Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Duprasi environment questions

This discussion was created from comments split from: Hola!.
crittery.co.uk
Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk

Comments

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Crittery said:

Hallo and welcome!

Duprasi wise, the size would be alright but they'd easily chew through if they wanted to I'm afraid! Aqauriums are expensive but tanks often crop up on free sites such as freegle or fairly cheaply elsewhere without lids. You can make your own with some wood, mesh and a staple gun fairly easily.

African Pygmy Dormice are fantastic, but hugely messy. They are the worst for poo/wood/smell that I've owned so far, together with Hedgehogs.

I'll have a look on preloved or something, thank you!!
    And my rabbit and guinea pig are basically 100% freerange so I'm quite used to lots of mess (lol).

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    edited December 2015 Posts: 255

(chins for the win!)

• yoonicornyoonicorn Lemming
    Your pets are gorgeous!
    I used to have a doop, but unfortunately he passed away in the summer. He needed a big cage! I eventually settled on a 45 gallon bin cage, although I was going to move him into a detolf had he lived a bit longer. I think a detolf might have been a good option for him, but seeing as he was determined to disobey every rule in the 'how to be a duprasi' book, that might not be good for all of them.
    A lot of people suggest trying to get extra protein into their diets, so if you have a problem with feeding inverts, maybe think about that as well..? :)
  • CritteryCrittery Overlord
    I've tried the Monkfield for a duprasi actually, and she chewed the vents! Ideally you'd want it a bit taller as well, and the opening of the (heavy) lid is a bit scary for a prey animal.

The first one is interesting, do the wooden bits remove? I like Exo-terras but they do have the plastic at the front which can be an excape risk - both duprasi's and mouse-like hamsters have had a go at that from my lot :/
    crittery.co.uk

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    edited December 2015 Posts: 255
    hmm......I don't know about the wooden bits coming off....I'm sure they do, they look like the ledges I bought for my chinchilla cage.Also I found these 2 near me: https://www.gumtree.com/p/pet-equipment-accessories/fish-tank-54-l/1145437350

And Yoonicorn would meal worms or chicken/tofu be ok for a doop's protein? I have used those for hamsters before and the mealworms especially were a big hit. I just can't do live food (am fine with gore and blod but not deliberate killing.

(chins for the win!)

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Also for diet i was thinking burgess dwarf hamster mix (high protein), maybe a bit of the crumbled alfalfa i give my chinchillas as a once-in-a-while treat, stuff like broccoli only say once or twice a week and single dog biscuit split into pieces and fed as a treat maybe every other day(?) and dried mealworms daily alongside the dwarf hamster mix.

(chins for the win!)

It sounds like you've already given the diet some good thought! Just thought it deserved a mention as it can be a bit of a pain being veggie and wanting to give the animals something meaty, although I'm quite lucky as my family are all meat eaters so I can easily do a bit of scrounging. :P
    I personally think all of the cages look small. All of them are below the RSPCA minimum guidelines for a lazy Syrian hamster, and you'd be lucky to fit a wheel in any of them.
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    I've found an aquarium which is 3 foot long and £20, very tempted. If it's still available when I'm done having the new floor laid in my rodent room (aka my bedroom ha) I will definitely go with that. With the big one there's nowhere to store it whilst reorganising my bedroom....I'll wait till the reorganisation's done and go for a 3 foot long setup, even if it's not the same one.But there are loads of 3, 4, even 5 foot tanks going for very little on the internet.
     I thought a smaller tank would be okay, but as that is not the case, I will wait.I don't mind, I just want to get things right. :)

(chins for the win!)

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Also would carefresh make an okay substrate with chinchilla sand for bathing/rolling in? And can duprasi get respiratory infections from shavings like this......? because i was thinking of  transferring my hammys back onto these (then everyone would be on them). they aren't really dusty or anything.
    And would Lolo  chinchilla sand be okay? (I use it for my dwarf hamster).

(chins for the win!)

• edited January 2016 Posts: 529
    The 3ft tank sounds like it'd be a very similar size to the perfecto tortoise tank that our Dina lives in. Just from my experience with Dina I'd be reluctant to go bigger than 3ft for a duprasi, I'm sure Dina wouldn't like a bigger cage and I'm sure her parents didn't have (or want) cages bigger than that either. I'm not convinced smaller would be a bad thing (the first one you linked on ebay wasn't 3ft after all) but cage size is always a well debated subject between people so its often just personal opinion in the end.

To be honest if Dina didn't have as much privacy as she does I think she'd probably need a smaller tank. We had to cover the back and sides of her tank with black paper to make the tank more private, now its in a quiet and relatively shaded corner that kinda creates the same effect. She's happy where she is but I really don't think us getting a smaller tank would've done her any harm.
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    edited January 2016 Posts: 255

(chins for the win!)

Are you looking local or are these just examples? If so, I'm an Oxfordshire person too :)
    crittery.co.uk

The honest answer is that I don't know. I really struggle with deciding on a single definite cage for an animal I've not met because I know every individual is different and they'll all have slightly different personalities. It depends really. Could you maybe get the bigger one and be prepared to section part of it off if your duprasi preferred smaller or something?
    I tend to cheat nowadays, I have so many cages/tanks e.t.c that I can usually move my pets into bigger/smaller as needed once I get to know them.
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Crittery said:

Are you looking local or are these just examples? If so, I'm an Oxfordshire person too :)

looking local! The reason I want a duprasi is because of your website and the video of "George the foster duprasi" on your youtube channel! (Was incredibly disappointed when I realised you weren't currently taking in rescues, because I much prefer going from a rescue than a breeder but RSPCA and Bluecross etc don't really cater to rodents. They don't even know what they're doing with hamsters lol.)

(chins for the win!)

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    edited January 2016 Posts: 255

The honest answer is that I don't know. I really struggle with deciding on a single definite cage for an animal I've not met because I know every individual is different and they'll all have slightly different personalities. It depends really. Could you maybe get the bigger one and be prepared to section part of it off if your duprasi preferred smaller or something?
    I tend to cheat nowadays, I have so many cages/tanks e.t.c that I can usually move my pets into bigger/smaller as needed once I get to know them.

Yeah, okay....in fairness I do that anyway e.g., my hamster has a much much smaller cage than she 'should' (only 409 square inches) because she doesn't like big open spaces and prefers burrowing. :) :P In my experience a lot of so-called minimums for hamsters and similar sized animals are way too big for an animal designed to only come up above ground every so often.

(chins for the win!)

Kawaii said:

Crittery said:

looking local! The reason I want a duprasi is because of your website and the video of "George the foster duprasi" on your youtube channel! (Was incredibly disappointed when I realised you weren't currently taking in rescues, because I much prefer going from a rescue than a breeder but RSPCA and Bluecross etc don't really cater to rodents. They don't even know what they're doing with hamsters lol.)

Ah may have spoken to you via FB then? :)

Trust me, if I can get Crittery up and running again in that sense you'll all be the first to know!! Been trying for a very long time now.

There's a fair amount of people breeding Duprasi but I don't see them crop up in rescue very often. That's quite a good thing, in one respect. If I notice anything I'll let you know :)
    crittery.co.uk

• NuttySianNuttySian Mouse
    edited January 2016 Posts: 214
    Kawaii said:

Crittery said:

Another Oxfordshire person here too! Yay, we're taking over hahaha.

Burford Blue Cross does rodents and have been great with the ones I've had from them. I haven't seen any doops on there though, would have been tempted myself if I had lol.
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    NuttySian said:

Kawaii said:

Crittery said:

NuttySian said:

Kawaii said:

Crittery said:

Another Oxfordshire person here too! Yay, we're taking over hahaha.

Burford Blue Cross does rodents and have been great with the ones I've had from them. I haven't seen any doops on there though, would have been tempted myself if I had lol.
    Yeah, I've never seen anything other than hamsters and chinchillas though, but the chins are always in bad cages that are small....big animal rescues  don't tend to cater to more "exotic" species unfortunately, though there's plenty out there needing help.
    Crittery said:

Kawaii said:

Crittery said:

Ah may have spoken to you via FB then? :)

Trust me, if I can get Crittery up and running again in that sense you'll all be the first to know!! Been trying for a very long time now.

There's a fair amount of people breeding Duprasi but I don't see them crop up in rescue very often. That's quite a good thing, in one respect. If I notice anything I'll let you know :)
    Yup! :D 
    And yeah - it's nice there are none currently without loving homes. :P 
    Thanks.

(chins for the win!)

Kawaii said:

Yeah, I've never seen anything other than hamsters and chinchillas though, but the chins are always in bad cages that are small....big animal rescues  don't tend to cater to more "exotic" species unfortunately, though there's plenty out there needing help.

Ah, I've only seen the chins online, didn't see them in the branch. That's a shame.

It seems to change quite often (I look at the site way too much lol), sometimes I only see the "main" things - cats, dogs, horses, rabbits, on there but at the moment there are those and chins, degus, gerbils, rats and guineas!
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    NuttySian said:

Ah, I've only seen the chins online, didn't see them in the branch. That's a shame.

It seems to change quite often (I look at the site way too much lol), sometimes I only see the "main" things - cats, dogs, horses, rabbits, on there but at the moment there are those and chins, degus, gerbils, rats and guineas! I blame Christmas! 
    :(( i blame Christmas....there's been 3 new hamsters added to RSPCA since 24/12/15...

(chins for the win!)

Okay... this is a little embarassing. I have a tank in my room right now and used it to scale the cages you posted and somehow got the measurements totally, horribly wrong when I converted from inches to cms, and then went even more wrong when I converted back. I know that the tank is about 20 gallons, so doing even more dodgy maths, I thought the ones you posted were about 5 gallons. (I was totally shocked that no one had pointed that out, hence why I tried to get some sort of reference guideline... although I also haven't totally abided by it in the past) That was a major brainfart moment for me and I'm really sorry. That'll teach me.  8-|
    I'm really sorry for my silly message! I still think the cage would have been too small for mine, but that's simply because (and I should have probably mentioned this in the first place) he was ridiculously aggressive and didn't get too much free range time as he was nocturnal, so most of his enrichment was from in the cage. From what I've heard, though, that's pretty uncommon.
    It's ok, we all have d'oh moments! X(
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    yoonicorn said:

Okay... this is a little embarassing. I have a tank in my room right now and used it to scale the cages you posted and somehow got the measurements totally, horribly wrong when I converted from inches to cms, and then went even more wrong when I converted back. I know that the tank is about 20 gallons, so doing even more dodgy maths, I thought the ones you posted were about 5 gallons. (I was totally shocked that no one had pointed that out, hence why I tried to get some sort of reference guideline... although I also haven't totally abided by it in the past) That was a major brainfart moment for me and I'm really sorry. That'll teach me.  8-|

I'm really sorry for my silly message! I still think the cage would have been too small for mine, but that's simply because (and I should have probably mentioned this in the first place) he was ridiculously aggressive and didn't get too much free range time as he was nocturnal, so most of his enrichment was from in the cage. From what I've heard, though, that's pretty uncommon.
    ahhh  lol no worries. that's quite amusing really. ;)
    >:D< 

(chins for the win!)

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    edited April 2016 Posts: 255
    Would 369 sq inches work for a duprasi?

I finally, FINALLY, have an aquarium. Sort of,  anyway - it's my brother's; he was using it for his fish, but it leaked everywhere. Lol. So now he's moved the fish into a bigger tank, and the 'little' tank  is empty. It is basically 370 sq inches...369.9 actually lol. :P 
    Not as big as I'd like, but someone I follow on Facebook was having problems with her doop being stressed in  a bigger environment. And I don't want that, obviously.

(chins for the win!)