Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Is this a Respiratory Infection?

So I didn't realize that sneezing was a serious problem, until I read some stuff on here. Mickey has sneezed for a while now, sort of a dry sneeze. He hasn't gotten worse or better. He also has been making little "talking noises" as I called them, were it sounds like he breaths in and out of his nose super fact when he's excited. Is this a RI? I have a video of the sneezing sounds linked done below. I'm worried about taking to the vet because he isn't properly tame yet, will it totally traumatize him? could it be spring allergys?

Comments

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Have you checked his eyes & nose for discharge? What bedding are you using? Maybe it's brought on by stress? I know nothing about mice but didn't want to read and run, he's a lovely boy and I'd hate for him to be ill so soon after you got him.

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

Yes it very likely is a respiratory infection. If my mice sneeze but nothing more than that, I don't treat them but if they start making the "talking noises" I usually get them on a course of Baytril (prescribed by the vet). I've had one mouse who has been living with her respiratory infection for over six months now and it doesn't affect her quality of life. It's something that mice are just prone to, unfortunately.

Kawaii is right about stress bringing it on sometimes or dusty bedding so you may find he settles once he's got used to his new surroundings.

• Meece17Meece17 Lemming
    Just wanted to update you guys on what has been happening with Mickey. I felt it was un-fair to him not to take a vet visit. I took Mickey to  Petco (as he is on a 30 day guarantee) and they took him to the vet for me. They informed me that they would be medicating him there, and as I am going out of town this week I knew this was my best option, as I was leaving in three days and my pet-sitter wouldn't be able to do this.

I took him to Petco on Friday, and they only just got him to the vet today, which was distressing but unfortunately the only option. So... they called me today saying it was a upper respiratory infection like I suspected, and they will be treating him for two weeks with antibiotics.:-O I'm going to have to tame all over again.....

Of coarse apparently they seemed to want to pin some of the blame on me, saying that the fleece liners that I have been keeping him on aren't a "clean enough" option. Also the vet apparently said that detergent could leave a residue that would irritate his respiratory system. This whole ordeal has been very very difficult for me and I about cracked from them saying that. :-/ I wanted to know what you guys thought of this info and if it is even valid at all. I have been using an all natural detergent and spot cleaning thoroughly every day. The vet also talked about all seed mixes being basically evil, so I'm taking his advice with a grain of salt.....

sorry if this sounds a bit angry, but I am pretty stressed:-*
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Mice are prone to respiratory infections anyway, all you can ever do is minimise the chances of a mouse succumbing (ie. no scented or dusty bedding and plenty of ventilation in the cage but no direct draughts). I don't know what your Petco is like but they may just be trying to get out of accepting any blame themselves.
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    I am a relative newbie to mice and there are far more experienced people here who can offer an opinion. I can only sympathise as I too have illness issues and I know it makes you feel quite helpless. If any consolation I'm not convinced all vets know a great deal about mice. When I took Dylan to the vet as I thought her teeth were causing a problem the vet said she'd have to check if mice had constantly growing teeth, she didn't know. I did!
    She also put everyone on a lab block feed for 6 weeks as thought it could be diet related. Personally I don't, or everyone would be the same.
    I think we live with them and if attending to them and their needs we see and monitor their problems, often better than a vet who sees them once in a while. I also have a 'chattering' girl who does it periodically; she's quiet for a few days then I'll hear her again. Other than that she runs on the wheel and eats, drinks and chases so I think is happy and fairly well. So I don't stress about her too much. I guess it also depends on other symptoms.
    I wouldn't beat yourself up about if, I try not to myself but I know it's hard.
    I gave my opinion on your fleece question, I'm sure others can also say. My girls run around on a towel, changed twice a week, so is similar. I don't use much detergent but do wash hot.
    Sorry I'll stop talking now.

Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and Teddy the hamster.
    Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    I have never heard anything like that about using fleece as liners before, so I'm a bit skeptical about that. If you're worried about residue from the washing, maybe putting it on an extra rinse would be worth a try? But it does sound as though they're just trying to pin the blame elsewhere.

Try not to stress too much about it. It's not your fault. As AnnB has said, mice are very prone to respiratory issues. All you can do is try your best to prevent them, and treat them when they become an issue. My mouse Clover had respiratory issues on and off all her life. She was perfectly happy and healthy otherwise - and she lived to 2 years and 7 months, which is a very good age for a mouse!
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • Meece17Meece17 Lemming
    I can't thank you all enough for your support and comments on this! I was pretty surprised by how many responses I've gotten answering questions. I've never been on a forum that felt so much like a community :) I hope I can help as well as be helped while I'm here. #:-S
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,268

Hi Meece17. Just wanted to add that the advice given is always sound on here and if Petco follow up on the medication rather than voicing blame, then Mickey should benefit from having Baytril IF they dose it often enough. If you collect Mickey and his symptoms are better, get him home and allow him to go back to what he was used to. My advice would be use your fleece, but never wash it in detergents, just warm water perhaps with a tiny bit of washing up liquid if necessary. Also, don`t use cage cleaning sprays or dusty substrate with mice. It`s not necessary. Just wipe the cage and any shelves with warm water and kitchen towel. Use ripped up plain white toilet paper as nesting as it`s safe. Shredded paper also, as long as it isn`t glossy paper. Newspapers are fine to shred too, but perhaps shred them well in advance of using them and air the in a cardboard box a few months before use. This will help diminish any inky smells.

Make sure his diet is varied and add budgie or canary seed millet. Mice love this and the millet sprays. Welcome by the way. x