Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Mouseless Newbie.

Hi out there...
I have one Syrian Hamster and no mice or rats.. But Im thinking of getting a pet mouse in the future-which is basically why im here, so I can learn a little about them and figure out if I should get one. 

TO MICE OWNERS: I have a few questions for you-
1)  Whats your favorite part about being a mouse mama? 
2)  Whats your least fav. part? 
3)  What was the biggest mistake you've made as a mouse parent? 
4)  Give me one piece of advice about parenting a mouse. 

Thank you to all who read and respond! Looking forward to this :) 

-CoralHammyMamma

Comments

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    edited February 2016 Posts: 255
    Welcome :)

1. I don't own mice myself, only hamsters and chinchillas, but I know they need to live with company; females in a minimum of three and unneutered males can, I believe, live with their brothers or other males but fighting is more likely with unrelated adults. Neutered males do fine in mixed groups.

2. They're adorable.

3. Male mice can smell and average live span for a fancy mouse only is about 2-3 years...I've heard of people whose houses got really smelly because of their meeces because it's a hormonal/territorial thing and the more you spot-clean the cage the worse it gets! So bear that in mind and only clean out once a week and don't ever get rid of every single piece of the old substrate - leave a little of the old stuff in, provided it's clean, so they still have their scent there and don't feel the need to 'claim' the cage again.

4. BIG CAGE and GO FROM A RESCUE.
    My favourite cages are Ferplast Duna Multy which is 71x46x31cm, £32; the Savic Hamster Heaven Metro,  80 x 50 x 50 cm,  £59.99; the Alexander small pet cage, 101 x 52.5 x 51 cm , £69.99; and the Barney Pet cage, 100 x 54 x 45 cm and £49.99. 
    They can all be purchased online pretty easily.

The RSPCA has lots of mice as does Notts Nibblers Rodent Rescue, Primrose mouse rescue and Furry Friends Rescue (presuming you're in the UK?).

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• bms92bms92 Lemming
    Kawaii said:

Welcome :)

1. I don't own mice myself, only hamsters and chinchillas, but I know they need to live with company; females in a minimum of three and unneutered males can, I believe, live with their brothers or other males but fighting is more likely with unrelated adults. Neutered males do fine in mixed groups.

2. They're adorable.

3. Male mice can smell and average live span for a fancy mouse only is about 2-3 years...I've heard of people whose houses got really smelly because of their meeces because it's a hormonal/territorial thing and the more you spot-clean the cage the worse it gets! So bear that in mind and only clean out once a week and don't ever get rid of every single piece of the old substrate - leave a little of the old stuff in, provided it's clean, so they still have their scent there and don't feel the need to 'claim' the cage again.

4. BIG CAGE and GO FROM A RESCUE.
    My favourite cages are Ferplast Duna Multy which is 71x46x31cm, £32; the Savic Hamster Heaven Metro,  80 x 50 x 50 cm,  £59.99; the Alexander small pet cage, 101 x 52.5 x 51 cm , £69.99; and the Barney Pet cage, 100 x 54 x 45 cm and £49.99. 
    They can all be purchased online pretty easily.

The RSPCA has lots of mice as does Notts Nibblers Rodent Rescue, Primrose mouse rescue and Furry Friends Rescue (presuming you're in the UK?).

Im actually in the US. Thanks for the info. I hadnt realized they were so stinky. I actually went to a pet store today to just check them out. Wowzers.. lol 
    1)  Whats your favorite part about being a mouse mama? Spending time with them
    2)  Whats your least fav. part? Cleaning some males cages, I've had some who urinated over everything and it makes things feel really horrible when you pick them up for cleaning. I don't find mice too smelly, I usually only notice the smell if I'm right next to the cage in question, I just don't like the slimy feel toys can get when they've been urinated on a lot. Not all males are like that though, only one out of four of my current intact boys is.
    3)  What was the biggest mistake you've made as a mouse parent? Trusting someone when I shouldn't have. I trusted what they told me (including that their mice were a stable group who'd been together a while) and the mice paid the price. There was only one early warning sign about the person being untrustworthy and I let it go when I should've realised it meant I needed to watch the mice extra-closely incase anything else was off. Wasn't a mistake with the mice though, just the person I got them from. Its also really, really, really unlikely anyone will go through that situation - we've adopted mice from quite a few people and normally we're told the truth and things are exactly as they seem to be.
    4)  Give me one piece of advice about parenting a mouse. Do all your research first and double check genders before you take your mouse/mice home, you really don't want to end up with a single female, a group of males you think are girls or a mixed sex group
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    1)  Whats your favorite part about being a mouse mama? Everything :) Their characters, their cuddles, their antics, their eagerness to cause trouble :)
    2)  Whats your least fav. part? Their short lifespans and all the health issues they can get :( The average age for a mouse to live is just 18 months - which means that as an average some mice are very lucky if they even get to that age :( Some of their health problems (one of the biggest being tumours) are horrible and there is nothing worse than seeing a bright, cheerful, happy mouse fading away or being overcome by pain overnight :(
    3)  What was the biggest mistake you've made as a mouse parent? Thinking I could save them all and that I could easily stop getting more.
    4)  Give me one piece of advice about parenting a mouse. Find a good vet that will treat mice before you even think of getting any as I guarantee you that you will need it at some point in your time of keeping mice. I'd also recommend getting the biggest possible cage you can and researching a good food as these are  things that will have a big impact on their health as well.
    zany_toon said:

3)  What was the biggest mistake you've made as a mouse parent? Thinking I could save them all and that I could easily stop getting more.

I skipped that one :D Our hamsters forced us to accept reality long before we got our first mice :P
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
     Thinking I could save them all and that I could easily stop getting more.

Thisthisthisthisthisthisthis why must small furries NOT LIVE LONG ENOUGH ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Also yes,  I have to limit how often I go to PAH to stop myself taking home everything in their adoption centre, hah.

(Excluding chinchillas mwahahah, they lives decaaaades, literally :P )

(chins for the win!)

• zany_toonzany_toon Mouse

zany_toon said:

I skipped that one :D Our hamsters forced us to accept reality long before we got our first mice :P

Yeah, well, I started with mice and it's been a downward spiral ever since :P !!

I think the hardest part though is realising that even taking on a huge number of mice isn't necessarily going to save them when the health problems start up :( I hate that, knowing that you are doing everything you can and it's not going to be enough :(

Kawaii said:

Thisthisthisthisthisthisthis why must small furries NOT LIVE LONG ENOUGH ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Also yes,  I have to limit how often I go to PAH to stop myself taking home everything in their adoption centre, hah.

:P Yeah, me too :P I am banned from going into PAH without a family member now so that they can keep reminded me that the animals are doing fine and I don't have anywhere to fit in another cage!!
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    zany_toon said:

zany_toon said:

Yeah, well, I started with mice and it's been a downward spiral ever since :P !!

I think the hardest part though is realising that even taking on a huge number of mice isn't necessarily going to save them when the health problems start up :( I hate that, knowing that you are doing everything you can and it's not going to be enough :(

Kawaii said:

:P Yeah, me too :P I am banned from going into PAH without a family member now so that they can keep reminded me that the animals are doing fine and I don't have anywhere to fit in another cage!!

Same. If it was up to me I'd bring a new animal home probably at least monthly. If I was being restrained that is, if I wasn't being restrained I'd  probably have 1000's already. 

(chins for the win!)

• edited February 2016 Posts: 529
    zany_toon said:

Yeah... I hate that too. We ended up getting so many more mice last summer and we've lost a lot already. It must've averaged out at at least two losses a month since and thats just the mice we got over the summer! We've had even more losses when you start to consider the rest of our mice and our other rodents :(
    We can make a difference though. The mice we've lost did at least have some time with plenty of food, water, toys, attention e.t.c and that alone will have made a huge difference to them. We can't save them all but we can at least help some and I guess sometimes you've got to settle for helping instead of saving.

(Oh and I don't have the P@H problem too much either - mostly because we've refused to go in the local P@H for the last few years. When the nearest P@H you'll set foot in is at least 90 mins away you don't get tempted half as often as you could :P )