Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Introducing HarryNWills and Arundell Angels

It's been a week since I last posted. Dylan has had her procedure to file her teeth, everyone is on Science Supreme Selective for Mice and seem to be enjoying it - bowl emptied on a regular basis.  I have been weighing Dylan daily and is holding steady at 32g. A little off her previous 34g but within safety. She seems so light and delicate though compared to some of my other stockies.  She is still scratching and grooming through every waking hour and I am concerned about that.  She and Sabrina are back to the vet on Wednesday.  But she is still eating OK and drinking.  
I confess, I am giving occasional treats of a tiny piece of broccoli or a pea to anyone who is interested.  I'm just not putting it down as their main food. 

I have some pictures for you.  Mostly of cage setups as taking a picture of mice is quite hard.  You get a blur or the front/back end and not many sit still for the camera!  

So HarryNWills wild boys, resident since June 2015.

When Harry First Caught

...Harry escaped

Harry caught again, then Wills and their first home.  Brown smudge top left is a boy. LOL.

... after 2 days evolved into

HNW pooped out after exploring and eating peas and sweetcorn 

Just wanted to give them more, more, more. They love scurrying through the tunnels.  And we have fun changing it for them.  Although have to gently herd them to a securable area so can take apart and clean.  We don't pick up the wild boys.

imageimage

Added Detolf October 2015 as per numerous YouTube and Pinterest ideas, but needed to keep the tunnels and spaces -

We like digging.  Trashed a perfectly good spider plant (safe for mice) and lettuce and kale.

I don't generally feed them things that are bigger than they are, but they really love sweetcorn.

And now the girls;
Our Arundell Angels (for those of a certain age review 1970's American TV cop programs for naming conventions). Not so much photographed I realise. They move too quick!

Sabrina from last year with a poorly ear.  Got worse then better but worse again now.  
She is a feisty girl who makes her feelings known.  If she doesn't want to be picked up she will nibble and squirm.  Never really bitten us, but Just Lets You Know She Wants To Get Down.

Our tamest girl Alex.  She is a sweetheart who will just hop on your hand, an intrepid explorer but always returns.

Below is lovely Kris who was at first, feisty but timid :)  
I had to pick up the wheel she was in if I wanted to pick up her and one day I went to gently take her from the elevated wheel and she just squinted her eyes up, withdrew slightly then relaxed.  As if to say Oh, OK, go on then.
Since then she has been still timid, but comes to us now. And if one girl is up the sleeve she has to be up there too.

And here she is again.  Knows where the camera is.

My other girls yet to be seen:-----
Kelly - I think her colour is described as chinchilla?  Sort of silvery grey.  Together with Sabrina she is one of my first three.   She has her own health troubles I think as has shot up in weight.  This morning massive 64g.   Vet thought she might be diabetic (dismissed that she has 'the fat gene' - any thoughts or experience on that anyone?)
In fact you can see her on left on a rock in one of their environment setups:

And having a drink here, although is mainly a picture of a food bowl.  Supreme Science Selective.  Looks like cardboard. 

Also to meet properly are
Natalie (red-eyed orange and white), another tame girl who seems to be taking Dylan under her wing (arm/paw?)
Tiffany (red-eyed orange), has a bit of permanent respiratory infection, taking advantage of the Baytril for Sabs and Dills.

Below is Kelly at the tower, Tiffany back wall and Alex a blur on a wheel.

Abby (black-eyed caramel and white),  major shy and timid, just coming around to us now.  Sorry bad picture of her to left of car.

Kate (agouti),  still shy but will go up a sleeve if everyone else does
Eve (black eyed brown and white), major timid but hugely trusting once she's in your hand and then doesn't want to get down
Dylan (mock chocolate?),  she is so lovely and doesn't deserve her problems.  I wish I could help her more.

Sorry if I got the colours wrong, they probably have proper names.

And lastly little Jill, from the original three.  Our white satin.  Goodnight little girl.   Another sweetie who knew where the camera was. 

HarryCaught2.jpg
519 x 388 - 116K
HarryEscape2.JPG
519 x 388 - 100K
HWFirstHome.JPG
519 x 388 - 142K
HWHome2.1.JPG
519 x 388 - 95K
HWHome2.19.JPG
519 x 388 - 106K
HWHome7.6.JPG
909 x 770 - 292K
HWHome8.10.JPG
778 x 581 - 208K
HWHome8.2.JPG
778 x 581 - 197K
HWHome8.12.JPG
778 x 581 - 184K
HWHome10.4.JPG
519 x 388 - 104K
10G_SABRINA8.6.JPG
778 x 581 - 205K
Alex.png
560 x 477 - 610K
Kris.jpg
655 x 474 - 76K
Kris2.jpg
721 x 471 - 88K
10G14.1.JPG
908 x 678 - 294K
IMG_5628.JPG
510 x 527 - 78K
3G_JILL2.8.JPG
575 x 548 - 106K
10G10.2.JPG
1037 x 775 - 346K
10G14.2.JPG
1037 x 775 - 360K
Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
Tagged:

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

Oh wow, much as dislike those habitrail cages, your set-ups are awesome! Must take a lifetime to clean all those tubes though.

I'm in love with Kris, she has the sweetest little face.

• NickyNicky Mouse
    I was the same, always hated habitrail until I saw this. Fantastic set ups :\">
  • Meece17Meece17 Lemming
    I loved my habitrail as a playtime setup for my past hamster. Your habitrail is totally awesome! It was have taken forever to collect all those tubes;) good pictures!
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Cheers, the boys prefer the tunnels, makes them feel safe I think.  I have included Habitrail tunnels in the girls environment sometimes as it gives them variety. They ping along the tunnels to get to places.  And they love the maze.  But I've learnt not to use the Habitrail tray - just use the maze part.  They get more airflow and can get in from the sides also.  In a hugely endearing way Alex will snuffle around the twisty nest and carefully move the blue bits (only the blue ones mind) from one place to another.  Can mice see colours?

Yes the cleaning and drying can take a while but is labour of love ;)  In fact it was Laundry Day yesterday.

Nothing as sad as an empty home...oh look exciting times again.   Before they trashed the place :)
    emptyfull.jpg
    742 x 248 - 100K
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Sarahnash - Mice can see colours the same way a colour-blind person does (red green colour-blind). Sort of like below (left is how we would see the jelly beans, right is red-green colour-blind).

Your mice will indeed be able to see the blue :)
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Cool, thank you. Will now dress only in blue clothes so they recognise me :)