Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Fleece?

Sorry I kinda asked a similar question in the Health category earlier today. But does anybody use fleece liners for their meece?

I was doing some more research on fleece and couldn't find much :P

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I use fleece hammocks and blankets for their beds but for the bottom of the cage I use shredded paper.
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    I tried fleece in the first tank I used. I found it smelly quite quickly. I have made them several fleece hammocks though and they like those and I change them more regularly than I change the whole place. Just pick the poos out and put on a hot wash.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley.
    Never forgotten fancy girl mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex, wild mice Harry Houdini and Little Wills
  • stephlisa87stephlisa87 Lemming
    I use fleece to make hammocks and a cosy nesting cube. I replace them when they get too smelly (the cube about once every two-three weeks currently), but Colin generally keeps things fairly clean (he is also only a single mouse so if you have a group of girls it might get smellier quicker).
    I also give him a small amount of little fleece squares as bedding material, but the majority of his bedding is paper based.
    Just a little boy mouse called Colin
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    For chins fleece 'substrate' is awesome but the smaller rodents like digging. Hammocks and stuff is  good though.

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    I'm sure the fleece is fine Meece17 if that's what you want to use. But as Kawaii said, meece do enjoy a bit of digging. If you want to continue with the fleece liners, you could maybe consider putting a little bit of shredded paper on top? Best of both worlds?

Personally I use something called Biocatolet, which is a recycled paper cat litter. I find it keeps the smell down really well, and is good for digging in :) Then shredded loo roll/tissues for their houses/nests. 
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • NuttySianNuttySian Mouse
    edited April 2016 Posts: 214
    I used fleece liners a few years back when I had a mouse with a bad skin infection, they were very handy as they didn't irritate, but were still comfortable for him.

I used to use fleece offcuts mixed in with whatever other bedding I was using which they enjoyed.
  • Meece17Meece17 Lemming
    Thanks so so much for all your answers guys. I really appreciate it!
  • Meece17Meece17 Lemming
    Oh almost forgot mouselover, I'm defiantly going to take your advice and I'm planning on building a digging box for paper bedding as soon as I get home from holiday;)
    Sweet :) sounds fun!
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • SusanneDerrSusanneDerr Lemming
    Nice ideas!
    On subject of fleece - do hamsters appreciate/can they have a fleece hammock?
    I don't have a hamster but will owe a favour to a hamster owner shortly and wondered if I could make a hammock for them (I have made hammocks for mice, it's not shop-bought perfect but my mice like it).
    image.jpg
    1785 x 1624 - 655K
    Never forgotten fancy girl mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex, wild mice Harry Houdini and Little Wills
    Sarahnash - that hammock looks neat :) I like all the bedding/nesting material on it too, looks cosy!

I've never owned a hamster but I have seen others people's hamster cage setups and have seen hammocks used :) so I guess they like them too! Just maybe make it a bit bigger if it's for a big syrian.
    Thanks ML, I think he is a little hamster, Roboski? I'll go ahead, not a pink one though as he is a boy :)
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Yes hamsters can have fleece hammocks. Prince sleeps in a fleece nest. Also do you mean Roborovski?

(chins for the win!)

Yes, sorry, not enough letters!
    This is why I just call them Robo's lol X(
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    lol. took me years to pronounce that word right.

(chins for the win!)

• HarlequinnHarlequinn Lemming
    May I ask what type of fleece to use? I would like to make some hammocks for the girls and possible fleece lined shelves to add a bit of levels for some climbing.
    It's not the real woolen fleece but the stuff that you get cheap blankets made out of. I think some people call it polar fleece?
  • HarlequinnHarlequinn Lemming
    Oh cool! I used that to make my niece a blanket, I might have extra laying around. They won't chew it?
    They might chew it, they might not. Some mice are more destructive than others X(