Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

New to the forum...fairly new to mice

Hi,
My love affair with mice started when one ran across my living room and disappeared under the tele. 'That's a mouse or a really big spider' (I'd rather it was a mouse!). And so he disappeared but we saw evidence - warp speed movement of a small furry body - several times. One night I was working in the kitchen when he appeared from under the fridge and sat up looking at me. 'Hello' I said, 'are you hungry?'. 'Yes starving' he said. I happened myself to be eating some seeds so I put some down and shortly after he came out again, stuffed the seeds, said 'thanks very much' and went back under the fridge. 'He likes seeds' I shouted to my partner. 'You're not feeding it!?'...... And so we saw a fair bit of mouse for a few days and eventually decided we had to do something about it. Trapping and killing was not an option, trapping and releasing also seemed wrong. Too close and he will come back, too far and he would be out of his territory, unable to find food food and shelter and would die alone, frightened and hungry. (Or so the all knowing Internet said). Did not bear thinking about.
But deal with him we must. Bought a humane trap, put it down, bated with seeds and oat flakes. Checked - food gone, trap not tripped, no mouse....hmm, he is clever. Modified trap (hard surface, not carpet), waited in the dark kitchen and bingo, caught one mouse. Placed opened trap in hastily modified residence (old floppy disk carrier box (now that ages me), with air holes, water in a bowl, oats and seeds). By the morning he'd chewed a neat little hole and sped away. Hmmm.... At this point we hadn't said but we're both thinking 'he cannot stay behind the fridge, we will not kill him, we will not release him, we have to just safely contain him'.
Purchased popular make-plastic-tunnel-living-quarter starter kit, caught him again and placed open trap inside and retreated. Little man (for man he clearly was) eventually came out and delighted us with dragging paper towels into garish green plastic dwelling. And there he stayed apparently happy. 'We should put the trap down again' my partner sensibly said. It hadn't occured to me there'd be more. We caught another boy. Assuming they must know each other we put him in same residence (Habitrail, there I've said it). Much emergency grooming and greeting entailed and I am happy they are not going to kill each other; we assume brothers. Their names are Harry (Houdini escape artist) and by natural extension, Wills, who was a little bit slower.
Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and Teddy the hamster.
Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills
Tagged:

Comments

• SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Um, I wrote a lot more but it seems to have lost it
    Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills
    I was telling you about my mouse lust and how I then bought 3 fancy mice from a breeder last September (Jill, Sabrina and Kelly), then Dylan and Alex in November and Natalie, Tiffany, Kate, Abby, Eve and Kris in December.
    I also spoke sadly of the loss of little Jill in December due to congenital heart failure and my tears then and now.
    But other lives have to continue and my mischief of 10 is a happy one.
    Other than Dylan who has scratched her ear, side of face and chest raw and wet. They have been treated for mites (ivermectin), they have Baytril in the water and I have tried hydrocortisone and sudocreme. This worked for Sabrina last year who had the same but Dylan is not responding. Other than incessant scratching she appears happy, runs on the wheel, eats, drinks (but weighs less than she did). I try to keep her distracted but I have to sleep I was hoping someone might have some fresh ideas? Hello all.
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Welcome...

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• CritteryCrittery Overlord
    Hello and welcome! Lovely to hear about your mousey history :)

There's some threads about obsessive scratching on here - I'll try and dig it up when I'm at a computer. You can try the search feature to see if anything comes up. It's a nasty problem for some characters - hope you can get to the bottom of it. Is it a new problem? Have you tried changing the bedding or substrate?
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
    Thanked by 1Sarahnash
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Hello and welcome :-h
    Thanks for any advice. The initial scratching started last year when I tried hemp as a substrate in their tank. Sabs and Dills scratched immediately, but most people do I think in a new setup? Anyway hoiked them out the next day but I think damage was done. Have never used hemp since. Then it was Sabs had the raw ear but she did improve, but her right ear is still not all there. This time it's Dills and much worse. They live on my kitchen table within a wooden playpen about 12" high, open to the air. I put a towel down but give them plastic trays with substrate and toys in so they can burrow and play. Change it all twice a week (hot wash). Substrate varies -twistynest or back to nature. Occasionally megazorb which the breeder uses, but not often as I don't like the smell. Their nests are mixture of twistynest, Jcloths and shredded paper. The Jcloth and paper is frozen before use. I hope I am doing the right thing by them, please anyone say if you spot a problem.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Hi and welcome to the forum.

What a sweet story about the wild mice choosing to live with you, although I am surprised that they didn't fight with each other if they were both male.

Oh no, you've experienced the dreaded OCD scratching too! The best success I've had to date is to treat for a fungal infection (Lamisil/Terbinafine cream) as well as with Ivermectin for mites. I find it helps greatly to vacuum the room frequently too, keeping any mites at bay.

Hi AnnB, yes the boys were a worry at first but I think they were born together. They groom and snuggle together all the time.
    I will give the lamisil a go. What I don't get is if mites or fungal, why isn't everyone affected? Not that I'm complaining...think I will also change washing powder for something unscented (Persil girl) and wash hotter.
    I'll post how we do.
    Oh yes- re: Baytril - currently am putting in water which seems hit and miss to me. Has anyone put it on the coat so they lick it off? Vet gave me a syringe to put to their mouth - no chance! I will ask the vet as well (forum not vet advice I know) but has anyone done it with success?
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

If your mice are greedy like mine, you can put the required dose of Baytril on a bit of their favourite treat. I can bribe my mice to take meds on bits of Rich Tea biscuit, a bit of walnut, a rice puff or a small blob of that malt paste you can get for ferrets. As a last resort I drop the Baytril behind their ears for them to wash off but if it's for the mouse/mice with OCD scratching I would try all other options first because it will just make them scratch all the more.

I think the scratching is a bit like a flea allergy that you see in some cats and dogs. Some individuals seem more sensitive than others.

Hi, so a small revelation yesterday. I was looking at Dills to see how the ear and raw patch was doing and it struck me her mouth looked odd. Perhaps because the fur was missing? No, look closer in one of her inactive moments and her bottom incisors are way too big and she cannot close her mouth. OMG. Called vet immediately, cannot fit us in till 9:30 today so preparing for visit now. No wonder she is upset and losing weight, poor girl cannot eat properly. There is a huge amount of chewable wood in the environment and I hope I haven't got that wrong. I'm thinking she got so involved in the ear and cleaning she stopped chewing. Or maybe there is something mechnically wrong with the jaw, the incisors are not only too big but are not growing straight up.
    I'll post later. Wish us luck.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Well spotted! Good luck at the vets. Perhaps if the teeth were growing at an odd angle, they weren't being naturally worn down by chewing wood or eating grains. 
    Ok back from vet, appointment made for Friday 9:50 to knock her out and investigate. She is such an agreeable, otherwise happy girl, keeps trying to be a mouse. Have bought an antler to supplement chewing articles for everyone else. Too late for Dills currently she cannot open wide enough to chew.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Poor little girl. Is it worth trying her with some porridge for the time being?
    Another option could be to soak some of your mouse food in hot water, wait a while, drain the excess water off and offer her that. If its anything like hamster food the water will go an utterly foul colour but it does make the food a lot easier to eat sometimes.

I hope the others like their antlers and that Dills appointment goes well on Friday
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)
    Thanked by 1Sarahnash
    Thanks both, will give the soaking a try, anything to keep enough food in to stay alive. It's a good thing in a way she is clearly hungry, says to me otherwise she is OK? Yes hand feeding Tescos organic oats, singularly and digestive biscuit crumbs (sorry). Also cooked some rice and barley till soft, she can eat that but has to be encouraged. Spent all evening up my sleeve. Took her to water during the ad breaks, she sat in my sleeve and drank from the water bottle, the politely told me she had enough and can she go up the sleeve again
    Ok. They called to say had knocked her out, had a look, taken some X-rays. No sign of bad stuff in jaw or ear but vet said jaw was 'rubbery'. She asked what I was feeding them (mixture of tiny friends for rat and mice, rice - cooked and uncooked, pasta uncooked, oats,barley, broccoli, peas, sweetcorn, lettuce, selective supreme for mice). She thinks they have not been getting a balanced diet and said for next 6 weeks to feed everyone on selective for mice, only. Then reassess.
    I am a bad parent.
    She was concerned at the amount of oats in the feed and said it wasn't balanced. In my defence this was one of few things Dills would take this week.
    The vet said because of concern about jaw she hadn't done any procedure just investigated. I said how will she eat, we haven't changed anything immediately?
    She acquiesced and said she'd knock her out again and file down the teeth. Which she did.
    I have collected a bright and happy girl, running on her wheel and sitting up taking notice. She is up my sleeve I think asleep, is certainly motionless. Looking at her mouth it doesn't look any different to me. But I will do as I'm told but I may have to give them the occasional healthy treat.
    But what is considered good for people is not good for mice.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

The trouble with mice is that they're very much like people - picking out their favourite bits of food. The good thing about the Science Selective is that your mice will be forced into a balanced diet because all the ingredients are mixed together and made into a biscuit, the bad thing is that some mice aren't keen on those large biscuits so I'd keep a careful eye on their weight in case it goes down over the six week period.

Do your mice like the broccoli, peas, sweetcorn etc? My lot always turned their noses up at fresh veg but perhaps that's proved to be a bonus because their teeth have never grown long, not having had access to soft food.

Thanked by 1Sarahnash
    Hi AnnB, thanks for the reply. I started the 'diet' today with just science selective broken up and dry and a separate bit really crushed and mixed with boiled, cooled water. We felt very sad just giving them that and they showed their disdain by not eating it and someone's pooed in the paste-mixture :(
    I do think Dylan has lost weight since yesterday, has lost density over her back legs. I will certainly keep an eye and will weigh them later when they've woken up. Yes boys and girls like raw veggies, I tried to give the something fresh once a day (as well as the proper food). The health benefits of broccoli are well documented in humans so figured mice could benefit too. I recon it's what they'd eat in the wild all those years and relations ago, so couldn't be that bad?
    Hey ho.
    I have prepared a new environment that hope will please them, I'll post some pics in a bit, but will move future discussions to a different page as we've been introduced now :).