Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Hola!

Hola, fellow rodent lovers. I'm new; basically just here to talk with some like-minded people and, most of all, LEARN! Also my username means 'cute' in Japanese because if you look at the photos....yeah. THEY ARE SO ADORABLY CUTE.
One day I want to breed Winter White Russian Dwarf hamsters and would like to run my own small mammal/rodent rescue.  I know a fair bit about hammy genetics because of this.

My current rodenty friends are:
Prince Snow, six month old male Syrian hamster. (Pale eared white) image
Princess Jane, eight month old sapphire female Russian Dwarf Hybrid hamster image
Paddy,11 month old male mosaic chinchilla image
Ash, 11 month old homozygous beige chinchilla image

And other animals are 3 horses, 3 dogs, 1 cat, 3 tortoises, 1 rabbit, 1 fish and one locust. The mad menagerie says hi!

I would quite like to adopt a duprasi and possibly a pair of african pygmy dormice but was wondering about affordable housing solutions? Would a sturdy bin cage or large commercial cage (eg the zoozone large which is 101 x 51 x 22 cm) be okay for a duprasi or do they chew too much for that? Aquariums are so expensive.
Also another random pet aspiration I have is to own  some patagonian maras! They're related to guinea pigs and look like a cross between a muntjack deer and a cavy, and are the third largest rodent in the world. They are GORGEOUS!!!!! A capybara would be cool too, but I don't know if they're legal in the UK.

So, hi I guess lol. Sorry for the essay. I can talk for days about my animals lol. 

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

Comments

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Hello and welcome :-h your animals are lovely. Can I ask how you came to own a locust as a pet? As I didn't realise people kept them as pets :D although I do think they are sweet looking.
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Nicky said:

Hello and welcome :-h your animals are lovely. Can I ask how you came to own a locust as a pet? As I didn't realise people kept them as pets :D although I do think they are sweet looking.

They were being sold as livefood  but as a vegetarian I really didn't like the idea of that so brought them home! They're only "supposed" to live 5 months but Billy lived seven and got to be almost tame believe it or not. It's almost an experiment actually which sounds cruel -  but I mean into how habitat size affects lifespan and stuff like that. 

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Aww its nice that they were able to have a nice life. I often see them in thee reptile tanks in our local reptile shop and feel sorry for them.
    Thanked by 1MrJengals13
  • MrJengals13MrJengals13 Lemming

I agree with Nicky.

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

Welcome to the forum Kawaii, your little rodent friends are adorable.

Hopefully Crittery will be able to give you some advice on housing for a Duprasi. I quite like Maras too although it's Wallabies I'd really love to keep one day.

• CritteryCrittery Overlord
    Hallo and welcome!

Duprasi wise, the size would be alright but they'd easily chew through if they wanted to I'm afraid! Aqauriums are expensive but tanks often crop up on free sites such as freegle or fairly cheaply elsewhere without lids. You can make your own with some wood, mesh and a staple gun fairly easily.

African Pygmy Dormice are fantastic, but hugely messy. They are the worst for poo/wood/smell that I've owned so far, together with Hedgehogs.
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
  • CritteryCrittery Overlord
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
    Welcome to the forum, your pets look lovely :)
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Welcome to the forum :) Your pets are gorgeous :) I'm looking forward to hearing more about them :)