Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

How soon is too soon to gice new mice a tasty fresh treat?

HarlequinnHarlequinn Lemming
edited May 2016 in Feeding and Nutrition
So I have only had my 5 new girls for just under 24hrs, and i already want to give them a tasty treat when they wake up from their nap. I have Kale, strawberries, bananas, frozen peas and broccoli, and carrots on hand. Is it too soon to give them any of these foods? I know to pace myself and not try to interact too fast for their own good, but I also want to establish a good and varied diet.

Comments

• SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Hello Harlequinn, that sounds like nice healthy treats! I'm all for vegetables for mice but in case it's new to them start small in case it upsets their stomachs and gut. Look out for green wet malformed poos and you know it was too much too soon. But a pea probably will be ok.
    Mum to Bosley the rat and Teddy the hamster.
    Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills and Charlie the gentle-man Rat.
  • HarlequinnHarlequinn Lemming
    Okay cool! Now this may seem silly but how? They are in a two level cage and there are five of them and one of me haha if they were more comfortable i could five each one by hand but I'm thinking put them in a bowl and set it on the bottom level for about 10 minutes before I take it back out?
    10-20mins sounds fine to me.  And depending on heat and environment you don't want veg sat there too long anyway. They possibly wont take from your hand yet so bowl is your option.
    Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills and Charlie the gentle-man Rat.
    8-| we ate the peas last night. I forgot haha So Kale, strawberry, or carrot is readily eatable on hand right now.
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    The key is to introduce things slowly, so a pea per mouse, or a small piece of strawberry per mouse should be fine. Put some out in a little bowl when they're out and about. Personally I'd be happy leaving it there for a couple of hours.
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
    Okay I went and got a tiny stainless steel bowl to use for fresh foods and will be giving them a tiny but of strawberry in a little while. I sure hope they like it!
    My girls are funny, and like to eat all the tiny seeds off the outside of strawberries before they touch the actual fruit X(

Sometimes mice don't like the look of fresh food if it's new to them, so if they don't eat it, don't be put off of trying again in the future. They change their minds sometimes ;)
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
    They wanted absolutely nothing to do with the strawberries hahaha so i tried again with baby greens- spinach and kale. There was more interest by all but mostly Kyle throwing it around... Silly girl hehe
    My girls like the strawberry stalks and green leaves, but not the fruit. MouseLover's likes the seeds.  No mouse the same!  Current fav is peas in pod, they have to work at getting the peas out (and also throw it everywhere!)
    I might have to pick up some peas in the pods tomorrow At work then, give them something fun and yummy!

Personally I'd be happy leaving it there for a couple of hours.

Actually I personally agree with you ML.  I leave the veg there all the time (they're fed twice a day). 
    I was quoting what my vet said to me and was being ultra careful in my offered opinions (as I am not a vet and a relative newbie to mice, albeit an enthusiastic one).  Wouldn't want anyone taking it as absolutes. 
    Their going to get some banana chunks in about an hour when my fiance gets home and cracks into his daily banana haha we'll see how it goes!
    Haha that's kinda what I do - I just give my mice a little bit of what I'm having hehe.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 40
    They have their own little stainless steel bowl to try and keep the mess contained, and it's easy to thoroughly clean after each use. So i just cut up whatever their having and pop it in the cage near a best and little noses come out : Selena LOVED banana. Nobody else wanted a nibble.

However I was giving the goldfish a 'salad' of blanched kale and spinach with vita chem mixed in and the mice were staring at me from across the room as if they knew someone else was getting yummies.