
    Oops but yay for babies!

Really hope Pebbles perks up x
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
    Update: no more babies so far, but Pebbles and Ebony are still a little rounder than normal so I'm not sure. Saturday will be three weeks with me, so I'm hoping that if there are none by Monday next week that the girls are just enjoying their food. Pebbles has been putting on weight and I can no longer feel her spine, but her tail bones are still showing and she's still not right :(

I had my first peek at Molly's babies today - I was going to wait until they were 7 days old as some of her sisters were so jumpy, but I was a bit concerned as there have been some blood spotted bits of bedding making their way out of the nest since Sunday night. Not much, but enough to worry. So there are a lot less babies than I was expecting which is making me think that Molly and her sisters have culled some :( But, on the bright side, the three babies that I saw are HUGE!! Absolutely massive, and very healthy looking. They are only four days old but they are as big - if not bigger - than some of the past babies I've had when they have been a week old. Come Friday I'm going in to start handling them :)
    I'm glad there've been no more babies so far but fingers crossed for Pebbles and Ebony just eating that bit too much instead of planning on popping out pups of their own soon...

I'm sorry that it looks like some pups have been culled :( Its great that the pups you saw are looking so healthy though. I hope they grow up well for you :)

I'm glad there've been no more babies so far but fingers crossed for Pebbles and Ebony just eating that bit too much instead of planning on popping out pups of their own soon...

I'm sorry that it looks like some pups have been culled :( Its great that the pups you saw are looking so healthy though. I hope they grow up well for you :)

I'm actually wondering if they have been pregnant but have reabsorbed the litters. It would explain two of them falling really ill and then perking up just a day or two later. I'm hoping that is the case with Pebbles especially, as she still seems really frail.

And thank you for the well wishes for the babies :) I'm hoping to have photos soon :D
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 529
    I did think that... Just didn't really want to suggest it. I do hope its the case and that Pebbles is just doing her best to gain weight so she can stop worrying you. Will keep my fingers crossed for the girls and look forward to when you get and share some pup photos :)
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I do hope you won't get any more than the three babies, fingers crossed that the other girls continue to improve without giving birth.
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
    The mice seem to be coping well enough and I`m pleased you only have three `large` babies so far! The blood is worrying Roz but not unusual. Fingers crossed for them all. x
    Thanked by 1zany_toon

The mice seem to be coping well enough and I`m pleased you only have three `large` babies so far! The blood is worrying Roz but not unusual. Fingers crossed for them all. x

It's only the second time I've seen blood April out of the several accidental litters I've had. The only other one i saw it with was with Ariel when it looked like her babies had been still born - there was blood soaked bedding and not a baby in sight :( Every other litter has been absolutely spotless.

Anyway, Pebbles is still looking a little oddly shaped. She is slightly rounder than she should be but not developing the pear shape that she should have by now based on the time line I worked out. I'll just need to wait and see if there is anything by the middle/end of next week incase she is carrying babies for a little longer than expected. If there is nothing I will get her up to the vet.

Andddddd...............BABY PHOTO :D I managed to sneak a peek for a photo again and a little stroke of them :) There are two huge ones, and one normal sized baby. All look very healthy but mum/aunties have been a bit vigorous in their cleaning - and have chomped off the toes on one baby's back foot :( He seems ok. As far as i can see it looks like there are two boys, I couldn't check the third baby as the aunties were getting anxious but as you can see by the fat milk band on the baby doing the dance moves at the back they are all doing well :) And they are all blue foxes like their mama :D
    edited January 2016 Posts: 1,280
    Lovely bubs there Roz. They will grow so fast they will be pinging about in no time! Shame about the wee ones toes though. x
    Thanked by 1zany_toon

Lovely bubs there Roz. They will grow so fast they will be pinging about in no time! Shame about the wee ones toes though. x

They can already ping - I had one in my hand last night and he pinged right out my hand, four inches across my legs and just missed landing on the floor!!

But anyway - baby spam :D

The baby on my knee is the bouncer. This was taken last night:

These photos are from tonight. There are only two babies shown though has Molly grabbed one as I was taking photos :P You can see the size difference in this one - the smaller baby is the same size as the babies I've had in the past, the other one is larger and his sibling is the same size.

Those teeny little dark specs on their hair are where mum and their aunties have been dragging them about:

You can see the little one's bad foot in this photo on the back right. I'm not sure looking at it now if the toes have been completed chewed off as the foot looks the same length? Maybe it's a deformity as I can see little bumps where toes should be, or maybe the ends of the toes have been chewed off? What do you all think?

"That's my baby!! Give it back!!" Molly comes out to check up on what I'm doing :) (You can see the little back foot again without the toes.)

It looks like it might be three little boys I have, but I only had a really quick glance before Molly nipped me and grabbed the babies (she's not normally a nipper but I had already disturbed her and her nest three times today to spend a minute with the babies :-*  )

And in other news, Pebbles still looks a little round :) I had a gentle feel last night and there is definitely something there, but tomorrow is three weeks since she had any chance of being in with a male as she arrived here. I do think that there might be a baby, but if there is only one, and with how small Pebbles is I don't know if she will have it, if it will survive or if Molly might be able to foster it :( I'm just waiting to see now :(

edited January 2016 Posts: 1,280

So sweet. It does look like a deformity Roz but really difficult to say one way or the other whether the toes have been chewed off. I imagine if they were the tissue would show some redness still or signs of a wound? Hopefully the little munchkin will manage fine all the same.

I think you have just named `Bouncer` yourself! Can`t wait to see them once their eyes have opened. x

Thanked by 1zany_toon
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Squee, baby pics.
     Have you considered that perhaps Pebbles isn't pregnant but has something wrong internally? 

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

Thanked by 1zany_toon
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    They're such beautiful babies. I guess you'll probably never know for sure if that's a deformity or chewed toes but the sign of blood and the rather overprotective mum would lead me to wonder whether it's the latter.
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
    Kawaii said:

Squee, baby pics.

Have you considered that perhaps Pebbles isn't pregnant but has something wrong internally? 
    Thank you :) And yes, I did consider that for Pebbles but the way she is acting now doesn't seem to match up with the only thing I know of that would cause her to be so round that isn't pregnancy - a tumour. She is improving and looking healthier, putting on weight, eating, drinking, I can no longer feel the bones in her spine or tail. I'm really at a loss if it isn't a pregnancy, but if there are no babies by the middle of the week we will be going up for a vet visit :)
    AnnB said:

They're such beautiful babies. I guess you'll probably never know for sure if that's a deformity or chewed toes but the sign of blood and the rather overprotective mum would lead me to wonder whether it's the latter.

That's what i had thought originally Ann, until i could zoom in on the photo and have a better look tonight. I can clearly see the markings that should show three separate toes but they don't seem to "separate." It's almost as if the skin is joined together in these areas. I wondered though if it could be a deformity further down the foot and mum has chewed off the top edge where the claws should be. It would fit in with the little bits of blood and what I'm seeing now. I had a breeder have a look at the photo and from what she could see of the little one as well she was leaning more towards a deformity causing what I'm seeing just now. I don't suppose it matters though, he's healthy, with big lungs and a strong rabbit-like ability to bounce across the cage X(
    How is Pebbles doing now?

I'm glad the little lad with a possible deformity is doing well :)

How is Pebbles doing now?

I'm glad the little lad with a possible deformity is doing well :)

Sorry for the lack of reply or presence this week, I've been struggling with migraines all week so had to really limit time on the computer :(

Anyway, Pebbles is doing fine now :D Turns out she was a little bit addicted tot he crispbread and egg biscuits that were being put in for Molly - little monster was stuffing herself full of it before anyone else had a chance :P So it looks like what I was feeling in her abdomen was the treats that were supposed to be for 7 mice #:-S X(

It looks like there may be two girls and one boy, but Molly is really limiting how long I'm allowed to handle the babies :-*They are doing really well though - I will upload photos tomorrow :D Their eyes were open on day 13, and at day 14 they were already heading out of the nest to go exploring!! Molly and I are going to have our paws and hands (respectively) full!!
    Really pleased to hear only the three babies arrived Roz and that two of them seem to be female, which is good news. Their personalities sound lovely too. I`m also pleased to hear Pebbles is faring better. x
    Thanked by 1zany_toon