Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

First aid kit?

I was wondering if I should keep a basic first aid kit for all the rodents . Mice, Hamsters, Guineapigs, Rats. Any suggestions what should be in it would be most helpful.

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

Good topic, I think ages ago we had a similar thread but I can't find it now.

I keep a first aid kit which comprises:

salt to make up saline solution for bathing wounds, cotton buds, anti-fungal cream (Lamisil), mite treatment, syringes of various sizes.

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Thanks Ann that's great.Where do you buy the Lamisil from?
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Just had a look round for the Lamisil found it. So far I have got
    Tea tree cream.
    Cohesive bandage.
    Cotton buds.
    And have ordered some Echanacia. This helps boost the immune system.
    Not got a lot but its a start.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Sorry it took a while to get back to you Nicky, that's a great start.

To be honest, unless you've had a mouse with OCD scratching I wouldn't rush out to get the Lamisil cream.

One of the best tips I can give is to get your pets used to taking a treat from you, because it makes life so much easier if they take medication on one of their favourite foods.

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Thanks Ann. I had never herd of Lamisil cream and was just curious what it was. Yes your right a about the treat thing. Another good tip I found which works with rats is if you give them a treat with meds in,don't ever give them the same treat with out the meds as they will realise its different.
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    I so agree with AnnB post - get them used to taking 'medication' - treats on the hand or water in a syringe via gentle scuffing. Assume they will need it, hope they won't. I have some shy girls and dread the thought of medicating them.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley.
    Never forgotten fancy girl mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex, wild mice Harry Houdini and Little Wills
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    I've often toyed with the idea of training my mice by giving them a tiny bit of apple juice from a syringe, fairly regularly, maybe once a week. I'm sure it would make the first medication easy, but baytril tastes so awful, maybe it would undo the training pretty much instantly? hmmm...
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger