Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Blanc, the goofy syrian

I've had Blanc for a while now and so far no one has been able to identify him. His mother is golden and his dad was a black dominant spot banded (or something)

He has silver grey siblings and some are the same as him. He is mostly white with 3 greyish patches. 2 near his ears and 1 on his bum. He also has ruby eyes.

Comments

• LeilyLeily Lemming
    Sorry, trying to find his picture atm!
    Sorry to be awkward but if one parent was golden and the other a patterned black then I don't think it should be possible to have silver grey in the litter. Silver grey is dominant so normally shows up in the parents, if Mum was golden she definetly won't have had the gene for it, I've just done a bit of searching and as far as I can tell Dad having the silver grey gene would affect his colour too. I've only managed to find two pics of hamsters with both black and silver grey but both are lighter than any black hamsters I've seen. Are you sure you've got all those colours right? I only ask because getting the parents and siblings colours right will help a lot in working out what genes your hamster is more/less likely to have, might be that makes it easier to figure out what colour he is. I look forward to seeing some photos once you find them though, its always interesting to see what colours hamsters are :)

Where did you get him?
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • LeilyLeily Lemming

Sorry to be awkward but if one parent was golden and the other a patterned black then I don't think it should be possible to have silver grey in the litter. Silver grey is dominant so normally shows up in the parents, if Mum was golden she definetly won't have had the gene for it, I've just done a bit of searching and as far as I can tell Dad having the silver grey gene would affect his colour too. I've only managed to find two pics of hamsters with both black and silver grey but both are lighter than any black hamsters I've seen. Are you sure you've got all those colours right? I only ask because getting the parents and siblings colours right will help a lot in working out what genes your hamster is more/less likely to have, might be that makes it easier to figure out what colour he is. I look forward to seeing some photos once you find them though, its always interesting to see what colours hamsters are :)

Where did you get him?

I know nothing about genes but I'll try to find all the pics for you. Here's Blanc:

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o570/leilyhaddad1/Mobile Uploads/2015-08/20150801_180747_zpsk5xsdwil.jpg

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o570/leilyhaddad1/Mobile Uploads/2015-08/IMG_20150801_154053_zpszrjausso.jpg

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o570/leilyhaddad1/Mobile Uploads/2015-08/20150823_210007_zpsekylw2ek.jpg

It literally looks like shadows in the pics lol.
    Shall try to find his siblings now.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I don't know a thing about genetics but I did want to say that he looks absolutely adorable.
  • yoonicornyoonicorn Lemming
    He's totally gorgeous! Can't be of any help but it looks like he's got some fans. :)
  • LeilyLeily Lemming
    Thanks! He is my handsome boy. He is the first male I've had in 7 years after my very first hamster died. I've had multiple fosters and multiple females in between though.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    He is one handsome chap.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 529
    You're right, any markings there do look like shadows! Haven't got a clue if he's not just white I'm afraid :( He does look lovely though
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Awwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!! They are gorgeous!!! Blanc especially, he looks like a little fluffy cloud :x
  • LeilyLeily Lemming
    He is! A soft, cuddly, fluffy cloud! Haha. I still can't figure out his colour
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    He's a dark eared white, likely carrying cinnamon (agouti) and banded.  Also likely  carrier of Wh which in homozygous form  is lethal....WhWh, dark bellied white I believe it's called? IDK.

This is only very amateur speculations. You can't tell an animal's genes from pictures, only tests and/or a complete pedigree showing at least 3 generations.

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• edited January 2016 Posts: 529
    He looks adorable :) As far as I can tell/guess from those pics Dad'll be where some of his siblings got the grey, he does look like the hamsters I found who're both black and silver grey (although that was a really, really small sample of two). I can't see his markings on those pics but since you think he has some, are his markings anything like the bits of grey on his grey siblings? My best guess at the moment is a really oddly patterned silver grey and that seems unlikely with how hard it is to see his patches.
    I only look at syrian genetics and colours as something I'm interested in, don't really have much experience with it beyond my own pets. To be honest if a hamster's something unusual I tend to accept we may never really know the colour. Some can be really bad examples of a colour, othertimes colours've been mixed that shouldn't have been and you get odd varieties that'd never make it to a show bench... Its complicated. I'd just call him white and whiteish/greyish/whatever-colour-his-patches-are and be done with it personally :P

Colours tend to be defined based on good show standards so hamsters from unknown backgrounds, oops litters e.t.c can easily never match any standard at all well which makes it difficult (or impossible) to really pin down what they are genetically. Just makes them more unique if you ask me :) Those pics are lovely anyway.

Kawaii - Wh is the white bellied gene, and yeah... WhWh is very bad news, one of the most obvious reasons that if you're breeding intentionally its good to know what you're doing :) Where did you get the cinnamon from? I can't see any signs to suggest cinnamon in the litter so would be interested to know where you got it from
  • LeilyLeily Lemming
    edited January 2016 Posts: 37
    Kawaii said:

He's a dark eared white, likely carrying cinnamon (agouti) and banded.  Also likely  carrier of Wh which in homozygous form  is lethal....WhWh, dark bellied white I believe it's called? IDK.

This is only very amateur speculations. You can't tell an animal's genes from pictures, only tests and/or a complete pedigree showing at least 3 generations.
    I would be very willing to accept the dark eared white if his grey paths weren't so glaring to the naked eye. Do dew have ruby eyes too?

kyrilliondaemon:

True! Is it possible he is a dominant spot banded red eyed silver grey? Is there such a thing? His dad only has colour on his head and bum (most of the colour is there at least) and that's also where Blanc's patches are.

The thing that really throws me off is the grey patches with the ruby eyes. It's not a typical combination, is it?
    Sorry about this reply being so late, I was really busy for a while.

Dominant spot, banded and colour are all independant of each other. If the parents had the genes for both banding and dom spot (you think Dad has both and Mum looks banded too) then given what looks like silver grey is in the litter, a dom spot banded silver grey would totally be possible.
    I have no idea if silver greys can have red eyes though I'm afraid. If they do it'd be from a combination of genes I'm not sure you'd ever see on the show bench. You can get red eyed ivory hamsters and red eyed ivory can come from silver grey, but then you'd get a pale greyish cream hamster rather than a silver grey one.
    I really would try and not worry to much about Blanc's colour to be honest, its really difficult to be absolutely sure of things when a hamster doesn't match a colour with a standard or have a pedigree with it.

(Oh and his ears look too light for him to be likely to be a dark eared white to me)
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    lol I have no idea if DEW can also have red eyes. I don't think so? But maybe :/ clueless on syrian genetics, hah.

It's soooo tough with hammies from oops litters and petshops/rescues isn't it!!!

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• NuttySianNuttySian Mouse
    edited January 2016 Posts: 214
    He's gorgeous, whatever his colour :)

Yes, DEW can have red eyes.
    Steve

I agree his ears don't look dark enough for a DEW, if he is a white then I'd say flesh eared white instead. But I honestly know zilch about genetics, I always ask other people lol.