Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

[Help] Friend has been given several mice, some of which are pregnant

Hi all, 

Have a friend asking me for advice, shes had 2 mothers give birth, thinks the 3rd may possibly be pregnant as well. Should she separate the females from the other females? (I'm not sure if they will harm others babies or not) Already let her know to remove the (adult) boys. She would also like to upgrade their living space, I said may not be wise to disturb the nests or move them into a different cage for now with new borns. Suggested giving them a week or two and spot cleaning the cage but not the nests. Is there anything I've suggested wrong here? Been so long since I kept mice.

Comments

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Sounds about right. Defo get her to remove the adult males though, and keep them in the same cage. Thinking the females will be okay together, may even help raising each others pups but do correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Sounds good to me - I know that's the advice I've had before :) If the mums are all getting on and helping one another I don't see a reason to move them as they will be able to share all the feeding duties. As for upgrading their living space, it might be worth waiting until the babies need separating from their mums so that all the stressful things are done in one go and it means that she can get something with perhaps slightly larger bar spacing :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Yes I too would suggest leaving any stressful moves until babies are at least several weeks old. I think the main problem with keeping a number of mums and litters of slightly different ages together is keeping a count of how old the individual babies are so that the baby boys can be removed before they start getting the females pregnant again. It would also be worth advising your friend about adding a little extra protein to the mums' diet.
  • FennicFennic Lemming
    Thank you Kawaii, Zany and Ann, i've let her know all of this as you've suggested it. :)