Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

A very specific and strange diet

A pet shop near me was given instructions in regards of what to feed their mice who were from a local ethical breeder and I was wondering whether I should stick to the very specific diet or gradually change it over time. I was given a note from the deputy manager that contains the mixes of the diet which is a mixture of Rat Royale (I cannot see any Rat Royale pellets in the mix so I can only assume it is Supreme Reggie Rat), Hemp seed,  Pigeon Conditioning mix and Country Rabbit Royale. The sample bag that I got from the shop smells very sweet! Does this sound right or not?

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    It sounds a perfectly acceptable mix but you might want to tweak it later, most of us who make our own mixes tend to change the odd ingredient from time to time or lower the protein content when mice get older.
  • threeblindmicethreeblindmice Lemming
    edited April 2016 Posts: 11
    Should I add Rat Royale to the mix? Adding the rat food is what is confusing me since I am not entirely sure which one the manager meant. It just says 'regular rat mix' on the note he gave me. This is what the sample bag looks like:image
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Basically, mice need a diet of mainly grains and seeds, with just a bit of animal protein. The rabbit food (the bit that probably smells sweet) and the pigeon food will provide the bulk of the grains and the rat food will contain some seeds and animal protein.

It would be alright to give the mice "just" the commercial rat mix (any of the better brands) and that would provide roughly the right balance but I wouldn't worry too much to begin with. I stopped using a rabbit food in my mix because the mice were leaving too much of it and then I heard that mice love Kallo organic rice puffs so I started to add that to my mix. I'm sure you'll find you change a few ingredients over a period of time but it's best not to completely change their diet overnight.

Getting the protein level right is key to having healthy mice. They shouldn't have as much protein in their diet as a hamster and because hamster mixes are generally the commercial mixes available in the shops it has encouraged mouse keepers to experiment with their own mixes.

• threeblindmicethreeblindmice Lemming
    Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me! I am going to see how I go and I will gradually change things around about if I feel the mice don't enjoy some of their food as much.