Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

My chinchillas

KawaiiKawaii Lemming
edited June 2016 in General Rodent Chatter
I did have a chinny thread on here but wanted to start over with a new one. I don't want to have to look at an the old photos of Ash.
I know I should have posted sooner, I kept putting it off but it's not made it any easier. I think memorial type posts are always hard but considering Ash was found forever sleeping on the 10th of March that should give you an idea of how distraught I was (and still am really).
I wish I could say what he died of - but even our wonderful vet couldn't say for certain, although he speculated that the most likely cause was an undiagnosed heart condition. It was only after Ash's death that I realised he had been consuming easily double the amount of water Paddy had, which is one of the few symptoms linked to heart conditions in chinchillas. They can also be lethargic or reluctant to exercise but Ash was never anything like that ; he loved his big metal wheel. I wish I knew how old he actually was, but we'd always thought that whilst nine months was a good estimate for Paddy, Ash was probably older. He was much quieter.

I referred to Paddy and Ash as my sun and stars- Paddy was bright and in your face and curious all the time; Ash was much less 'Loud' yet he was sweet and gentle and polite in a hundred thousand charming ways of his own. Words do not do justice to how much I miss him. Paddy does too... He didn't want to gnaw or dust bathe in the first days after we had buried Ash. But this also made him a prime candidate for rebonding... Preferably to a baby chin... Which leads me onto my next chinny update...

Notts Nibblers fans will have heard about Cosmos already but cut those of you that don't know...

Cossy's grandmother, mum and aunt came to NNRR in a tiny cage full of plastic with two male chinchillas. On the fifth of March the oldest of Cassie-chins daughters gave birth to a little grey boy, who was named Cosmos. He was the obvious choice for bonding because of his age, plus as much as I really didn't want to get another chin, (and I really didn't, at least not until I got to touch him myself at NNRR) the prospect of knowing my chins birthday and having pictures of him from six days old was a highly attractive one. A cage was procured from a degu rescue in Luton * then on the 28th, my mother and myself drove the 130miles up to Nottingham with a box of toys and treats, two bales of hay and a tiny blue carrier. Then we drove all the way back home again, this time bereft of our box of donation goodies and the hay bales but having gained a tiny grumpy ball of fluff. :)

He isn't nearly so grumpy since coming home however and had already shown interest in Paddy though. :) see the pictures ha ha he loves sleeping and climbing on my arms. :D

*the degu rescue the cage came from was called little bites, they have a hundred degus looking for homes as well as some reptiles. I got to hold a baby corn snake! Which isn't something that happens every day! :O and a pregnant degu who had been dumped in a Carboard box on their doorstep. If you know anyone looking to add a goo or two to their family please direct them to little bites, the couple who run it are seeking to downsize urgently. So need adoptees for their degus!!

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

Comments

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Ughn apparently all my pics are too big :/

(chins for the win!)

• NickyNicky Mouse
    So sorry to hear about Ash. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of Cosmos.
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Hey Kawaii
    I am sorry to hear of your loss. I understand the reluctance to join in and sound happy when you are not.
    It is complete to hear you are bringing a Cosmos to join your Sun and although he cannot replace your Star they will continue to brighten your life.
    I hope you understand that in the spirit it's meant, not naff. I have to have something positive to remember mine by.
    Good luck with all, make the pictures smaller! :) want to see!
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Worked out how to post piccies of Cosmos :)
    2016-06-02 19.27.57.png
    481 x 481 - 379K

(chins for the win!)

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    He is especially precious when he sleeps
    2016-06-02 19.27.57.png
    481 x 481 - 379K
    2016-06-02 19.30.59.png
    573 x 457 - 463K
    2016-06-02 19.32.05.png
    741 x 672 - 625K

(chins for the win!)

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    He's very handleable. And he weighs 300grams which is quite a lot for a chin just under 3 months old. Especially as Paddy is fully grown and just 400grams .
    2016-06-02 19.32.47.png
    776 x 641 - 697K
    2016-06-02 19.33.50.png
    784 x 710 - 774K
    2016-06-02 19.34.25.png
    868 x 697 - 952K

(chins for the win!)

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    This was him on the way home. He travelled really well :)
    2016-06-02 19.35.19.png
    734 x 878 - 961K

(chins for the win!)

• SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    He looks a lovely man, kind of studious.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

I'm so sorry to hear about Ash. Rest in peace little fella.

Cosmos looks very sweet and I hope he'll become good friends with Paddy.

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Cosmos is adorable :\">
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Cosmos! What a great name :D he's lovely!
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger