Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Popcorning/Sparking

Today was cleaning day and on cleaning day I like to change the cage setup around a bit to make it a bit more fun and interesting. When my mouse Honey was returned to her cage, she was very excited and "popcorned" a little.

This got me thinking about popcorning in general. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, I'm referring to when mice get excited and do a funny sort of twitch/jump. I think it's also referred to as sparking.

Does anyone know why exactly they do it? Are they just over excited, or over stimulated in that moment? Do rats or hamsters do it as well, or is this just a mouse thing? Just wondered =))
Hamster: Archie
Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger

Comments

• CritteryCrittery Overlord
    I love that, see if you can get a vid :D

Gerbils do this too. It's 'binking' in rabbits I think? (not a rodent, I know!)
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

........and "pronking" in deer.

I think it must just be excitement/happiness that causes them to do it.

• MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Aaw I might have to see if I can find some binking on youtube or something, that sounds cute :) Nice to hear gerbils do it too, it's one of my favourite mouse things haha. I wonder about the hammies?

Will have to see if I can get a video, maybe next cleaning day >:D<
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    It's BINKYING in bunnies. Very cute - I have a video of Pickles doing it somewhere, might try and find it.
    Guinea pigs and chins do this as well. Guinea pigs  will run in circles wheeking like mad, and chins will twitch and wall-surf. Unsure about hamsters but would be good to find out.
    I know when Prince gets very excited he'll toss his head and be almost spooky but be acting really happy and energetic at the same time. And rats brux and boggle!

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Kawaii - it's less common than in rats but mice can brux and boggle too. I had one lovely girl who used to do this when I stroked her in my hand. She was lovely. She used to take naps on me as well, usually inside my bra  X( lol.