Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

"Shunamite" diet principle?

Saw it mentioned in another thread but what is it?????

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    edited May 2016 Posts: 936
    This link should explain more http://shunamiterats.co.uk/about-this-site/ 
    Thanked by 2Kawaii Crittery
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse

I used to follow the Shunamite principle when I kept rats but mice have similar diets anyway so it works both ways. You begin by using a `base` mix and adding things to it, although it does mention things like dog/puppy kibble and rabbit food which I wouldn`t use. I much prefer the small grain mixes for mice and hamsters and try to stay with seeds and grains that were formulated for those reasons, rather than add in a lot of other stuff that may or may not work.

A low protein maintenance diet for adult mice is sufficient and something with higher protein for younger growing mice. Supreme make a mouse `Science Selective` now which is a whole food, but I buy the hamster version as I have a dwarf hamster and he gets these broken up biscuits added to his hamster mix, which is currently JR Farm dwarf food but will switch to Burgess dwarf food when he is on the final bag of the JR food as they both contain millets which he loves.

Variety is good though so the Shunamite offers some ideas. x

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Hmm can you not just find a decent mix and use that?

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....