Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Dandelions?

I recently came across something that said mice enjoy dandelions. We never weed our garden (lol) and have lots of them available.
Does anyone know - is it the leaves or the flowers they enjoy? Or both? And can I give them a wash, and give them straight to the mice, or do they need to be frozen?
Any other flowers mice might enjoy? Daisies? Even if they don't eat them, I'm sure they'd enjoy ripping them apart X(
Hamster: Archie
Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger

Comments

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    edited April 2016 Posts: 255
    I know  hamsters can have roots, leaves, and flowers. Same with chinchillas and would guess also with mice. Just small pieces though. I wouldn't freeze, but refridgerating will keep them from going off.
    Daisies are a no.
    Safe plants:
    Dead nettles (both kinds)
    Goose grass 
    Bramble
    Clover
    Lavender 
    Hibiscus (dried anyway it's safe)
    Nettle (they don't sting if dried)
    Raspberry
    Strawberry
    Nasturium (I think)

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    There's lots more though.

Unsafe plants:
    Daisies
    Buttercups
    Daffodils
    Ragwort
    Dock leaves
    Anything that may have been sprayed at any point.
    There's also more  to this list but I can't remember the rest.

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Being honest, I wouldn`t risk it. I doubt even wild mice eat Dandelions and it`s not worth risking a tummy upset up it was to cause one. Better to stick to safe raw veg like broccoli, garden peas, carrot and sweet corn. Mice are not big on fresh veg but it`s worth trying as they are full of good vitamins, especially broccoli which has cancer fighting properties, although mice may not enjoy the taste. Hamsters seem to like it though. x
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    racingmouse - I wouldn't have thought mice would like dandelions either, but when I was sat in my dining room (which has big glass doors overlooking the garden) I saw a little wild mouse. He was sat there munching some kind of weed - not sure if it was a dandelion he was munching, but he was next to some dandelions so I thought maybe it was. So I googled it, and lots of people say they like them :) I've not tried it though.

I've had mice who won't touch veggies, no matter what. Others who will only eat crunchy veggies, like raw carrot. Honey loves veggies. When we have a Sunday roast, she has a little bit of everything - peas, carrots, potato, parsnip, broccoli, whatever's going! :D
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,227
    Yes, they can be fussy little blighters! Especially when it comes to veg! Also some fruits. That`s was nice that you saw a wee wild mouse munching! He/she may have been eating the foliage or nibbling a piece of grass. Difficult to say if it was from some distance.
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Neither my boys or girls like carrots, but do like the green carrot tops. They also love strawberry tops (again the green leaves, not the fruit part). They all love broccoli, peas in their pods (hours of entertainment chewing through one to get to the peas) and sweetcorn (baby and big).  Though I now limit sweetcorn feasts as is a bit too high in calories (so the vet tells me). And if you can get a sweetcorn still in it's husk that's amazing fun.  Some raw or cooked potato bits go down OK.   Have also treated the boys to one of those grow-veg-at-home-for-children type thing - a lettuce or kale in a pot.  Great fun digging it out and destroying and eating it.

Sadly the girls don't get any of that ATM as still on the Supreme Selective looks like cardboard diet. :(

Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley.
    Never forgotten fancy girl mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex, wild mice Harry Houdini and Little Wills
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Sarahnash - I've heard good things about the Supreme Selective food. How's it going? My mice can be "selective eaters" when it comes to their mix, so I've considered switching to make sure they're getting all their nutrients. But I guess it's a little boring compared to a mix?

Be careful with strawberry tops - I might be wrong, but I think I heard once that they can be poisonous?
    I gave my mice a strawberry once, and they just ate all the tiny little seeds on the outside, it was cute  :\">
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Hey MouseLover - have been using Supreme Selective for 2 weeks.  It takes the thought out of it - it recommends 3-5g per mouse per day and each biscuit weighs 1g.  So I break up 20 biscuits in the morning and 20 in the evening (40g/10 girls, approx. 4g per girl).  Sometimes the bowl is licked clean, sometimes not.  I read mice don't overeat for fun, but I think it must have high calories as pretty much everyone has put on weight.  Kelly (who was too big to start with) put on 4g in ONE WEEK.   So I'd say, its good but maybe just use for one meal and do other food for the other meal.   That said I am persevering with SS till Tuesday as that is what the vet said.  And as suggested by kyrilliondaemon I sometimes mash 5 biscuits and mix with water and make into little soft balls to encourage Dylan to eat - I think her jaw/teeth are bothering her again.  And everyone likes them!
    Re: poisonous strawberry tops - ooh I hope not - I just dished two out for the boys.  They have eaten previously with no ill effects.   But being wild maybe their constitution is different to domestic.  I feed the boys once a day only as they don't take the exercise like the girls do. They have a wheel but largely ignore it. 
    'Sorry, you want us to what???  Run on a wheel,  pur-leese!'
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley.
    Never forgotten fancy girl mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex, wild mice Harry Houdini and Little Wills