Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Hi from Toffee and me

Hello from me and my mouse boy Toffee; the two mouse forums I used to know are now closed (mice are nice, and the fun mouse) and I thought I had already registered here sometime but it didn't recognise the email address I'm using so I made a new account.
Over the most recent years, all my mice have come from Little Paws Rescue, an animal shelter in the north of England, until recently I had two boys, brothers, which were born in the shelter and then came to live with me. One of them died, probably of old age heart failure, very recently, the other is alive and happy. The curious thing is to me, the surviving one has had bad lungs for 7 months which the vet couldn't cure, but the one who died was always healthy. One afternoon, I saw him clinging to one of his toys with his heart working hard, and when I took him off there he felt cold; he kept himself warm on my body for about another 10 hours where he went to sleep sometimes and finally had peace. He couldn't eat and only drank one more time. I didn't try to take him to the vet before closing because he wouldn't have survived the trip there, I knew it was time for him to leave.
This week, I'm expecting two new arrivals from the shelter, two boys again, one of them apparently bites and they said they didn't find a home for him (I always ask they should pick them for me and give me those which nobody wants). That will be interesting, I've never had a mouse which by definition bites, haha! My only mouse now is 1 year and seven months old, he was seven weeks when he got here.
Tagged:

Comments

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Hello and welcome to you and Toffee. Sorry to hear you lost Toffees brother. Good luck with your new boys,I'm looking forward to hearing more about them.
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Hi there, welcome to the forum :)

I've also had healthy mice die, and sickly mice live a long time. It's so strange sometimes. You can never predict how long each mouse will last.

By the way, many of the fun mouse members are continuing on at a new forum: http://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/ :)
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • IronButterflyIronButterfly Lemming
    Toffee closer to 1 year and 9 months, forgot his first 7 weeks with his mother in the shelter. Thank you, the other site doesn't work on my devices, haven't had any problems with this one.
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Hi IronButterfly. Glad you found this site even though it`s not as active as the old forums were. I try to log in when I can but don`t have any mice now, just an older dwarf hamster! It`s great that you are taking in more rescue males as they always end up as great characters. The `biter` will probably become a `non biter` once he settles with you. Some mice just nip out of fear or misunderstanding but rarely viciousness. Although there are possibly a few who are!
  • IronButterflyIronButterfly Lemming

Hi IronButterfly. Glad you found this site even though it`s not as active as the old forums were. I try to log in when I can but don`t have any mice now, just an older dwarf hamster! It`s great that you are taking in more rescue males as they always end up as great characters. The `biter` will probably become a `non biter` once he settles with you. Some mice just nip out of fear or misunderstanding but rarely viciousness. Although there are possibly a few who are!

The two I've recently had were never very happy with direct skin contact, so could always bite if picked up with the hand, but I could live with that as long as they were happy playing, and just climbed on my sleeve instead. Only when one of them was dying he finally came to warm himself on me and even crawled into my armpit. Yes, I always take the bucks because they're always the 'leftovers'. And they make such great mouse friends! Dwarf hamsters are so lovely, I hope yours will live a long time yet in good health!
  • Meece17Meece17 Lemming
    Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about Toffees friend  :-/ Hope to see many happy posts about the new boys you are getting!