Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Confused on Dwarf Hamster Weights

What is a 'normal' weight range for a Russian Hybrid Hamster?

Jane's 2.5 oz (that's 70 grams, apparently).....she's gained half an ounce since February 11th. But I've not changed anything I'm feeding her. If anything she's getting less food now than she was then. And Prince has been the EXACT same for ages.
Do I need to worry or not? Half an ounce - 14 grams - seems quite a lot, for something so tiny. She's never been a very active hamster, and is in fact probably the laziest I've ever come across, but her diet hasn't changed really, except to probably decrease.

(Unless a hamster can get fat off cat biscuits, meal worms and millet sprays.....which are the only additions to her diet I've made since getting her. But I decreased the muesli at the same time so the overall amount of stuff-with-calories-in she receives has NOT changed.)

Sorry for that being ramble-y and probably not making sense. I was very shocked and more than a little concerned when I weighed her last night. Prince is still 7 ounces and has been ever since I started recording the animals' weights.

TIA everyone.

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

Comments

• NuttySianNuttySian Mouse
    It can vary quite a lot. I had a hybrid that weighed 80g and she was active on her wheel every day. Others have been smaller.

It varies with non hybrids too, right now we have 4 that go from as little as 40+g up to 70+g.

We've noticed their weights go up and down if the weather changes too.
    Thanked by 1Kawaii
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I hesitate to try and offer much advice here as I have little knowledge of Hamsters but I do know that cat biscuits, mealworms and millet (but especially the first two) are high in protein and therefore will most certainly contribute to weight gain. I'd be tempted to increase the muesli again slightly and decrease the cat biscuits and mealworms.
    Thanked by 1Kawaii
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Okay. Thanks folks :) 
    Will do as AnnB says, but mostly wait and see. Might help if she could  be bothered to use her wheel. She does know how, but just doesn't very often.....and when she does it's not so much running as going for a gentle stroll :P 

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....