Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Is it better to start small?

Okay, things are moving more quickly than I had originally planned, and I may be getting a winter white this weekend :D It's a 7 week old boy!

When I get new mice, I tend to start them off in a smaller cage first, as they seem to feel safer in the smaller space, and I find it helps with the taming process. When they've settled in, and are reasonably tame, I move them to a larger cage.

Would this be a good thing to do for a dwarf hamster, or would he be better off going straight into a bigger cage? 
Hamster: Archie
Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Ooohhh I would love a winter white. All I can tell you is my experience with our new dwarf Elfie. The cage she came in is so small with only a top opening (a well known pet chain recommended this to the last owner for two dwarfs ) that when I put my hand in it seems to take up all the space and be looming over her ,to the point she has screamed in fear.I blooming hate this cage and wish they didn't sell them.. I also have put my mice in a smaller cage to tame and its worked . maybe its just the bad design of Elfies cage
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Congrats on new boy. Re sizes and hamsters - no knowledge here but perhaps ask the owner what size he's used to and work to that? But my instinct says go smaller, can always get larger.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini