Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Why do people think dwarfies are mean?!

Not that I am biased or anything but...!

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    edited May 2016 Posts: 1,165
    Possibly because they place human emotions and behaviours being the same in hamsters. A hamster that lunges and bites for example will sometimes be said to be `evil` or `my hamster hates me`. Rather than, `my hamster is showing territorial behaviours because....`

Understanding dwarf hamster behaviour is something anyone thinking about keeping one should try and read up on. The lad I have at the moment has always been nervous and anxious about being out in the open. He comes out gingerly and will lean over his dish to take food and I can talk to him and even stroke him while he`s doing this. But the moment he`s finished, he won`t stay out, he immediately darts off back under cover. That`s just the way he likes things. I have attempted to get him into a clear box while spot cleaning, but that resulted in him showing anxiety and me feeling his teeth (even though he didn`t bite me) he was using his body language to express his discomfort, so I put him straight back into his cage where he knows he is safe and secure. Their cage at the end of the day is their safe haven and they feel safe when in their cage. x
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    I hear that they're more bitey than syrians? But they are smaller, so it would make sense for them to feel more threatened  :-? They're adorable though.
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 529
    I think they've just got a bad reputation, you can get the odd bitey hybrid but they seem pretty rare and you get the odd bitey syrian too! To be honest I've had more bites from syrian hamsters than dwarf hams, although thats not saying much - I've not had many bites from either. Altogether its been er... three syrians and two hybrids who've bitten me badly enough to draw blood, plus I've had a nasty nip from a chinese. We have had another syrian or two who've been warned are biters/nibbly, we've just dodged being bitten while taming them lol. Macaroni (russian dwarf) was also apparently nippy in her last home but we've had her about a month now and we've not felt her teeth at all :)
    I find syrian bites nastier than dwarf bites but they do have bigger teeth, to be honest neither bothers me much and I know perfectly well that half the time all someone needs to do to make me fall for a ham is accuse it of biting and/or being nasty, I'm convinced the vast majority of "evil" or "bitey" hamsters just need someone willing to spend a bit of time working with them in a way they're comfortable with.
    Currently one of two pet-humans of some hamsters (syrian, roborovski, chinese and russian hybrid), mice, mongolian gerbils and a duprasi :)