Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

KAYTEE mouse rat and hamster food problem

Hi guys! Mr.Jangals13 here and I have I minor problem. in this katee food, there's like these green and blue things. They leave stains when they poop. and WHY THE HECK DOES THIS HAVE ARTIFICIAL FOOD COLURING?!?!? Is This Okay?

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I don't have any experience of that type of food but I would hope that whatever food colouring they use, it is safe.
  • MrJengals13MrJengals13 Lemming

alright. thanks AnnB!

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    edited December 2015 Posts: 1,243
    MrJengals13, the analysis on the bag will sometimes state what the colourings are but may sometimes just quote E numbers or say `no artificial` colourings added. Mice love small grains and seeds, so buying a pre-weighed bag of millet seed sold for caged birds like canaries can be mixed with your other food if it doesn`t contain various millets. The ingredients list on the bag will state what grains are included. x

I have those but my mother told me that if I fed them that for there main food, they will get fat.

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    It depends what the fat/oil content is in the % of your main food? It`s true that millet contains oils, but generally, mice have fast metabolism. Adding a small teaspoonful for a group of mice won`t be detrimental to their intake of oils. And they don`t need to have the millet every day, just as a treat a few times a week. x

thanks racingmouse!