Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

More Troublemakers

So a week past on Friday I collected another group of boys that I intend to get neutered and put in with Mercury and Krispie. I thought it was about time I introduced them all.

First off, here is the little troublemaker that went missing for almost two days. Given he is a tiny mouse with a big personality and a natural ability to cause trouble, the name Mr T seemed suitable:

And here is Mr T with Krispie and Merury. Mercury loves his new buddies (and I have a video but for some reason it won't upload :( ) but Krispie and Mr T haven't been getting on too well. It's looking like the two boys may end up with their own neutered group. Mr T, like Krispie, is too small to neuter.

This is Splish, a dark tri-coloured boy who is 6 weeks old:

And this is his brother Splash - who has a polydactyl foot  X(  His extra toe doesn't seem functional, but he isn't bothered by it:

I hope you can see his extra toe:

This is Twix, the oldest of the boys:

And here is the first of my two fuzzy boys - this is Lampchop :\">

And the final new boy, Bandit - a blue and white banded fuzzy :)

And just because I haven't updated on them in a while, here are the babies :)
This is Petal (the smaller girl)

This is Penny (as in half penny - this is the girl with half a set of toes :) ) Sorry it's not a good photo of her, she refuses to stay still!!

And this is itty bitty Krispie - with the equally itty bitty Mr T (who is on the left):

Comments

• SummergirlSummergirl Lemming
    They are all beautiful!!  I would love to have any one of them!
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

They're all gorgeous and I'm so pleased Mercury is enjoying the new company.

I've seen dogs with extra toes before but that's the first mouse I've seen.

Thanked by 1zany_toon
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Really beautiful. I have never seen a mouse (or any animal )with an extra toe.
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
    They're all adorable. I'm sorry Krispie and Mr T aren't managing to get along too well though
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Thanks everyone :)

Nicky, I was like you and hadn't seen an animal with an extra toe before. I'd heard of it, but never seen it first hand. So, Ann, I think that you have beaten us in terms of experience with animals with extra toes :P

Thanks for all the compliments though :) They are gorgeous boys, and so smooshy :x Unfortunately though Mr T had to be taken away from Krispie and Mercury this morning :( I felt terrible doing it as he was curled into Mercury, but Krispie had badly bitten Mr T's tail and I think it would have just escalated from there :( I decided on removing Mr T and not Krispie only because Krispie and Mercury had been in together for slightly longer. Still wasn't nice though :(
    I'm sorry Krispie and Mr T had to be separated in the end :( I hope he takes well to life on his own
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Aww sorry you had to split them.we had the same problem with Beatrix who decided to bite the end of Lily's tail off.

I'm sorry Krispie and Mr T had to be separated in the end :( I hope he takes well to life on his own

He really isn't coping well just now :( He is downright miserable :(  I've phoned the vet to ask about getting all the other entire boys that are big enough neutered so that hopefully Mr T can have his own little neutered group of friends. True to form though, the second I put down the phone three of the boys started sniffling and sneezing. They've done it twice to me already, I think they know what they are being booked in for!!

Nicky said:

Aww sorry you had to split them.we had the same problem with Beatrix who decided to bite the end of Lily's tail off.

That's what I was worried about Nicky :( With Mr T being so tiny it wouldn't have taken much for him to end up losing his tail, I'm just hoping that the bites aren't that bad and I got him out in time :(
    Poor little lad :( I'm really sorry the boys keep stopping you booking their surgery! Can't the non-sniffly boys get done while you wait for the others to stop being so sniffly?

I really hope the bites don't cost Mr T his tail. We had a mouse lose half of her tail to bites last summer and I'd not wish that on anyone. Mr T is young though, I'm sure he's up to healing his injuries without major trouble :) He clearly likes causing trouble, not suffering it :P

Poor little lad :( I'm really sorry the boys keep stopping you booking their surgery! Can't the non-sniffly boys get done while you wait for the others to stop being so sniffly?

I really hope the bites don't cost Mr T his tail. We had a mouse lose half of her tail to bites last summer and I'd not wish that on anyone. Mr T is young though, I'm sure he's up to healing his injuries without major trouble :) He clearly likes causing trouble, not suffering it :P

I'd hoped to get them all done at the same time as it works out cheaper  :-*  The vets are able to charge me for just one batch of whatever they order in instead of having to order in separate lots for each mouse, so the more mice I get neutered at a time the cheaper the cost is per mouse :-* That's quite sad isn't it :-* But yes, I'm looking at that option so I might get half of the boys done next week and the rest done when the sniffles are gone.

His tail has one or two bites that I'm worried about but I can't see any obvious signs that he might lose it - like you I've had a mouse lose part of a tail. It was horrid and I really worried about all the other problems it could cause because the bite was through to the bone.

I did get the impression that Mr T likes causing trouble :P Little monster has been up to no good even being in a cage on his own though - I've had to empty his cage twice today because he's drained his water bottle onto the bedding!!
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Awww I may have to mouse nap Mr T and little Krispie. They're all gorgeous little meecey munchkins  though.

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Sorry for my lateness to this thread Roz as I`ve been pre occupied with other daily living things and havn`t been paying too much attention when logging I of late! Love the photos and updates on the new boys and seeing the babies grow so much! What a shame the boys had to be split, but neutering them should get things up and running again. Hope all goes smoothly and you can get them paired again. x
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
    Thanks April. Unfortunately neither Mr T or Krispie can be neutered due to their size and the suspected liver shunts :( Laura was concerned that if it is a liver shunt that has caused their small size it will affect their ability to filter thins like anaesthetics out of their blood if they were operated on :( The other boys are all booked in for Monday though - I'm going to be a complete wreck as there are 10 going in :(

And in other bad news, Krispie is on his own. I had gone upstairs last night a little earlier than normal to get to bed and walked in to hear a horrendous racket and some really terrible squeals. I looked round to see that tiny Krispie had cornered Mercury into a cardboard pot and was relentlessly attacking him :( Mercury wasn't even trying to retaliate, he was just trying to hide :( Even pushing Krispie off to grab Mercury didn't seem to deter him. Poor Mercury has ended up with a wound to the base of his tail and a really bad wound to his foot where Krispie has tore off a chunk of skin and exposed a lot of muscle and tendons :( Needless to say Krispie has been banished a tiny little Critter Keeper (which is all that I have spare just now.) Mercury is so miserable and confused - he genuinely looked upset that his new best friend had attacked him. I put little Mr T back in with him and the pair have been cuddled up in bed since last night. There were no signs that anything like this was going to happen, none at all. There was no tail rattling, bullying, chasing, nipping - they had a few minutes a day sleeping separately but that was it. Krispie and Mercury had even been playing on the flying saucer together earlier yesterday.

Krispie is only 7 weeks old today. I'm glad I was there to stop him as even at this age I think that if I hadn't intervened Krispie would have killed Mercury :( When I had collected Krispie's mum Molly the feeder breeder had said that she was getting rid of the whole line as Molly's dad was too sexually driven and aggressive with it - he had attacked two and three week old baby males and it looks like Krispie may be taking after him :( That's two weeks he has been in with Mercury and after the injuries he has caused I really don't feel comfortable risking any of my soon to be neutered boys in with him anytime soon :( I'm really, really gutted :(
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Oh no, naughty Krispie! They just don't seem to realise what's good for them.

If you're short of cages, I'm still trying to downsize here. I have a Skyline Toby and a Savic Bristol (if I can find a box big enough to post them in).

Thanked by 1zany_toon
    Thanks for the offer Ann :) I might have a look and take you up on that offer. I'd only just recently started getting rid of cages and then with taking on so many mice from the feeder breeder at the end of last year all my spare cages have ended up being put into use until I can introduce everyone to bigger groups!!

Naughty Krispie might be milder language than I was throwing at him the night he attacked Mercury  :-*
    Oh no, the little beggar! Just goes to show they can turn on a sixpence. Hope all goes well on Monday with the neuters. It should make life easier all round for the mice and for you Roz. Is Mercury okay after the attack? His wound sounds nasty. x
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Hope Mercury's okay zany_toon, poor little mite!

I'll keep an eye out for cheap cages for you if you want? There's a rat cage for £25 in Wokingham but I don't know how big the bar spacings are, so it might not be suitable for mice, particularly very small ones, but there's usually hamster/mouse cages going pretty cheaply or even completely free on free ad sites.

(chins for the win!)

• BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse
    Aaaah I love them!!! Who is that GIGANTIC boy in the second picture! You either have very small hands Roz or he is part Rat  :-O

Hehe, what lucky meece. My cage is looking rather empty so I'm very excited to adopt some more babies. 
    AnnB said:

Oh no, naughty Krispie! They just don't seem to realise what's good for them.

If you're short of cages, I'm still trying to downsize here. I have a Skyline Toby and a Savic Bristol (if I can find a box big enough to post them in).

Ann, I wanted to say thank you very much for the offer and I was wondering if i could take you up on the Skyline Toby? Could I ask you though what the bar spacing is? I know the bar spacing on the Bristol is too big for Krispie and he's the one I'm having bother getting a cage for. Most of my cages with narrow bars have a large door or much larger gaps at the side and I think even if I tried to sort this he'd manage to get out. The Toby sounds like it would be more suitable for him. I will send you a PM :)
    Kawaii said:

Hope Mercury's okay zany_toon, poor little mite!

I'll keep an eye out for cheap cages for you if you want? There's a rat cage for £25 in Wokingham but I don't know how big the bar spacings are, so it might not be suitable for mice, particularly very small ones, but there's usually hamster/mouse cages going pretty cheaply or even completely free on free ad sites.
    Thank you for the offer Kawaii :) I really appreciate it :) I'd been keeping an eye out myself with no luck of anything local but I think if Ann still has the Toby I will be sorted now :) Thank you :D

Oh no, the little beggar! Just goes to show they can turn on a sixpence. Hope all goes well on Monday with the neuters. It should make life easier all round for the mice and for you Roz. Is Mercury okay after the attack? His wound sounds nasty. x

I have a really sick stomach at the thought of the neuters on Monday :-*Mum and I are going out to try and stop me fixating on it while they are in but I'm really worried about it :(

As for Mercury, he's really not himself just now :( He's acting a bit lost and depressed even with Mr T for company again but he is slowly coming around. I'm moving him and Mr T into a the Leon cage tomorrow (they are in a duna just now) to see if having some other things to do will cheer him up a bit. His wounds have thankfully completely scabbed over now, but I suspect he might be left with a small bit of his foot missing. I'm praying that all the neuters go as planned on Monday as my hopes are to introduce Mr T and Mercury to some of the other boys when their hormones die down as both Mr T and Mercury are really sociable.

Aaaah I love them!!! Who is that GIGANTIC boy in the second picture! You either have very small hands Roz or he is part Rat  :-O

Hehe, what lucky meece. My cage is looking rather empty so I'm very excited to adopt some more babies. 
    That's Mercury :) He was Fozzie's best friend :( He is big, but next to Mr T and Krispie (who are in the second picture too) he looks even bigger (they are only 13 grammes each and about the size of a three or four week old baby mouse.) I think there is something going on with Mercury health-wise that is causing him to be so big, as he wasn't as big as this even in September when he and Fozzie got together. He doesn't actually eat more than any of my other mice and he did used to be quite active, but with his weight gain his activity levels have dropped :( I promise he is all mouse though (just 82 grammes of mouse!!)

I'm sorry that your cage is rather empty, but I can't wait to see your new babies when you get them :D
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    edited February 2016 Posts: 972

Here are some photos of the Toby cage. I've sent you a PM with more of a description but as you can see, I have added an extra door with larger bar spacing that will need to be meshed or blocked somehow for small mice. The wooden accessories were never used so are still brand new.

Fingers crossed all goes well with the neutering on Monday.

IMG_6860 resize.jpg
    600 x 385 - 170K
    IMG_6863 resize.jpg
    600 x 472 - 167K
  • BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse
    82 GRAMS!!!!!!!! JEEZ!! That is huge! I really hope he is just a big boy and doesnt have anything sinister wrong with him. Thats exactly what happened to Pecan he just sort of...got huge. Fingers crossed for you. 

xxx
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    13 grams though, that's mini! Awww. Teeny little meeces, then there's the 82 gram megameece. Love it.

(chins for the win!)

Thinking about you today and hope all goes well at the vets. x
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    How'd it go at the vets zany_toon?

(chins for the win!)

Thanked by 1zany_toon
    Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts Kawaii, and April :) All went well at the vets and the boys are at home recovering :) One of the boys was seemingly a bit of a struggle to get around after the anaesthetic but he's doing ok now :) I've just to keep an eye on them so they don't chew their stitches as apparently they were having a try at it before I even picked them up!! Thank you for thinking of me, I really appreciate it :)

I've ended up with a bit of a sore head from worrying about them all day so I am afraid I will catch up on the rest of the forum news tomorrow :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

I'm so glad they made it through the op and I hope they recover well.

The Toby cage is half packed but it's sticking out of the end of the box so I just need to get a bit more cardboard, then I'll be ready to send it.

Thanked by 1zany_toon
    Good to hear they are all home and doing well, I`m so relieved for you and the boys. I need some of your nerve Roz because I`m a wimp and couldn`t do it! (:|
    I'm glad they're all home and ok. I hope they recover well and are able to be introduced to each other soon :)
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Glad all went well.Hope they all make a speedy recovery.
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
  • NuttySianNuttySian Mouse
    Oh my, what a time you've been having! Naughty (but gorgeous!) boys, causing so much trouble. :((
    Thanked by 1zany_toon