Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

I think i see blood on the bedding?

Hello, I did a bit of spot cleaning this morning and all was well in the cage. Now I just saw Sneak leave the igloo where she was sleeping with Khaleesi and Harley, and slowly crawl over to lay under the wheel and apparently bathe herself. This didn't seem irregular for her as she is named Sneak because she moves along in a thoughtful slow way as if she is thinking pretty good about where she is headed. However I then spotted the tiniest red spot on the bedding that could be blood but I dont know. I did not see or hear and fighting or squeaking or any kind of panic and I had been watching the 3 for a good few minutes before Sneak got up.

Comments

• MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Is there anything red in the cage or in the food that could have caused a red spot on the bedding perhaps?

Personally I'd want to give the mice a check over to make sure no-one's wounded or anything. If you think it's too early to handle them, would it be possible to coax them into a clear container (e.g. a drinking glass or jar), and pick that up so that you can have a look over them from all angles? One at a time maybe?
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • HarlequinnHarlequinn Lemming
    Right afterward and yesterday I spent an hour just observing everyone and I did not see any injuries on anyone except a small spot on sneaks belly that I saw when she stretched up while leaning on the cage side. It is very small and looks like its been cleaned but I changed out all the nesting material she has been using and offered fresh clean material just in case. Today she is looking more lively. None of the other girls has shown any aggression, and seeing as she has been slow moving since I got her is it possible she was bitten by a mouse that had previously been in the tank at the store? They were the last five and the guy said a large group had just been purchased the day before.
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Keep an eye out for fighting/aggression just in case, but it's possible a mouse at the store bit her. Maybe double check the toys etc in their cage/tank in case there's something sharp that may have done it.

As long as it's small and looks like it's clean and healing well I wouldn't worry.
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • HarlequinnHarlequinn Lemming
    First thing I checked was toys and hideouts and then double checked where the bars are attached for anyhing sharp I may have missed while putting it together but everything potentially sharp has been filed down and just to be sure it was all coated in non toxic hot glue and all the glue strings removed.