Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Taming Advice

So I have been browsing through looking for tips to start taming the girls, and to make it simpler thought i would just ask. When I only had two mice it was easier to take them out one at a time for a bathtub session to help them get more used to me and me them, but I am not sure how to proceed with five. I have only had them 2 days so i know it is a bit early but I like to research ahead of time. I am content now to observe their habits and personalities for another day or so but I dont want to let it go too long before beginning as I dont want them to remain afraid.

Also do to the way I built their cage I can only pick them up from above or if they are at the very front of either level there are doors, didn't exactly think ahead on that. My bad haha any advice would be wonderfull!

Comments

• MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    If you have a big plastic tub/bin or a bathtub (with the plug in and a towel down) you could use, or any other large area that they won't be able to escape from/jump out of, you could set up a little mouse playground for them in there. Then as they're running about exploring you could try and handle them one at a time.

Also if you have a bath, sometimes for taming I'll lie down in the tub and just let the mice run all over me :) A human climbing frame haha. When I'm more confident with them, I'll use my bed or a sofa, but it could be tricky with 5 to keep an eye on where they're all going X(
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    ML I'm so glad you said that. I thought I might be weird. I collect interested girls up my sleeve and lay down on a towel in the front room.  They seem to prefer it if their host (my body) is horizontal.  Anyway they go crazy running around inside my clothes. Sometimes people come out and make off a little way but they come back.  And I have my partner there to catch the escape artists, just in case.  The tamer ones will sit on my chest under my chin or in my curled hand.  Just chillin'!  
    Not saying you should jump straight to this Harlequinn, just something to look forward to :).
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • HarlequinnHarlequinn Lemming
    I used the bath tub with my two girls previously with fairy good results from one of them who after one session would come and climb into my hand for treats! I started today with placing my hand in the cage slightly buried in bedding with a bit of food on it. Selena and Kyle both said heck no. But Khaleesi and Harley came the closest before running away. Sneak however had no problem walking on my hand, under my wrist, standing with her front paws on my wrist and sniffing me. She didn't take any food but walked all over me.
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Aaw sweet :) that sounds like good progress! I love Sneak's name, so cute for a mouse.
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • HarlequinnHarlequinn Lemming
    I think little miss Sneak is going to be the easiest to tame, while Khaleesi and Harley will be the hardest.
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Maybe try cutting up a cardboard box to make a tall playpen there's no risk of anyone escaping from?
    Then just lie down in there with them....I've done that with guinea pigs and chinchillas, the pad of  teeny feetsies running over you is the best feeling ever.

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....