Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Fleece?

Sorry I kinda asked a similar question in the Health category earlier today. But does anybody use fleece liners for their meece?

I was doing some more research on fleece and couldn't find much :P

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I use fleece hammocks and blankets for their beds but for the bottom of the cage I use shredded paper.
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    I tried fleece in the first tank I used. I found it smelly quite quickly. I have made them several fleece hammocks though and they like those and I change them more regularly than I change the whole place. Just pick the poos out and put on a hot wash.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and Teddy the hamster.
    Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills
  • stephlisa87stephlisa87 Lemming
    I use fleece to make hammocks and a cosy nesting cube. I replace them when they get too smelly (the cube about once every two-three weeks currently), but Colin generally keeps things fairly clean (he is also only a single mouse so if you have a group of girls it might get smellier quicker).
    I also give him a small amount of little fleece squares as bedding material, but the majority of his bedding is paper based.
    Just a little boy mouse called Colin
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    For chins fleece 'substrate' is awesome but the smaller rodents like digging. Hammocks and stuff is  good though.

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    I'm sure the fleece is fine Meece17 if that's what you want to use. But as Kawaii said, meece do enjoy a bit of digging. If you want to continue with the fleece liners, you could maybe consider putting a little bit of shredded paper on top? Best of both worlds?

Personally I use something called Biocatolet, which is a recycled paper cat litter. I find it keeps the smell down really well, and is good for digging in :) Then shredded loo roll/tissues for their houses/nests. 
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • NuttySianNuttySian Mouse
    edited April 2016 Posts: 214
    I used fleece liners a few years back when I had a mouse with a bad skin infection, they were very handy as they didn't irritate, but were still comfortable for him.

I used to use fleece offcuts mixed in with whatever other bedding I was using which they enjoyed.
  • Meece17Meece17 Lemming
    Thanks so so much for all your answers guys. I really appreciate it!
  • Meece17Meece17 Lemming
    Oh almost forgot mouselover, I'm defiantly going to take your advice and I'm planning on building a digging box for paper bedding as soon as I get home from holiday;)
    Sweet :) sounds fun!
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • SusanneDerrSusanneDerr Lemming
    Nice ideas!
    On subject of fleece - do hamsters appreciate/can they have a fleece hammock?
    I don't have a hamster but will owe a favour to a hamster owner shortly and wondered if I could make a hammock for them (I have made hammocks for mice, it's not shop-bought perfect but my mice like it).
    image.jpg
    1785 x 1624 - 655K
    Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills
    Sarahnash - that hammock looks neat :) I like all the bedding/nesting material on it too, looks cosy!

I've never owned a hamster but I have seen others people's hamster cage setups and have seen hammocks used :) so I guess they like them too! Just maybe make it a bit bigger if it's for a big syrian.
    Thanks ML, I think he is a little hamster, Roboski? I'll go ahead, not a pink one though as he is a boy :)
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Yes hamsters can have fleece hammocks. Prince sleeps in a fleece nest. Also do you mean Roborovski?

(chins for the win!)

Yes, sorry, not enough letters!
    This is why I just call them Robo's lol X(
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    lol. took me years to pronounce that word right.

(chins for the win!)

• HarlequinnHarlequinn Lemming
    May I ask what type of fleece to use? I would like to make some hammocks for the girls and possible fleece lined shelves to add a bit of levels for some climbing.
    It's not the real woolen fleece but the stuff that you get cheap blankets made out of. I think some people call it polar fleece?
  • HarlequinnHarlequinn Lemming
    Oh cool! I used that to make my niece a blanket, I might have extra laying around. They won't chew it?
    They might chew it, they might not. Some mice are more destructive than others X(